Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No headlights - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default No headlights - any suggestions?

To start off with I will state that I have the full boat Iceshark light kit and Euro driving lights. When I parked my 951 before winter I had a misfire. Using a pyrometer I figured out that it was cylinder number one that wasn't firing. After a good look over it turns out that the plug wires were **** (only 1 year old - aftermarket performance set) So I bought new plugs and new Porsche wires. To install the coil wire I had to remove the headlight motor. However I didn't properly index the headlights when I reinstalled the motor and ended with a sleepy eye look when the lights were off (they were only going 1/2 way down). Tonight I fixed it and thought I would go for a little drive. I turned on the lights and noticed that they didn't seem as bright as normal. So I switched to high beams and everything went completely dark. So I switched back to dims and walked to the front of the car and took a look. Well, it turns out only the euro lights - only the dimmer fog lights not the full driving lights - were coming on and off. The pattern was on when I was dimmed and off when I was on bright.

So considering that my lights to the best of my knowledge worked fine when I parked the car what could be the problem now? A fuse or a relay maybe?

One other weird thing I noticed was that when I manually raised my lights by turning the dial on the headlight motor it would get to a point where the motor would kick in and put the lights back in the full down position. This would happen even if the car ignition was not on. That one still puzzles me.

So any ideas?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody care to guess?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As per your asking for suggestions in the thread title, I suggest you not drive at night.

*bump*
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn the headlights on and back off with the linkage off, Then connect the linkage with the lights down and the switch off. This to the best of my knowlege should work. Also why did you remove the headlight motor to replace a coil wire?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory9584
Also why did you remove the headlight motor to replace a coil wire?
It makes it a lot easier to get to the bolts on the coil, as well as the other stuff in that area.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:46 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no electrical advice but...

One other weird thing I noticed was that when I manually raised my lights by turning the dial on the headlight motor it would get to a point where the motor would kick in and put the lights back in the full down position. This would happen even if the car ignition was not on.
The headlights have a safety feature such that whenever they encounter an obstruction they immediately go back down. Because you mention that you 'dialed' them up a bit, I'm betting that they're now hitting the bump-stop (black rubber plug) and going back down because they haven't reached the end of their travel.

It seems to me that this problem is unrelated to your original issue, except for the fact that you inadvertantly caused this on while attempting to fix the original issue.

Quick Reply: No headlights - any suggestions?