Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to tune?

Well, since no one has said anything about a fuel map for the car, it looks like I'll have to tune the car by myself. This could be the start of a fun and rewarding process, regardless of the amount of time it takes to get it right.

I've read everything I could find about tuning using the PSC1, but most documentation says that I need to use an OBDII scan tool to read the data from the car. I actually have one of these, but unfortuately our cars don't have OBDII :/

All I really need to know is how much fuel the car is dumping into the cylinders so that I can tune the MAF to adjust towards a more optimal air/fuel mixture.

I have an air/fuel ratio gauge and a boost gauge in the car (invaluable for tuning!) but unless I'm at WOT the air/fuel gauge doesn't give me any useful information.

How do I tune it so that I can feel comfortable getting closer to WOT?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

what mods, what air/fuel gauge and unless it's a Wide Band, it's not going to be much use for tuning.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a wide band O2. I started out with the narrow band and didn't get much out of it. The basic steps I went through to tune my car are on my web page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hp18racer/944/944.html
Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Sorry I left this out:

Mods:
T04b
SFR MAF
Vitesse chips
AFPR

And unfortunately I don't have wide-band O2 yet. Thanks hp18racer for the advice.. I'll pick one up as soon as I can to get this started.

Thanks for the link!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuning a car with a narrow band is a recipe for disaster. Save yourself a lot of grief and get the wide band. The narrow band just doesn't have the resolution needed to safely tune a car with boost. You can start to tune the partial throttle settings by adjusting the fuel so the narrow band cycles. This will atleast get you in the ballpark. I would not boost at all until you can be sure that you have an accurate way to read a/f ratio.

Quick Reply: How to tune?