Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 vs. Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For speed and fun highway passes the 951 is the way to go. However, if it is just a summertime pleasure cuiser and will it will not be pushed hard, then the open cockpit feel of the convertible is far better than the sunroof removed. Repair bill should also be less than the older 951. Ah, Nice weather is around the corner....
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I disagree with that re: the repair bill; at 9x000 miles on the boxster, the car's been getting into the "crap-out" time range -- the Boxster I had referred to as being "sort-of" owned by me had 70k miles and floated a valve. The owners went ahead and swapped in another motor w/ 30k miles and after that initial $10 to fix everything, it's been another $7k to get everything working again. The owners of the car now have it up for sale, given that it's been one problem after another and they're just too fed up.

If you really want a convertible, check out the S2. Look nice and have a n/a motor, thus giving a powerband more conducive to street applications.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both are nice cars, but they are very different.

951 is made in an other era and this means alot of things.
It has more hp and lots of hp are close at hand. However it is an updated 70's design and is not going to be as "sharp or precise" handling as a boxster (even a 99).

The boxster is an open low powered, but great handling car. It is more modern, but has few hp upgrade options that don't cost $$$$. Nice car, but still quite different from the 951.

You need to drive both and determine what kind of driving experinece you want. I love my 951 and have had it for over 10 years. Great balance of performance, comfort and price. I have considered boxster's over the years, but none of them have really made me want to change. They are more money and I really don't like convertables. My interest is peaked in the new Caymans, but those right now at way too expensive and really even 245hp 2.7L Cayman is not THAT much better than my 951. Plus anyone can get a new cayman or newish boxster. Well maintained nice 951's are getting more and more rare by the day.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll give you a point of view from someone who works on both cars for a living (at least one job, lol).

I agree that both are fun cars, and very different as Joe just mentioned. For a car that you just get in and drive, the boxster is hard to beat. You literally put gas and oil in in them, and they just keep going. They are VERY easy to work on, contrary to popular belief. Some of them have had issues with engine failure, but they are few and far between. RMS issue is also overblown. I have had probably 4 boxsters in the shop within the last couple of years that have actually needed the have the RMS replaced because it was leaking so bad. I see a lot of RMS's that seap, but not enough to even leave a drip of oil on the ground. I could sell a lot of RMS repairs if I based it off of seeing any little trace of oil (which is what a dealer will do). 99% of those can be waited out until it is clutch time to swap.

Oil air seperators go out once in a great while, and the plastic oil fill tube tends to crack over time (about a $40 part, and an hour to replace). That can leak a little oil down the passenger rear side of the engine. An occasional coolant tank cracking occurs now and again as well. Again, these issues are very few per the number of cars out on the road.

Power wise, the boxster is definetly lacking, but still is fun to drive. Now that we have introduced our supercharger kit for the boxster, it makes the car very fun to drive, but again, you are putting another $7k on top of the purchase price to do that. Add another 100rwhp to the 2.5's and 75rwhp to the 3.2L S', and the car is a blast.

With that being said, there are some failures on the boxster that can break the bank. One obviously is if the IMS were to fail and the engine needs to be replaced. Expect a 10k+ bill. Again, I have seen 1 in the last 3 years. The other is on the early cars, the convertible tops can have catastrophic failure. The mechanism was updated with stronger parts in about 2000, and if something fails in the early mechanisms, porsche's fix is to replace EVERYTHING in the convertible top system (cable and gear wise). Its about $4k

For raw, smack you in the nuts power, a 951 is hard to beat, and the hp is pretty much limitless depending on your budget. It will always be a constant project though. If you like to tinker with your cars, then it is a fun car to play with. It's 20 years old, and things are justs flat worn out, even with low miles. Rubber ages. I like the looks of the 951, the power options, and the driveability. I am the type of person who needs to have a constant project in the garage. The 951 fullfills that for me.

For me, a 951 all the way. I like things a bit more raw, and the power is where it is at for me. If I were to get my wife something, it would either be a boxster or a 996C2, as both of those are very trouble free vehicles.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
...NO you're not...what are you talking about???!!

Except for the fact that one is a cabrio, they both serve the exact same purpose.
The only items that are alike I can think of is:
1, Yes this is the topic
2. They wear the Porsche logo
3. Porsche designed and made the 2 cars.
4. Yes they serve the same purpose of a weekend toy

I'm sure I may have missed a few.

Differences:
1. As you mentioned Conv vs coupe
2. 2 seater vs 2 + 2 hatchback
3. Rear engine and rear drive vs front engine rear drive. Handling characteristics are comepletely different.
4. Flat 6 vs 4 cyl turbo. This in itself is a huge difference.

These are just the visible differences. Drive both back to back and see for yourself....

My 2 cents.....
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I have driven both back-to-back and am aware of the differences. The most notable difference in my mind (except for the conv vs. coupe) is the motor. The flat six of the non-S Boxster is a bit anemic up top, whereas obviously the turbo has a crazy torque curve.

However, I'm inclined to disagree w/ you re: handling. While both have different engine locations, they both have a rear transaxle and essentially a 50:50 weight distribution. Both take more muscle than your average car to maneuver around (like any porsche) and both are great for track duty. However I would pick the boxster over the 951 for autox.

Just my opinion, mind.

The 951's just a sexier car anyway! When I ended up buying my 951, let's just say my g/f was *nuts* about it...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I have driven both back-to-back and am aware of the differences. The most notable difference in my mind (except for the conv vs. coupe) is the motor. The flat six of the non-S Boxster is a bit anemic up top, whereas obviously the turbo has a crazy torque curve.

However, I'm inclined to disagree w/ you re: handling. While both have different engine locations, they both have a rear transaxle and essentially a 50:50 weight distribution. Both take more muscle than your average car to maneuver around (like any porsche) and both are great for track duty. However I would pick the boxster over the 951 for autox.

Just my opinion, mind.

The 951's just a sexier car anyway! When I ended up buying my 951, let's just say my g/f was *nuts* about it...
We all have our opinions. Chalk another props for the 951....

On the other hand. Post this in the Boxster board and and I'm almost sure all of them will tell you to get the Boxster....In the end it's your decition. I can tell you this about the 951. I've had a 951 for 14 years. This has been my dream car since I first saw the commercial. For an 18 yr old or older car it still able to hold it's own against today's newer cars.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Take my plan. Already have my 951, trading the charger in on a Boxster within the next few months :-D
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think the boxster has 50/50 weight distribution or does it.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

You are actually right lart. The boxster has a 46/54 weight distribution, the 944 turbo has something like 50.4/49.6 or something. But, the boxster is a handling beast due to its mid-engined layout.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I was actually a bit off: according to R&T it's 47:53 f:r.

Lart, you'll be happy to know your Z4 is 50:50 ....if you didn't know that already...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The boxster is not a 50/50 weight distribution. And handles VERY differently than the 50/50 of the 944. Just becaue the engine isn't behind the rear axle does not mean it is a 50/50 distribution.

I drove and autocrossed both a Boxster S and a 944 Turbo for 4 years each.

The biggest difference in the boxster is that once it starts to rotate it rotates out so fast that if you aren't already countering you will typically spin. High speed corners are counter intuitive as you absolutely must be in the throttle to keep the rear end under control.

The 944 rotates much slower and gives you more of a chance to react and stay in control. Throttle steering is much easier as the car rotates slower and balance sweet spot has a much wider throttle range. It is much easier to maintain a drift in the 944 turbo than a BoxsterS.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I was actually a bit off: according to R&T it's 47:53 f:r.

Lart, you'll be happy to know your Z4 is 50:50 ....if you didn't know that already...
lol, I didn't know, but before getting the z4 I drove them both and the boxster handles better there is no doubt, but both cars lack power and handling when compared to my 951, I have bilstein coilovers with hypercoil springs 550 front 450 rear and M030 sway bars and I can tell you that my 944 turbo outhandles both the Z4 and the boxster, around the turns and in straight line.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
The biggest difference in the boxster is that once it starts to rotate it rotates out so fast that if you aren't already countering you will typically spin. High speed corners are counter intuitive as you absolutely must be in the throttle to keep the rear end under control.

The 944 rotates much slower and gives you more of a chance to react and stay in control. Throttle steering is much easier as the car rotates slower and balance sweet spot has a much wider throttle range. It is much easier to maintain a drift in the 944 turbo than a BoxsterS.
Ha yeah I noticed that too when I used to autox a boxster non-S. I actually liked it better due to its quicker steering and more "agile" rear-end.

I greatly prefer oversteer to understeer, but yeah when that thing starts rotating, it doesn't stop.....
Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
silverbullet
Pro

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the 968 cabio. It's cheaper then a Boxter S and damn near as quick. Super rare and pretty much just a really great convertable.

I'd go for one of those over a Boxster any day.

Quick Reply: 951 vs. Boxster