Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:30 AM
reno928s
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front splitter

By installing a front splitter, will this make my car handle better or worse than having the undertrays and batwing at top speed? Also does it bolt right on to your lower spoiler? TIA, Reno
Old 06-03-2007, 05:59 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it improves high speed handling and replaces the batwing.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:30 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

zero difference. i track my car on a regular basis and have had an AIR splitter in place and felt no difference what so ever to the standard setup. speed in excess of 240km/h. it is just for looks. if the splitter was capable of any downforce it would rip off being made of fiberglass. it is just for looks and i must admit it does look good.
sean
Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The splitter does two things. The bad is that it adds aerodynamic drag compared to the factory bat wing meaning a lower top speed. The good is that it allows less air to go under the car adding overall downforce. That is why it is called a splitter not a front wing. Typically aerodynamic bits on a car do not have much effect until you reach speeds over 100 mph. Well, unless they are huge like this...

To me the car feels more stable at speeds above 100 with the splitter. But I must add that when I drove the car at those speeds the front was lowered more than the rear with ride height adjustment. I have not had the opportunity to drive at those kind of speeds since balancing the suspension ride heights.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
But I must add that when I drove the car at those speeds the front was lowered more than the rear with ride height adjustment. I have not had the opportunity to drive at those kind of speeds since balancing the suspension ride heights.
So are you saying you have not done a true apples to apples comparison with the batwing?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by reno928s
By installing a front splitter, will this make my car handle better or worse than having the undertrays and batwing at top speed? Also does it bolt right on to your lower spoiler? TIA, Reno
It is entirely dependent on the size, shape and height from the ground of the individual splitter.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not gone out and done a high speed run with the batwing, then swapped out for a splitter and then ran the same high speed run, No. And I am not going to.

My compairson is an 88 Turbo S driven for 4 years with the stock batwing and then 7 years later owning and driving a 89 Turbo for 2 years with a AIR splitter. The 89 with splitter feels more stable at high speeds than the 88 with batwing. The 88 S when at speeds above 120 felt a little floaty and buffeted by the wind. My best description is that it felt like I was in a small plane. The 89 with splitter feels basically the same at 140 as it did at 70.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JET951
zero difference. i track my car on a regular basis and have had an AIR splitter in place and felt no difference what so ever to the standard setup. speed in excess of 240km/h. it is just for looks. if the splitter was capable of any downforce it would rip off being made of fiberglass. it is just for looks and i must admit it does look good.
sean

Hell I want one just for the looks of the thing.

IPSC
Old 06-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sean
Just because you didn't feel the difference doesn't mean there isn't one.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

true Rich,
and just because i didnt feel any difference means there was one either, a lot of people tell little fibs when they upgrade or change parts on their car to either justify the money they paid for the part or not look like a fool in front of others. i bought the splitter for its looks not for any sort of performance advantage as i knew there must not be one as the splitter is made of fiberglass. if there were to be some sort of pressure on it then it would break off.
sean
Old 06-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

i bought the splitter for its looks not for any sort of performance advantage as i knew there must not be one as the splitter is made of fiberglass. if there were to be some sort of pressure on it then it would break off.
That's not entirely true either Sean.

You're thinking that the splitter acts like a wing to redirect airflow upwards, therefore putting a downward pressure on the splitter, and that if the splitter bends or flexes, it doesn't work.

The truth is that a proper splitter will reduce the amount of air going under the front of the car, this creates a low pressure zone below the engine, and helps to suck the entire front of the car down. This pressure zone does not act on the splitter alone, it acts on the whole car. I admit that this is a difficult concept to understand. Of course, if your splitter is loose, it will absorb some of that pressure, but I bolted mine on pretty strong, did you?

Whether or not you can FEEL the difference depends on a lot of things. Firstly, on a car with a very stiff suspension, you won't feel it as much as on a car with stock springs, that's a given. Secondly, the car is very heavy to begin with (in comparison to an open wheeler) so any sort of downforce is very difficult to feel, especially if you are not used to feeling the difference.

Also, you (and I ) are running an AIR splitter on a street legal car. A GT splitter on a lowered RACE car will be far more efficient, even if the splitters were equal in strength and flexibility.

Many of us are not experienced enough to really feel the minute difference in extra downforce that the splitter (or even a 968TRS wing) gives, even if we think we are.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 AM
reno928s
Pro

Once the batwing is removed are there any structural issues withe the front spoiler? Thanks for all the replies, Reno
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

The AIR splitter comes without any of the holes. You can drill all the same holes (if you're smart) that the stock batwing has. This will give you optimum strength.

Also, I recommend mounting the splitter on the bumper with the bumper off the car, this way you can BOLT the splitter to the bumper more securely than with screws.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
The AIR splitter comes without any of the holes. You can drill all the same holes (if you're smart) that the stock batwing has. This will give you optimum strength.

Also, I recommend mounting the splitter on the bumper with the bumper off the car, this way you can BOLT the splitter to the bumper more securely than with screws.
100% agree with that.

If you need some pictures of how to install and where to drill holes, lemme know.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

ballistic...post those please.

Quick Reply: Front splitter