Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone using VTX Brake Pads from Vertex?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using VTX Brake Pads from Vertex?

I am going to my first PCA DE, at Roebling Roads, in about a week and was wondering if anyone using VTX Brake Pads from Vertex? They are about 1/2 the price of PFC 97 pads and supposedly OK for street and track. While I understand that no Pad will be good for both. I would really like to avoid changing back and forth between Street and Track Pads every time I go to a DE. The car is not a daily driver, but I will drive it back and forth to DE events. Since It will be my first DE and I will be in the beginner (Green) class I don't think I'll be pushing the brakes too hard.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I called Vertex to place an order and asked about them. I was thinking about ordering them for my street/track use application. I was told that they are Ferro-Carbon formula and they are similiar to the Hawk HPS pads but not as good. Some feedback was given to them by PCA members about the pads and I believe it wasn't positive. I just went ahead and ordered the HP Plus.

I would also be interested in who makes them for Vertex.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply, I guess there's no free lunch. Has anyone actually used these?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

No direct experience w/ these VTX pads, but please, consider brake pads a safety item. I'm not saying go out and buy 97s (that's what I happen use), but get something that is track tested and you know will stand up to abuse.

I my 8 years of DE'ing I've seen enough brake pads horrors (i.e. loss of brakes, glazing, or combustion) to recommend going with something that you know will work. The fact that Vertex themselves indicated the pads aren't as good as HPS (which I've heard are marginal as track pads) wouldn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh, and as a green student, you'll likely overuse the brakes and be harder on them than as you gain experience. If you're only driving the car to/from DEs and the occasional jaunt, PF97s are fine.

Keep the shiny side up.
Jerome
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a set of PFC 97 pads
Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

PFC 01's and 97's on mine and they are fantastic. I agree with Jerome in that brake pads are one area you shouldn't compromise on. If you can be bothered to swap them out between meets that will obviously extend their lifespan, oh and they do throw a bit of dust which you need to clean off pretty soon. I take a bucket and sponge for the track and clean them off a couple times during the day. If you leave them on all the time you will need to clean your wheels a few times a week.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:27 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. It wasn't just the cost difference, I was hoping to find a set of track pads that were really usable on the street also. As I said above, TINSTAAFL. I'll be installing the PFC 97s for the DE and report back on this thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Just as an update, I used the PFC 97 Brake pads at Roebling Roads and was very impressed. good control, stopping power and no fade whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Anyone using VTX Brake Pads from Vertex?