Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not doing the work. Garrity at Motorsport is. Here is what he has to say about the studs he used for these motors:

What we offer that the others can’t is the fact that most of the parts we sell are made just for us. For example, our head studs are the finest in the business and are made differently than the factory units, in that we drill and tap the block deeper and sink the stud into more material. This provides for much higher clamping forces. Our connecting rods are also much stronger and lighter than everyone else’s which provides for a fantastic product that lasts and lasts. We also build 3.2 liter liters and engines with many more options.

Quote from Garrity with permission.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Is that our old Garrity Repta from St. Louis?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:46 PM
George D
Drifting

We also installed 996 piston oil squirters and some other little things for reliability and additional lubrication and cooling. The pistons are made for the alum block and do not require any coating to be compatible with the cylinder. The metal is softer than other pistons available, or so I am told. Garrity tells me that this allows for less expansion when the piston gets hot. Ross Racing Pistons uses forged 2618 T-61 aluminum.

We sent the block to US Chrome for Nicom or Nikasil coating on the cylinder walls.

The US Chrome process is trademarked as "NiCom®", (because Porsche holds the trademark on the term "Nikasil®") , but the process was brought over from the Mahle plant in Stuttgart and is identical to the quality and finish that Mahle performs for Porsche on its OEM engines. There are a few other platers in the US that have an aluminum block plating process, but they do not deposit the density of 2 micron-sized carbide particles as NiCom® does, and the end result is inferior.

NiCom® is an electroplated nickel matrix with silicon carbide particles uniformly dispersed throughout. The carbide is extremely hard, but not abrasive because of its minute particle size, which averages two microns. The inclusion of these dense ceramic particles raises the hardness of the composite and provides unique properties, particularly when plated on aluminum. NiCom® has been found to be so effective that leading manufacturers (General Motors, Mercury, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, and others - see pictures below) are now using it on new cylinders as well as repairs.

Adding NiCom plating to your Nikasil block provides:
SUPERIOR WEAR RESISTANCE - usually two to ten times that of chromium
EXCELLENT FRICTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS - less tendency to gall or seize
EXCEPTIONAL OIL RETENTION - due to the olephyllic nature of silicon carbide
GREATER THICKNESS - up to .015 are possible as compared to the normal range of .003 - .004
HIGH TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE - heat transfer for continuous service
GREATER RESISTANCE to scratching and abrasion that Alusil or Nikasil

Just thought some of you might find this interesting.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
George D
Drifting

Is that our old Garrity Repta from St. Louis?

Yes. I found him in Salt Lake City building wild motors, not just Porsche stuff. There is more money keeping up to date in the automotive world. He still serves the few of us that don't want the newest, off the shelf fast cars.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
We also installed 996 piston oil squirters and some other little things for reliability and additional lubrication and cooling.
Those little additional features will help in the long run George. I discussed these in great detail with Chris White when we started our project, and he sold me on them, easily.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
George D
Drifting

I discussed these in great detail with Chris White when we started our project, and he sold me on them, easily.

OT: Rolex, I have a condo development in Coney......LOL. Thor Equities has purchased 14 acres of boardwalk land in the hope of building a $1.5 billion entertainment destination. We could have bought vacant lots by the waterfront for $25,000 ten years ago there. Shoulda coulda woulda...

Thanks for the help in posting the pics. Issue is that it makes me want my car back. I've been pretending that I don't have it for the past four months.

When is Chris going to be done with your motor. Maybe bump your post and give us some information on what you are doing with the 16v head. I'm curious as to whether Chris is building it for higher rpm's than stock. That motor has Oscar potential.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

So this is the same Garrity from St. Louis. He built the 2.8L that is in my street car that is almost ready for the streets. The last I heard he went back to school to go into the medical field. Glad to hear he is doing what he likes.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
George D
Drifting

OT but funny, to me anyway.

I just got back from helping a friend with some car stuff. We were talking about Garrity and he contemplating going to medical school. My friend is a surgeon. He said, " The biggest difference between my job, and a mechanical engineer working on motors is that I have to it while they are running!"

Cracked me up.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When is Chris going to be done with your motor. Maybe bump your post and give us some information on what you are doing with the 16v head. I'm curious as to whether Chris is building it for higher rpm's than stock. That motor has Oscar potential.
I don't want to go OT in your thread George, but, as of right now I don't know yet what we're doing (if anything) with the head on my car. We have some time, so it isn't a decision we need to make right now.

Anyway, I tried to do a search on Garrity at Motorsport, and couldn't find a web site. Do you know if they have a web site? Maybe they don't, but I was just curious as to who they are.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM
George D
Drifting

Garrity does not have a website. We talked about this, and he stated that he is just too busy to advertise. I tried to coax him, and he stated that he has a hard time with just e-mails from customers and such. He did tell me that he wouldn't be able to handle phone calls from non-customers. I understand this. His business has about 10,000' of space that seems busy whenever I call him.

There aren't alot of mechanical engineers that also run service facilities for crazy car nuts and their individual cars. Sounds like fun till it's your daily grind.

George
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
TurboTim
Banned

More pics of Geroges stuff

Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM
George D
Drifting

Coat me, polish me, make me pretty.

Update on the motor. Garrity is installing a cometic headgasket. The compression calculated out to 8.5 to 1. We decided to order a cometic gasket to lower it to 8-1 and install an adjustable cam gear for additional tuning capability.

Shipping this week to SFR.

George
Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
special tool
Banned

Coat me, polish me, make me pretty.

Update on the motor. Garrity is installing a cometic headgasket. The compression calculated out to 8.5 to 1. We decided to order a cometic gasket to lower it to 8-1 and install an adjustable cam gear for additional tuning capability.

Shipping this week to SFR.

George

This post is good news.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Good to see things are progressing for you George. Hopefully not too far away now.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Just talked to George and we are going to run one of those new GTK-650 turbos on his engine.

Quick Reply: Building a 3.1