Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Dr.'s: Need help with autopsy of blown motor (w/ PICs)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being that the pin is ripped fromthe bottom indicates that it wasn't hydrolocked otherwise the pin would have pushed upward. the white can be lean but looks more like coolant haze. when a cylinder lets go like that the water that comes through the cylinder wall will gety sucked back in to the intake. I even had water in my intercooler when I split the 2 cylinders. The burned valve is a sign of a vac leak typically. It starts like a blast furnace and burns the material away usually happens very quickly. I would be checking the hotside of the turbo for damage from the burned valve. usually you will pocking of the piston crown from detonation depending on how long it lasted. Either way bad deal, I would def send out the injectors or buy new ones.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Was he able to drive home?
Seriously that's a bad look in there and unusual if it's running stock boost with no ebc or aftermarket wastegate to fail and spike to hell. What sort of oil was he running just out of curiosity?
What's his plan from here? Good luck to him from down under anyway.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Jess,

I believe he was running pump premium, I dont think he was using the high octane at the track.

We have not tested/inspected the fuel system components. As soon as we saw the burned valve (likely a lean condition), all fuel delivery parts are suspect. The injectors will be sent out for cleaning/flow testing. And we will either test or replace the fuel pump, FPR, fuel lines, fuel filter, damper, etc. We did notice that when we disconnected the fuel lines, there was zero pressure in the fuel rail (after the car has been sitting for two days, it wont spray gas out when you crack a line, but usually there is a little bit of "push" - this one just dripped).
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Was he able to drive home?
Seriously that's a bad look in there and unusual if it's running stock boost with no ebc or aftermarket wastegate to fail and spike to hell. What sort of oil was he running just out of curiosity?
What's his plan from here? Good luck to him from down under anyway.
Yep, he drove home (it was just in a different car...).

I think I mentioned this in the other thread, but the ignition did have to be turned off - the car was still running on 2 cylinders...

Pretty sure it was Mobil 1 15-50.

Shopping around for a short block right now.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badcoupe
being that the pin is ripped fromthe bottom indicates that it wasn't hydrolocked otherwise the pin would have pushed upward. the white can be lean but looks more like coolant haze. when a cylinder lets go like that the water that comes through the cylinder wall will gety sucked back in to the intake. I even had water in my intercooler when I split the 2 cylinders. The burned valve is a sign of a vac leak typically. It starts like a blast furnace and burns the material away usually happens very quickly. I would be checking the hotside of the turbo for damage from the burned valve. usually you will pocking of the piston crown from detonation depending on how long it lasted. Either way bad deal, I would def send out the injectors or buy new ones.
I still have to do some deeper inspection of the block. There was a few drips of coolant that were in the giant oil puddle under the car. It was not mixed in the oil. I didnt see an obvious crack in the cooling jacket, so Im not sure where the coolant came from, but I want to figure that out.

I have thought of a vacuum leak allowing just enough excess air into the intake to run the car lean, but not enough for it to stumble or die. I have blown the connection hose off one of the intercooler pipes on the track before, and the car just instantly died - so it would have to be a much smaller leak than that. I did not see any split hoses or loose hose clamps when we pulled the motor, but it was a quick teardown. We will definitely inspect all lines and connections when it goes back together.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
KM727TS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Dr.'s needed

Oddjob,
I hear the guy who was driving this car was on pace to set the lap record before the engine went bye bye?
Joking of course. I am the dope that blew the motor....
Seriousley, if anyone has a good short block on the block PM me!

Quick Reply: Engine Dr.'s: Need help with autopsy of blown motor (w/ PICs)