Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mean that I personally had unlimited resources. My point was to ask how my friend, Sean, would build his motor if money was not the issue. I was looking for his opinion.

George
Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting me on the spot huh.

There are some really good builders out there in the 951 community. First off I would need to do a lot of research because having never faced these types of decisions I have no personal experience in building a real top notch 951 motor. I really would have a hard time figuring out exactly what to do. I would do a larger motor because you like to drive it a lot on the street, as do I, and the more displacement is ALWAYS better. As far as sleeved vs non sleeved I don't know. I'm not educated on the subject enough to really give an informed decision. I have never had to make that choice. I would talk to Chris White, Scott Gomes and John Mildage to see what they all say and what their capacity is to build you a motor. I know Tim has your car but I do not know his reputation as an engine builder, don't get me wrong, he has some great parts and I think will really do a great job with install and tuning but I don't know how he is as an engine builder.

I would also think about going stand alone for this motor because you are diving in deep already.

If this were my motor build I would start talking to the people I listed above about 3.xxL, 8 vs 16 valve head (since you are going to replace the stock headers and intake), sleeved or not, stand alone or not. There are pros and cons to each question and at the fore front of each issue I would ask "How does this affect durability/reliability?" because you drive that car a lot much like I do and to be stuck a few hundred miles from home with a broken car is not a position you want to be in.

Call me if you have any questions.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default George's Car

Here are a few pics of George's car. This is the same one he is building right now into his monster 3.0L! George can elaborate on the pics since he knows where they were taken.

George: The car should be done in a month?

Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by azmi951
Putting me on the spot huh.

There are some really good builders out there in the 951 community. First off I would need to do a lot of research because having never faced these types of decisions I have no personal experience in building a real top notch 951 motor. I really would have a hard time figuring out exactly what to do. I would do a larger motor because you like to drive it a lot on the street, as do I, and the more displacement is ALWAYS better. As far as sleeved vs non sleeved I don't know. I'm not educated on the subject enough to really give an informed decision. I have never had to make that choice. I would talk to Chris White, Scott Gomes and John Mildage to see what they all say and what their capacity is to build you a motor. I know Tim has your car but I do not know his reputation as an engine builder, don't get me wrong, he has some great parts and I think will really do a great job with install and tuning but I don't know how he is as an engine builder.

I would also think about going stand alone for this motor because you are diving in deep already.

If this were my motor build I would start talking to the people I listed above about 3.xxL, 8 vs 16 valve head (since you are going to replace the stock headers and intake), sleeved or not, stand alone or not. There are pros and cons to each question and at the fore front of each issue I would ask "How does this affect durability/reliability?" because you drive that car a lot much like I do and to be stuck a few hundred miles from home with a broken car is not a position you want to be in.

Call me if you have any questions.

George isnt having us build the engine.However we have built enough engines over the years and think we do a pretty good job these days. We dont just build Porsche engines. We build all sorts of engines ranging from BMWs to Supras. Like I said George chose to have someone else build the engine since we didnt have the core parts available at that time to build a 968T style 3.0L like he wanted. Regardless of that, Georges car will be one of the best 944T's ever built and it will definitely be one of the top 3 horsepower cars on the list!Maybe we can knock Special Tool right off the #1 spot if George is willing to run enough boost
Old 09-07-2007, 03:04 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTim
George isnt having us build the engine.However we have built enough engines over the years and think we do a pretty good job these days. We dont just build Porsche engines. We build all sorts of engines ranging from BMWs to Supras. Like I said George chose to have someone else build the engine since we didnt have the core parts available at that time to build a 968T style 3.0L like he wanted. Regardless of that, Georges car will be one of the best 944T's ever built and it will definitely be one of the top 3 horsepower cars on the list!Maybe we can knock Special Tool right off the #1 spot if George is willing to run enough boost
Watch out ST .
West coast boys are on to you .
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Ski
just make sure Tim installs the rings correctly before you pay the final bill, maybe 2000 miles from break in.

Ha Ha. Funny! So lets see one mistake I made 7-8 years ago after being fu*ked by my qoute/unqoute partner John A. and having to take over his side of the business and finish his projects, while he was going behind my back trying to steal my customers,while I was working as late as 3am to finish jobs......... and this is still being passed around in private emails to this day! What a great community we have here. It is funny you dont hear about the mistakes of other shops on the boards. And yes we all make mistakes and I have a bunch of pictures and emails from all the "best" Porsche shops of their mistakes and horror stories.

Today is not 7-8 years ago.There has not been one motor that I have built that has ever had a catastrophic failure, ever!!!!!!!!!!David Floyds motor diudnt have a catastrophic failure o anyone else for that matter. In fact, I will put up the pink slip to my twin turbo 350Z for ANYONE on the Rennlist who would like to have a build off against me and can beat me all around. Build-off meaning,engine build,fabrication of all parts and tuning.Any takers?????PM me. Otherwise,lets bury this since it has been fuc*in 7-8 years already.

Last edited by TurboTim; 09-07-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
How long will it take SFR to build it? I got this far today, and at my current rate the motor should be complete in 2034...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L63nTDPITiE

Since we are not building it,we are at the mercy of the engine builder.It is Sept 7th today and we still dont have the motor...........But I am sure everyone will blame that on me too
Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Another thing that I find real funny is that peolple will bring up a mistake from 7-8 years ago....... But nobody is like, hey that was real cool of you guys to drive out to the middle of the dessert to pick up George D's car and tow it back to your shop when he was in the middle of an emergency........Rennlist is great!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Another thing that I find real funny is that peolple will bring up something from 7-8 years ago....... But nobody is like, hey that was real cool of you guys to drive out to the middle of the dessert to pick up George D's car and tow it back to your shop when he was in the middle of an emergency........
I still love you, Tim.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Hey Tim,

I bet a 60% off group buy discount on SFR Intake manifolds & Innercoolers would raise people's opinion of you REALLY FAST ! ! !

Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
I still love you, Tim.
We all love Tim, and the fabulous parts he makes!! But let's get the thread back on track. And Tim if you have any pics of George's parts, could you send some to him so we can post them here? I love your work, and would like to see some of the stuff you are doing for George too.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
George D
Drifting

WOW,

I just read this crap. This kind of slander is one of the reasons I have so few posts, but 15 years of 951 and many other sports cars experience as an owner-driver and consumer of others talents.

My car blew up in Yuma, AZ. I called Tim Richards immediately and he had his shop manager come out and pick up my car the very next day. I could have called other shops, but I've known Tim for about 12 years and wanted my car in his hands.

We had a dyno day together and I did enjoy beating him with a car full of luggage, LOL!

The only reason Tim did not do my motor build is because Garrity had EVERYTHING for a 968TS replica motor sitting in inventory. We had some issues with timeframe. We shipped the block to US Chrome for coating. When you have a block coated you must or SHOULD include one of the pistons so they match the bore to the piston. US Chrome did not bubble wrap the piston and it was scratched a little during return shipment. US Chrome had to pay for a custom built piston from Ross Racing. Ross or any other race piston builder does not like to do just one piston, it's much more cost effective to do all four or six or eight or 12 or 16 at once. Machine shops make money when things are done effeciently. There is much less room for error when things have to be the EXACT same size and then done at the same time, on the same piece of equipment with the same operator.

US Chrome stepped up and paid for a rush job on a custom build for ONE piston. This delayed things almost a month. No badmouting as **** happens. They took care of their error, and that's customer service. They did the best they could do in this situation. I promise you that the shipping department learned this expensive lesson and hopefully it won't happen again.

Garrity IS one of the top motor builders and not just on Porsche motors. Garrity did inform me that Tim Richards at SFR is one of the best tuners in the country and better than him. This statement from Garrity wasn't fluff, as he would have been more than happy to completely build my car. If Tim had the parts in stock he would have done the motor. Tim and I talked about this is detail, as I wanted no hard feelings. He was very professional and stated that Garrity is a very good engineer. He agreed that this was the proper route to take and lost money by being honest. This is client service as Tim knows I am loyal, honest, and want him to make money. We are both business owners, and we HAVE to make money.

That said, Tim is using all his latest tuning parts for my motor. I hope this will help his business sell more of the top quality parts that HE fabricates in his shop. My car will have his best efforts to date on my 951.

Tim took over Huntley when Huntley (Derrick) left his customers high and dry. He finished existing projects that I'm sure he was not compensated for as Huntley took the money and left the country. Tim turned Huntley Racing into Speed Force Racing. His cars and customer's cars are written up in all the top modified car mags because many are truly one off cars.

I don't care about having the best dyno car, or any other accollades. I wanted one of the best 951 cars for me to personally enjoy and kick some *** at DE events. I like to be under the radar. I also like to be a surprise when it comes to cars and their ability. One of the funnest things is when a guy in a $500,000 trailered track car gets passed by a street legal 18 year old four banger. I drive it there and drive it home.

Finally, Tim has been nothing but helpful and courteous. His fabrication skills are amazing. Many of his parts are pieces of art, but they also WORK as advertised.

That's all folks. Please don't make statements about others mistakes. No one likes to make mistakes, but we all do it. The difference is that some of us learn from them and go on as a better person with more skills. Remember when you point your finger at someone, there are three pointing back to you.

Regards,

George
Old 09-07-2007, 06:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hmmm , very Interesting , A question to all, Why would one build a 3.1 L 16V turbo over a 2.5 L 16V turbo..........
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Tim took over Huntley when Huntley (Derrick) left his customers high and dry. He finished existing projects that I'm sure he was not compensated for as Huntley took the money and left the country. Tim turned Huntley Racing into Speed Force Racing. His cars and customer's cars are written up in all the top modified car mags because many are truly one off cars.

Goerge,

Just some clarifcation.We didnt take over Huntley,we just moved into their old shop since it was pretty large for a good price Derrek did try to convince me to merge with him right before his demise but I knew better.And yes we did end up finishing 3 Hunltey cars that were just left here without Huntley infomring the customers.Very sad.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

George: Thanks for stepping up to the plate and addressing some things for us. So you think the engine itself should be done in a month or the whole car?

Edit: And are you going to get a set of the SFR Stage 2 Headers too?

Attached Images  

Last edited by RolexNJ; 09-07-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Building a 3.1