Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help - tuning issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - tuning issue

I started my car (1989 'S') last week for the first time in a few months after doing various upgrades and maintenance.

It has symptoms of running very lean and is undriveable... so i hooked up wideband (UEGO 2000) and Mafterburner to add some fuel.

It was typically running at 18:1 +. I added quite a bit of fuel and it helped but once the car gets to 2,500 rpm (about 1.30V on MAF) I can add up to 100% fuel and it stays lean.

I thought I'd check the valve timing (we put in a new belt and adjustable cam gear) and it is correct. When checking, I noticed droplets on the piston. We hooked up an exhaust gas analyser and Hydrocarbons are extremely high... around 1500.

So we have both excess O2 and excess fuel ... so I'm thinking perhaps ignition timing is retarded. I get cylinder 1 to TDC and paint a mark on the crank pulley and cover and revert to a timing light.

At idle, it's showing 0 degrees advance which progresses to around 20 by 2500 rpm - so i think my suspicions are confirmed.

Does anyone know what these figures should be?

Does anyone have a stock 951 'S' map they could email me for use in my emulator?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help but that is an interesting approach. I have often wondered if my timing was right and your method of marking TDC and then using light to estimate advance should work, but didn't have a way to verify it. I'm not sure though why you feel 20 d BTDC would be retarded. That "seems like" quite a bit of advance - at least relevant to my old V-8 days... I'l have to try that one...Bruce

Quick Reply: Help - tuning issue