Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pressure drop when turning? (Reporting Back with Solution)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

N/A dipstick, or late turbo dipstick?
N/A should be way shorter than the turbo one.
If you have the super long late turbo dipstick to spare, would you be willing to part with it? I broke the top off mine, and have a N/A dipstick in there to keep dirt from getting in for now.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the turbo dip stick tube have a plastic spacer on it where it goes into the block?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

To answer some questions. The dipstick has been in there the whole time i have had the car, but the engine was pulled and resealed/new bearings etc about 5k miles ago. I changed the oil inbetween there and put in the correct amount of oil. Im not worried about there being any damage to the engine.

Zero10 - How do I know which one it is? Its got a round loop on the top, and does not seem to fit quite right in my car. I could take a picture of it if that will help you. But yes, once I recieve my new (correct) dipstick ill part with this one.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff, please do post that picture.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

OK, I hate to disappoint you – either the mechanic is way out to lunch or you still have a problem.
You are right about the dipstick – there are at least two different types of turbo dip sticks (different lengths) and the NA is a lot different.
But here is the catch – for the oil level to be low enough that you can see a drop in oil pressure while cornering on the street you would have three quarts or less in the pan. Did your mechanic really only pour three quarts in to the engine after the pan job???? If so there is a serious problem there. Everybody I know dumps in 5 quarts and then checks the level. If they poured in three and thought it was OK….well, you need a different shop.
If we figure that the guy doing the work was a little ham fisted then it is quite possible that the pickup was bent trying to force the pan back on. Either that or a crack has developed due to forcing the pick up with the pan.

Chris White
Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
tyro
Pro

I'll agree with Chris. 6 quarts or thereabouts is the number.

Observe the pickup through the oil drain hole; it sits at the very bottom of the pan - you would have to be really low on oil to starve the thing.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
I will ask these questions to the shop that did the work. Any more advice would be great.
John - how could a the oil pump bolt not being torqued all the way create a problem just while turning or under accelleration? Thanks

Jeff

I am going way out on a limb to guess that the shop also charged you for an oil level sender.
This is another thing that will break if you don't know what the hell you are doing around the oil pan.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Turbo dipsticks are flat and flexible, N/A dipsticks are round (the shaft itself) and inflexible.

There are 2 lengths of turbo dipsticks, I could measure mine and we can see if yours matches?....
I broke the head off mine by accident
Wow, that sounds some kind of dirty!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, I hate to disappoint you – either the mechanic is way out to lunch or you still have a problem.
You are right about the dipstick – there are at least two different types of turbo dip sticks (different lengths) and the NA is a lot different.
But here is the catch – for the oil level to be low enough that you can see a drop in oil pressure while cornering on the street you would have three quarts or less in the pan. Did your mechanic really only pour three quarts in to the engine after the pan job???? If so there is a serious problem there. Everybody I know dumps in 5 quarts and then checks the level. If they poured in three and thought it was OK….well, you need a different shop.
If we figure that the guy doing the work was a little ham fisted then it is quite possible that the pickup was bent trying to force the pan back on. Either that or a crack has developed due to forcing the pick up with the pan.

Chris White

The car burns ALOT of oil. The car was fine for a while after they did the work. The work was done when the car had ~106k miles on it. I changed the oil at around 110k, with some top offs inbetween obviously. I also have topped the oil off after that quite a few times. My guess is the oil was just alot lower then I thought due to the dipstick/burning. It was not the fault of the mechanic putting to little oil in the car.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:12 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

The shaft on my dipstick is indeed round and inflexible. It never fit quite right and I had always wondered why, now I know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zero10
Turbo dipsticks are flat and flexible, N/A dipsticks are round (the shaft itself) and inflexible.

There are 2 lengths of turbo dipsticks, I could measure mine and we can see if yours matches?....
I broke the head off mine by accident
Wow, that sounds some kind of dirty!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
The shaft on my dipstick is indeed round and inflexible. It never fit quite right and I had always wondered why, now I know. Thanks!
um, i'm not convinced of this. both my current 89 and my old 88 have/had 'round' dipsticks. i mean, it's not a rod, but i wouldn't really describe it as 'flexible' either.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 AM
sweanders
Race Director

If I put oil in a car, like Chris said ~5 quarts and then checked the level and it indicated way over the top line on the dipstick I'd at least consider that something was wrong.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Originally Posted by facboy
um, i'm not convinced of this. both my current 89 and my old 88 have/had 'round' dipsticks. i mean, it's not a rod, but i wouldn't really describe it as 'flexible' either.
I was doing some more reading, and I retract my previous statement....
The late turbo dipsticks are apparently round like the N/A ones, but much more flexible, and longer than the early turbo dipsticks.
Using an N/A dipstick will feel like you are going to gouge a hole through the side of the dipstick tube it is so inflexible, and it doesn't even reach the oil. You would be 5-6L over-ful using a N/A dipstick.

There are both round and flat turbo dipsticks, flat is the shorter one.

For the OP, where did you order the correct dipstick from and what was the price? Nobody seems to list them, and I need the same one you just bought.

For some reason a TSB regarding dipstick length and incorrect fill levels is coming to mind, but I can't find it anywhere.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drop when turning? (Reporting Back with Solution)