Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

windshield differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield differences

Glass company tells me a non-antenna windshield with no airbag is $170. With antenna and airbag is $470. My car came with both, but the radio is irrelevant to me as a track car and rarely if ever used on the street, airbags are being removed so I said just give me the $170. They tell me the dimensions on the non-airbag, no antenna unit are different than the one that came with my car and it won't fit. Surely they have lost their minds. Any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

By the way, what an airbag has to do with a windshield is beyond my understanding.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, your glass company is one of the smarter ones I have heard of. Do a search on the regular '44 forum for windshields. I have a long thread and there are others as well. Most glass Cos. and some forum members will tell you that early glass fits all 944's. This is NOT true.

They are definitely different sizes. The early glass is narrower. The early cars have aluminum trim around the windshield while the later cars only have a rubber strip. I have had an early window in my late frame.... you do NOT want this, especially if it is a track car. Very unsafe.

Use the late glass. I searched long and hard to find the right glass... it is definitely more money for the late but the fit is way better.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Non turbo glass fits in my car fine. I'm comfortable with it. It is a slightly smaller dimension. Still sits in there just fine. Personal comfort. You decide, but it WILL work.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I beleive the 968 ones have no antenna
Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Tms951
Pro

I went through this, I bought the chap one it did not fit right, i think it did not come with a frame and did not sit deep enough. Then I got the one for radio and A/C, it fit great and came with the frame. The A/C makes a big difference A/C glass is tinted.

Basicly the first one matched make/model/year and did not fit, the second one matched the VIN/options and fit.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

The air bag windshield uses a different sealant that acts more like an adhesive or attachment or stronger glass (I don't remember which) to help prevent the air bag from blowing the windshield out. You should be able to use a late model 944 windshield but not the early with no air bags.

Lou
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, my post above comes from my experience with my 87 NA, and comparisons between the OEM 87 NA glass (late antenna), the different windshields brought to replace it, and the glass in my 83 NA parts car (early non-antenna). None of those cars had airbags.

My 86 turbo has the same windshield as my 87 NA, antenna late glass. The turbo also does not have airbags. Unfortunately the turbo also has a cracked windshield

Quick Reply: windshield differences