Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much is a S2 Trans with oil cooler and LSD worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is a S2 Trans with oil cooler and LSD worth?

The PO put one on my car and I would like to get a 968 box in there so I might want to sell. How much is it worth?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you could get 2K or more off that.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:30 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil coolers and LSD's are nothing but trouble and a tranny is a pain to ship so I doubt anyone would want it. I'll bite the bullet and pay for shipping to my house so you don't have to deal with any more hassle.

Seriously, I agree 2K is the number.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I do not agree, it really depends on mileage. If it's a FRESH box, I would say ~$2k, otherwise I would say $1500-1700.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Since S2 transmissions did not come with oil coolers, this one has been built up using either a turbo trans with an S2 R/P, or possibly adding the LSD and oil cooler from a turbo trans donor to an S2 trans.

You really would need receipts for the work, showing what was done, and more importantly, who did it. If its not done right, by a knowledgible shop, it would be a big risk for someone to buy. If you have solid receipts from a known shop, and its fresh, its worth more than $2k. If joe-bob did the build/swap in his garage, then probably under $1500.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

S2 transmissions came with the oil cooler as stock equipment on cars for the Swiss market.
(BTW, Swiss cars had specific features such as the plastic casing "wrapped around" the gearbox and an extra small air box before the AFM, both fitted presumably to satisfy the tough Swiss environmental legislation).
Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Since S2 transmissions did not come with oil coolers, this one has been built up using either a turbo trans with an S2 R/P, or possibly adding the LSD and oil cooler from a turbo trans donor to an S2 trans.

You really would need receipts for the work, showing what was done, and more importantly, who did it. If its not done right, by a knowledgible shop, it would be a big risk for someone to buy. If you have solid receipts from a known shop, and its fresh, its worth more than $2k. If joe-bob did the build/swap in his garage, then probably under $1500.

Oddjob,

He states it was ordered from the factory on the Purchase Order so it will be a factory transaxle not a cobbled together job by Joe-Bob. As I recall the turbo gearing is slightly different to the S2 maybe somebody else can confirm this?

One thing to be aware of is that I have had transaxles with oil coolers that have not been LSD so just check it out before selling. To test, lift the rear end of the car off the ground and turn one wheel forwards, if the other wheel turns forward you have a LSD. If it does not you have an open diff and the value is comprehensively less.
Cheers
Tom
Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mortymower
The PO put one on my car and I would like to get a 968 box in there so I might want to sell. How much is it worth?
This is in what year S2? Does your option code show a LSD tranny? I just missed one of these for $1800 from a dismantler in PA.

Why do you want to go to the 6 speed out of curiosity?

IPSC
Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

I just have always liked the 6 speed, I like the smoother shifting as well. I would not spend alot more for it but if I can sell this one for 2K I only have to add a bit more to buy a 968 box so I was considering it. I have not looked at the option code yet but when i get back from florida I will check that out
Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tommo951
Oddjob,

He states it was ordered from the factory on the Purchase Order so it will be a factory transaxle not a cobbled together job by Joe-Bob. As I recall the turbo gearing is slightly different to the S2 maybe somebody else can confirm this?

One thing to be aware of is that I have had transaxles with oil coolers that have not been LSD so just check it out before selling. To test, lift the rear end of the car off the ground and turn one wheel forwards, if the other wheel turns forward you have a LSD. If it does not you have an open diff and the value is comprehensively less.
Cheers
Tom

PO = Previous Owner, not Purchase Order. I dont think his car (Im assuming its a 951) was ordered from the factory with an S2 gearbox. And I doubt the gearbox was imported from Switzerland...

Turbos have 3.375 Ring/Pinion. S2s have 3.875 R/P. 1-4th gear sets are the same, but the S2 has a taller 5th (0.778 vs 0.829).
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How about an open diff s2 tranny with about 70,000 miles on the clock?

Quick Reply: How much is a S2 Trans with oil cooler and LSD worth?