Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Videos of my 87' 951 after new T04b and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow your car looks AWESOME.

I think a MAF would be the cherry on top, nice work!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get wheelspin at the top of first gear at about 20 mph and then again in 2nd gear at about 40 mph. It's only for about a second and then the tires hook up again. I think you would get really wild wheel spin with this combo and no LSD with smaller tires.

I'm running 18" wheels. They're from a 993TT (not the aftermarket knock off ones). I got them from a fellow rennlister who thought they rode too rough (you feel every bump) but I really love that. The tires are 225/40ZR18 in the front (Continental ContiSportContacts) and 265/35ZR18 in the rear (Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions). These are the tires that came with the wheels and they work awesome even though they aren't the same make.

Glad you like the car. How I started with the mods is the following:
- First I got everything in top shape (changed ALL fluids in the entire car, front end reseal, belts, rollers, steering rack, plugs, wires, distributor, fuel filter, etc).
- Then I bought a Vitesse chip (now for sale), installed a Tial 38 mm wastegate, aftermarket boost gauge, and a Hallman MBC.
- Then I bought the T04b turbo, 72 lb Siemens injectors (from Racetronix), 3.0 Bar FPR, 951 Max chip

I definitely bought things in two distinct stages. I think I would pretty much do it the same way again. It was good to get the feel of the car with just the Vitesse chip before proceeding to the full turbo swap.

I think a MAF will be the next step but I'll also want to add a wideband AFR gauge and EBC at the same time. This will definitely be a few months down the road. I have to get a stealth MAF since I'm in California and CARB really frowns on big cone filters in the engine bay.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people I talk to seem to have traction problems on 300whp+ cars.
I run 225s in the rear and with LSD I have zero traction problems in a straight line.
I used to think that my car was performing poorly.
I did a few 50-90mph tests at 15psi last year, and my car is a bit quicker than in the video posted here.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:48 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Has the car been dyno'd yet? I'm curious to see what it makes at a decent pressure level (16-18). I'm about to install a TO4E on my 951 with a stock AFM (temporarily), and I'd be curious to see what others are making with similar setups.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car hasn't been dynoed yet.
My clutch is slipping and I'm afraid that a couple of pulls would kill it completely.
I also have a few issues I need to iron out. I still runs like a champ, though.
Even at 12psi (my low setting) it's very responsive, but I still have traction at 18psi.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

I haven't had mine yet to the dyno either.

schnellfahrer, that's definitely interesting that you don't have traction problems. I know when it is cold here (rare because it's California) then I definitely have pronounced wheel spin problems. I'm just glad to hear that your car with a Vitesse Stg2 is only a "bit quicker" than my car. That really makes me feel more satisfied with my current setup. And luckily my clutch only has about 2000 miles on it.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Glad the turbo is doing well for ya! Looks great in your avatar.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

wi54545, the turbo is awesome! I love the sound and performance that it's giving me. How's the Vitesse Stage 3 treating you? Is it a large improvement from the turbo I'm using now? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
Lots of people I talk to seem to have traction problems on 300whp+ cars.
I run 225s in the rear and with LSD I have zero traction problems in a straight line.
I used to think that my car was performing poorly.
I did a few 50-90mph tests at 15psi last year, and my car is a bit quicker than in the video posted here.

Tires can make a HUGE difference. Not just size, but compound. Is obvious but a huge consideration.

A khumo escta (crap tire) will never hook worth a crap LSD or not.
A khumo MX tire - is absolutely night and day different in how it hooks
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale-951
I haven't had mine yet to the dyno either.

schnellfahrer, that's definitely interesting that you don't have traction problems. I know when it is cold here (rare because it's California) then I definitely have pronounced wheel spin problems. I'm just glad to hear that your car with a Vitesse Stg2 is only a "bit quicker" than my car. That really makes me feel more satisfied with my current setup. And luckily my clutch only has about 2000 miles on it.
I'm comparing your run to a couple of 15 psi runs I did last year.
I currently run 18psi. I've done a few tests and the T04e hybrid from Vitesse really comes alive from 18psi and up.
Comparing speedometer readings is rather pointless anyways. We know how off these instruments are.

How much boost are you running?

As for traction, I have little to no traction above 4500rpm in 1st gear.
If it's cold or slightly damp 2nd is more or less useless as well.
Tires are Toyo PROXES T1R.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale-951
wi54545, the turbo is awesome! I love the sound and performance that it's giving me. How's the Vitesse Stage 3 treating you? Is it a large improvement from the turbo I'm using now? What are your thoughts on it?

I love it! It spools almost the same and it makes the same power (butt dyno) at about 2 psi less. I haven't had the courage to go above 14psi without some fuel enhancements, though. The downside was the installation, that was a bear. Car is finally sorted out, new Oil cooler seals and new AOS and associated seals. Just in time for the Atlanta drive!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Sunnyvale-951
Instructor

wi54545, glad to hear that you got it all put back together and love your new turbo. It took me about a week of working on it about 3 hours a day for disassembly and reassembly. Definitely a pain getting off bolts and nuts that haven't been moved since the day they were torqued on at the factory 20 years ago. I also installed new AOS seals (oil cooler and others were done a little while ago). My bottom AOS seal was very hard and let oil past that then eventually dripped onto the exhaust to create some nice smoke at start-up. Have fun on your drive! Post some pics and videos in a thread if you get the chance.

Also, I'm running 16psi of boost.

Quick Reply: Videos of my 87' 951 after new T04b and other mods