Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can anyone identify this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this sound?

I know this is a longshot, but can someone identify this weird sound that I heard today coming from the timing belts area of the engine bay? (Or someplace else near the frontside of the engine) This was the first time I started the car in over a year and I can't remember the sound being there last summer..

The car is on idle and this weird noise comes in periods. The sound resembles the sound coming from a wobbling wheel or something like that. It's heard in the soundclip I've attached to this message somewhere around 4 and 11 seconds into the clip..

I just wanted to see if anyone here recognizes it and can point me in any direction before I do some more examining tomorrow..

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Spelar in 4.zip (142.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fairly easy to remove the belt covers, if the sound is coming from behind them you will want to know what it is before loosing a belt.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a long screwdriver and put your ear against the handle as you point the tip at different points on the belt covers. This will give you a better idea of where the noise is coming from and, checking the position against a diagram, what roller or tensioner may be making the noise.

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this sound?