Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   side mirror removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/345991-side-mirror-removal.html)

user323 04-19-2007 01:02 PM

side mirror removal

hello everyone
quick question im removing the driver and passenger side mirrors and was wondering how to get the harness through the mirror assembly or where to disconect it in the door any info would be great pics would help too if any
thanks

MichelleJD 04-19-2007 02:01 PM

I believe you have to cut off the harness. Go to icat's DIY (in his signature).

MichelleJD 04-19-2007 02:05 PM

Here's the site:
http://www.951motorsports.com/

Techno Duck 04-19-2007 02:43 PM

Unfortunetly you do need to cut the harness off. I still wonder why Porsche did not make a connector inside the door to make life easier. I still havent hooked up my power mirrors, probably never will!

PorscheDoc 04-19-2007 02:48 PM

You do not need to cut the harness if you have the correct tool to remove the pins from the plastic connector.

hosrom_951 04-19-2007 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Unfortunetly you do need to cut the harness off. I still wonder why Porsche did not make a connector inside the door to make life easier. I still havent hooked up my power mirrors, probably never will!

So this is true then, i thought the PO started messing around with that.

fortysixandtwo 04-19-2007 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
You do not need to cut the harness if you have the correct tool to remove the pins from the plastic connector.

Yup, I used my pin/socket extractor tool kit last week to pull my mirrors off.

I am also surprised that the mirror connectors were populated as part of the same sub assembly as the mirror installation. They must have used a functional check of the mirrors opperation to verify the wiring.

....well it sort of makes sense, considering there were no optional mirror styles.

Mike951 04-19-2007 06:35 PM

If you already cut them off i have 2 sets of window wiring harnesses.. if not you can pop the pins out of that white cirular connector, then feed them through.

-keith

Doyle623 05-08-2007 01:30 AM

Hello, I was searching about how to remove my mirrors and came accross this thread and want to avoid cutting the wires if at all possible. Where is this white circular connector located?? Is it inside the mirror somewhere or is it inside the door panel??

Mighty Shilling 05-08-2007 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxdeamon
Hello, I was searching about how to remove my mirrors and came accross this thread and want to avoid cutting the wires if at all possible. Where is this white circular connector located?? Is it inside the mirror somewhere or is it inside the door panel??

it's in the mirror.

Doyle623 05-08-2007 02:09 AM

Thanks! Is the pin/socket extractor tool a common tool that I can buy at Sears/Walmart/Autoparts store?? Is there a specific one that I will need for this job?

tcporsche 11-02-2018 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxdeamon (Post 4158076)
Thanks! Is the pin/socket extractor tool a common tool that I can buy at Sears/Walmart/Autoparts store?? Is there a specific one that I will need for this job?

Hi Moto, I am looking for the same mirror electrical connector pin removal tool and also how to use it...I purchased a kit of them from Amazon but none of them seem to work? I think I need a real small diameter hollow tube tool but the ones I got from the kit are either to big or to small! Amy information you can pass on would be appreciated. BTA my name is also Casey,first name Tom Thanks and best regards, tcporsche
l

steven74 11-03-2018 11:08 PM

Dear Tom,
Welcome to Rennlist! Unfortunately, the thread you referenced is over 10 years old so unlikely to have a response from the OP. However, the pins you are referring to do have a specific terminal removal tool. Also, make sure the lock is open on the terminal in order to release the pins. I have been looking at this set to purchase for home use.

Best of luck.

Steven