Idles but wont rev, Help Please/

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idles but wont rev, Help Please/

I pulled my thottle body & right IC pipe to replace a broken Throttle return spring.

After taking 5 days to fix the thottle my battery had died, so i jumped it & drove to work, no issues, hit boost w/o any issues/

After work, battery was dead again,(really dead) so i jumped the car & it idled fine.

But the second i give it gas it dies. Even after charging the batt back up to the point it could start the engine.

What happened between drving to work & being dead after?

I checked the vacuum lines & throttle action.

I'm just wondering where to start. I've suspected the alternater is failing, maybe.

Thanks,
Jake.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Loquat15
Racer

check the current from your battery to make sure you have the proper voltage output... can be anywhere from 11-14, maybe less.. you start up just fine, right? I've ran out of juice on the roads before... the car will run weak but will idle just fine...

check your j-boot and everything connected to your air intake (pain in the ***, i know), but you might be getting some air past your AFM which would most likely cause it to do what it's doing.

How is she starting up anyways? Just fine?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I would check the electrical connetions to the TPS and the AFM.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Start up just fine, and idles at about 600rpm (normally 900)

New findings:

When the car is idling & i disconnect the (-) battery lead the engine dies instantly.

I'm going to go jump it again & see how long the engine runs after i remove the jumper cables. Assuming that the alt. is dead and the engine is just pulling current off of the battey.

this may be more complicated though. when it is being jumped by my truck, i can turn on every electrical item and nothing dims, but the engine still dies when the pedal is depressed, at all.

My alternator has been really sinking low when elcectrical items in the car come on.
It normally runs at 12.5, but then is the fans kick on it drops to 10.5 before it kicks back up.

Quick Reply: Idles but wont rev, Help Please/