Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Get your piece of the Norwood Doom car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Andy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see what the header looks like, do you have pictures Scott?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
IMB951
Drifting

I'm also very interested in seeing pictures of any of the DOOM cars. They sound insane, I just can't believe this is the first time I've heard of them on Rennlist.

nine hundred horsepower 968 engine?!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also love to see pictures of the DOOM 968.

This 951 was built by Bob Norwood according to Excellence. I dont have any more pictures, but do have the magazine issue at home somewhere.

This is a 2.6L 600hp car that used a sleeved down 3.0L block to meet PCA class displacement rules.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TarHeel 944S
I'm also very interested in seeing pictures of any of the DOOM cars.
I've only been able to find one picture. Google images "doom norwood", it will be the first picture.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

I will tell you all how to make a small fortune. Start with a large one and let Norwood build you an engine. The car that Techno Duck has a picture of is Bob Howards. Here is a little history. Norwood built the engine only for this car. Mega $$$$ were spent and it never ran worth a crap. It had test runs at Motrsports ranch, Hallett, and the dyno and NEVER ran correctly. The 3rd pull on the dyno it spun a rod bearing (oil passages where to small for the amount of power). After a year of trying Norwood could not produce a working engine which is strange for someone who was said to have built the Doom car this should have been a cake walk. The engine was sent to John Milladge to have it done right. There were countless mistakes with the build from Norwood, again from someone who was suppose to know how to build something. My guess is that he was not the brains behind the Doom project although people I have talked with that saw it run said they replaced head gaskets almost every time out. I am not running these cars down I love these cars just look at my avator. Just stating fact about said car. I am sure I have given more info than needed. Back to the sale.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Just a short update...

The block, dry sump pump, crank trigger and pulley are sold. Congratulations to the new owner. Don't bother asking who bought the parts, I have promised confidentiality.

In regard to the pistons; I have had several PM's and emails asking specifics about the pistons, so I figured it would be easier to answer some of those questions here. First, I am not going to take pictures of the pistons with a ruler or micrometer along side the pistons as a couple of people have asked - Just not gonna happen.

The pistons will not work in a factory bore. The block either needs to be sleeved, or overbored and coated. As of this posting, I have a total of five people that want the pistons, but I am awaiting word from the purchaser of the block and dry sump parts before I can offer the pistons to anyone else - I should have word in the next day or so. Since I have several buyers lined up, it seems pointless to get into the specifics, so I will leave it to the next owner to decide if he/she will disclose any info.

You may ask; "why all the secrets?" - Well, to be honest, I have always felt the story has a more mythical feel if most of what was done remains undisclosed, and the new owner of the parts would like to keep it that way as well. That said, it seems quite fitting for this particular individual to be the next owner.

So, that leaves a handful of parts still available (Connecting rod, header, a few sleeves)

Oh, by the way, (for those that have asked) I currently do not have any pictures of the header.

Thanks to all that have taken interest in this engine, the Doom vehicles overall, and the parts I have available. The story shall live on historically and into the future with promising new chapters already being written.

Thanks for reading...

Doom II at Texas Motor Speedway 1997 - Enjoy!

Last edited by Under Pressure Performance; 05-11-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Under Pressure Performance
Well, there were actually a total of three Doom cars built. The original 3.6L supercharged Doom car stolen in 1995 (which was stolen), and two Doom chassis which were 968 based, built in 1997. From what I understand, only one was actually fully completed, and the other chassis was a spare.

The engine was mid-mounted (sorry for confusing things by saying rear mounted) and the intake actually faced toward the rear of the car.

From what I understand, both completed Doom cars (The 3.6L version, and the 968 based version) were red. Perhaps someone has since purchased one of these two chassis and is working on it? - That I do not know? But I do know that this engine is one of only two built for the 968 based Doom project.

Hope this helps.
Both of the 968 motored cars were completed. The first being DOOM II and the other being Thunder owned by Sparky Moore. Thunder was a dead project after the PCA band DOOM II. We deicided that we might be able to enter the cars in hill climbs. So Thunder was completed and entered in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this outing did not go well due to engine failure i.e. the two cracked cylinders mentioned. After this Sparky chose to shelf the car and go on to other ventures.

Last edited by Apexx; 05-21-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Thanks for filling in some of the gaps Apexx. The impression I had during the last conversation I had with Bob was that the other chassis was a spare, but perhaps I misinterpreted what he said. Or was the second chassis going to be a spare, then once banned, finished and used for the hillclimbs? If so, I guess what Bob told me was accurate, but not complete - Is that fair to say?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Under Pressure Performance
Thanks for filling in some of the gaps Apexx. The impression I had during the last conversation I had with Bob was that the other chassis was a spare, but perhaps I misinterpreted what he said. Or was the second chassis going to be a spare, then once banned, finished and used for the hillclimbs? If so, I guess what Bob told me was accurate, but not complete - Is that fair to say?
Yeah that's about right we were about half way in the build of Thunder when DOOM II was band.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

since I bought all those games "back then" I feel like I did something good and supported these cars
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I would also love to see pictures of the DOOM 968.

This 951 was built by Bob Norwood according to Excellence. I dont have any more pictures, but do have the magazine issue at home somewhere.

This is a 2.6L 600hp car that used a sleeved down 3.0L block to meet PCA class displacement rules.

600hp and a standard size exhaust, would somebody like to explain? I know the theory backpressure and all but surely if this is the case this one musty have insane backpressure??? But still 600hp
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob Howards car now sports a JME engine, the Norwood build didn't quite work out like it was supposed to. It was supposed to be at Hallett last month but something got cut in the wiring harness by accident so it didn't make it. It should have a new harness in it by now and testing.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

600hp and a standard size exhaust, would somebody like to explain? I know the theory backpressure and all but surely if this is the case this one musty have insane backpressure??? But still 600hp
Could be a screamer from the WG with a side exit exhaust. Just a guess, I don't know anything specific about this car, but it seems like a possibility.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tommo951

Oh my god! Please tell me that's not true. If so, I think I will have lost all hope for 944 owners! That car is dead sexy though.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the pleasure of seeing a recent dyno run on a dynojet of 1100 plus rwhp on one of the doom cars...I think he said it was close to some lap record at a local track....too many years ago.

Impressed me!

Quick Reply: Get your piece of the Norwood Doom car