Pics of my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 10:18 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
With the glass rr bumper you have no protection from a rear impact. Even with a light collision you can expect major damage to both quarter panels. Just so you know the risk, kind of like all the hours I put into body and paint on my car only for someone to trash it the first time I drove it home. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but the stock bumper offers a great deal more protection to the car than fiberglass. May be the difference between a total loss and a minor to moderate repair.
I guess my thinking is that as a result of the low height of these cars vs. the relative height of other cars, a serious rear end collision is going to total the car with either bumper. My thought is that most impacts will be above the bumper. Any type of Camry or SUV/truck/large car should impact above the bumper.
I'm a bit more concerned about personal safety I guess. I have a euro bumper, but haven't installed it. I'm still kicking this around a bit. Thanks for the info.
What do you think about my theory on where another vehicle will impact?
Thanks for your imput, especially as a pro body guy.
E
Old 05-28-2007 | 01:55 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car that hit me was a saturn SL 2. The impact was pretty much directly to the bumper which bent downward and then her bumper went under, damaging my exhaust and rear diffuser. I thought about the euro bumper but instead went with shaving the pads on the stock bumper. I'm glad I did. While the car will probably still be a total loss its an easier repair than if it didn't have the extra protection. Granted, the one part of my car that people have said they didn't like is the way the rear bumper sticks out. If I do repair and keep the car I think I'll go with a 968 bumper...with the factory reinforcement underneath.
Old 05-28-2007 | 07:23 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
The car that hit me was a saturn SL 2.

hmmm, that was my first car, ever. now THAT was a pimpmobile. Ladies couldn't keep their hands off me when they saw me pull up in my '96 SL2. woah baby.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:38 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear, thats a nice color/wheel combo.
Old 05-29-2007 | 12:13 AM
GOSANE
Banned

Sux pal. You do awesome work!

Can you fix the quarters? Or will you get straight ones?

Lynn
Old 05-29-2007 | 10:27 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GOSANE
Sux pal. You do awesome work!

Can you fix the quarters? Or will you get straight ones?

Lynn
I can straighten the qtr but right now I'm not sure which way I'll go. I usually try to avoid cutting a car if possible. Even though I go to great lengths to restore corrosion protection, replacing welded on panels is intrusive. Who knows, I may wind up with a widebody. All speculation until the adjuster comes out and writes an estimate. He definitely won't like mine.

Quick Reply: Pics of my car