Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Get your piece of the Norwood Doom car

Is this legit?

http://www.area951.com/html/inventory_0.html

Looks pretty hacked up to me. Not nearly what I would expect a reported $500,000 car to have on it.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, its legit. Scott Gomes got one of the engines from Bob a few years back. It was a 900hp 968 engine, if I recall correctly.

Regards,
Old 05-05-2007, 04:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Is it Magnesium or does it just look like it?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I forgot that Scott had bought one of the engines. If I remember right he sold it to someone here. Anyone know where it's at?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would still like to find out what happened to the first one...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have an updated link?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The first one got stolen, iirc, and was never recovered. To the best of my knowledge, its never shown up.

Regards,
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Is it Magnesium or does it just look like it?
It's a somewhat thin walled aluminum and very light.
The welds on the runner tops are to provide enough threads, by increasing material cross section, for whatever Norwood had screwed in there.

Because I know someone will ask:
I only know this because I've held it in my hands. Aside from that I know nothing about it (other that it is from one of the Doom engines) or where the rest of the engine went.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks 46&2. Nice bit of history you held in your hands.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each time this topic comes up, and the story re-told, it gets a little distorted, so I figured I would chime in and get it back in check...

For starters, yes, this is the intake from one of the legendary/mythical DOOM projects. It is legit, the real deal, actual and factual. I did not, however, buy the engine from Bob Norwood. A friend of mine bought it from him, and I bought some spare parts from Bob that my friend decided to pass on. Since this engine was rear mounted, and in a tube chassis, the throttle body flange is located in the aft direction, and since my friend was going to put the engine in his 951, well, he decided to pass on the intake, so I picked it up as a novelty, and it is being sold as such.

In regard to the engine itself...

At the time there were two of these engines built. One served as the test bed, then the second engine was built. The second engine became the engine that initially went into the car, and this engine functioned as a spare and as I understand it, was on deck to be swapped in and out of the car as the other engine was refreshed, and so on.

In its delivered form the engine was considered a core/parts engine. It was a complete long block (minus the intake, headers, and other ancillary items) and was in relatively rough shape, let's call it extensively used. It was sleeved and had two cracked cylinders (host material, not the sleeves themselves) two burned/bent valves, scuffed pistons, and so on...

The engine was torn down, all parts were examined, junk parts became scrap metal, good parts were retained, and the engine and its story will remain a part of Porsche history.

As for the rest of the parts, well, another friend aquired the few good parts (crank, & head casting) and I am currently in the process of building him a completely new and relatively different engine from the parts we were able to salvage.

The original DOOM engine that was delivered to my shop (on my friend's behalf) never ran after it was removed from the crate it was shipped in. We uncrated it, tore it down, and tossed many of the parts in the trash - Literally.

Beside the parts that were salvageable, and the spare parts I bought, the only remaining parts are a few odd and ends that are more valuable as novelty items, than they are worth as usable parts. If anyone is interested in owning a "piece" of this engine, please let me know.

One thing that would make an interesting conversation piece would be the block itself. While it has two cracked cylinders, it would make a PERFECT candidate for a wet sleeve project. It was dry sumped, so the oil return holes are already welded/filled, and the oil filler holes have been welded shut as well, so that work is already done. If anyone is considering a wet sleeve engine and wants to be the ONLY person that can say they have one of only two 968 based DOOM engine blocks, then this may be a good opportunity - Bare block, girdle, and deck plate - $700.00 plus shipping takes it away.

Also, I have a set of used/unused pistons for this engine, several pistons were run in the engine and rotated as spares, and several pistons are new/never installed. The pistons are JE's. $500.00 takes all seven pistons.

There is a straight header from the engine as well. Remember, this was a tube chassis, so this cannot be used in your car, but again, it is a piece of the DOOM engine. $375.00 takes it. Make a table from it, a lamp, a Blue Man Group instrument, the uses are limitless! - LOL

Looking for an inexpensine piece of the engine? - How about a spare, or removed sleeve? $50.00 each - Use it in your garage as a pencil/pen holder, make a clock, paperweight?

Spare titanium connecting rod - $300.00 - Very nice piece! Would make a very cool clock - Seriously.

Dry sump pump, dry sump crank pulley & crank trigger wheel (pump in very good working condition) - $490.00

All above parts with the exception of the few new pistons, and the spare connecting rod, were removed from the DOOM engine.

Hopefully the prelude text clears some of the questions some may have had regarding this engine, its history, its current status, whereabouts, and what not.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Sorry Scott for the ignorance but you said that the motor was rear mounted. Can you explain that a little more? What sort of numbers did these cars make? Isn't the black one still around and even being worked on as we speak?
Thanks
Patrick
Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there were actually a total of three Doom cars built. The original 3.6L supercharged Doom car stolen in 1995 (which was stolen), and two Doom chassis which were 968 based, built in 1997. From what I understand, only one was actually fully completed, and the other chassis was a spare.

The engine was mid-mounted (sorry for confusing things by saying rear mounted) and the intake actually faced toward the rear of the car.

From what I understand, both completed Doom cars (The 3.6L version, and the 968 based version) were red. Perhaps someone has since purchased one of these two chassis and is working on it? - That I do not know? But I do know that this engine is one of only two built for the 968 based Doom project.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Ok I got my facts mixed up. Disregard the comment about the black one. However I am interested about the cubic capacity of these engines. How did they get such large cc's out of what I presume was a 3.0L block to start with. I thought 3.4 would be REALLY pushing the friendship? There is only one 3.2L that I know of at the moment from the U.K. Am I missing something here? Sorry if this is boring for those that know all about this stuff, but I guess they're not reading this thread?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any pics of the 968 based car?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Ok I got my facts mixed up. Disregard the comment about the black one. However I am interested about the cubic capacity of these engines. How did they get such large cc's out of what I presume was a 3.0L block to start with. I thought 3.4 would be REALLY pushing the friendship? There is only one 3.2L that I know of at the moment from the U.K. Am I missing something here? Sorry if this is boring for those that know all about this stuff, but I guess they're not reading this thread?

The 3.6 was a 911 based engine.

Quick Reply: Get your piece of the Norwood Doom car