Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem.

I have been trying to track down a minor starting problem over the past year or so. A little history... At the beginning of last winter I noticed that one of my exhaust studs had broke off. The leak was enough to effect driving even after heating up, so pulled the head and extracted/replaced the stud. While the head was off I changed the head gasket as well as all other gaskets that are associated with the job.

The starting problem I have was happening BEFORE the exhaust stud broke. If there were any intake/vacuum leaks that were causing that problem, hopefully they would get fixed while I replaced the head and intake. While I had all the hoses off I inspected them all and all the connectors for cracks and found none. I checked the TPS and it does 'click' as soon as I move the throttle body. I checked my MAF and all connections to it and found nothing wrong.

This is my starting issue....
While trying to start the car, it turns over fine and will catch like its starting then immediatly die. This happens EVERYtime I try to start. If the car is cold, hot, TPS connected or disconnected makes no difference at all. The only way I can get it to start is by pushing the throttle down about 1/4 inch while cranking. It will start and idle perfectly smooth.

Please help
Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

does it happen when the car sits for a little like a hour or so but starts back up fine if its off for a short while? If so check the fuel pressure in the rail after it stops you may not be holding pressure in the rail and vapor locking it.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Teddy952
Racer

It happens EVERY time. If I run it for 1-2-3 hrs or dead cold it still happens.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

hmm not sure then since mine used to do that when I had a pressure leak in the fuel line and if I started it again after a few min it would start fine since there was still some pressure in the rail but if it sat my pressure gauge would should no pressure

Quick Reply: Starting problem.