Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any sound clips of Lindsey 4" Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure when Kell gets around to checking the boards, he will post about his 4" setup. Its custom built, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, one Magnaflow 4" muffler. Wastegate is dumped into the atmostphere. There is no way around it....the car is loud. Its louder than a built 3.8L 964 turning 8000rpms with no mufflers. The car is bearable until the wastegate opens, then you might as well not even worry about talking to anything, yourself included. When I get out of the car, my hearing is literally muted for a couple of minutes. If you in any echoing area, on the passenger side, when the wastegate opens, you won't be hearing for a matter of minutes.

The upsides - you hear everything, turbo included. The engine sounds great, not ricey at all. The best part is riding behind the car and seeing the 4" piping. It just spells badass. I think there would be a noticable gain in power. Car shoots flames consistantly now. You don't have to worry about hearing Honda's and Acura's...you drone them out with ease!

Wes
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like it is loud enough to do permanent hearing damage.

With the LR 4 inch and Flowmaster ie 126 db, I got pulled over because an officer heard the car 3 blocks away and came and got me.

With MagnaFlow ie 96 db, no more hassles from The Man.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Sounds like it is loud enough to do permanent hearing damage.

With the LR 4 inch and Flowmaster ie 126 db, I got pulled over because an officer heard the car 3 blocks away and came and got me.

+1 now that I got the magnaflow I haven't had any problems with cops. And its a 4inch system I can live with.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 AM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm keeping the Magnaflow!

Any clips of the system with vs. without the Outlaw pre-muffler?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

I don't have a sound clip, but I helped Dave Lindsey do the db sound level test when he installed the cat muffler on his car with 4 inch and MagnaFlow. It was 5 db quieter and seemed to take just a little of the raspy/metal sound out, but not so much that it sounded different.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneqco
I think the rationale is that, whilst substantially reduced with the 4", significant exhaust backpressure is still present which they hope to eliminate with the 5".
As I have heard from some of the big dogs in here, the backpressure is in the head and headers, not so much the exhaust; assuming you ahve already got the cat out and or 3".

If you have upgraded your head and headers, then yes I would say go with 4 or 5". But silly to go that big on exhaust if you still have stock head and headers.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

From a comment Dave Lindsey made...

"Even with the 4 inch we've measured back pressure from where the wastegate dump rejoins the exhaust. I would like to build a 5 inch making it bigger where the wategate dump joins to see if it makes any more power."

From that comment the 5 inch idea is not that the 4 inch is not big enough for the turbo outliet, it's about the wastegate line re-joining the exhuast.

Also, they already have 5 inch tips for after the muffler.
So by dumping my wg to atm saved me how much $$$$ ????

That statement by Dave also proves there is a performance difference by dumping wg and not tieing it back into the exhaust.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
That statement by Dave also proves there is a performance difference by dumping wg and not tieing it back into the exhaust.
Let's see...a 4 inch exhaust doesn't add power, yet dumping the wastegate does? Oh, I give up.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Let's see...a 4 inch exhaust doesn't add power, yet dumping the wastegate does? Oh, I give up.
My point was that it is a hell of a lot cheaper to just cut the wg dump to atm then a 4", if the gains that were seen were mostly due to wg tied back into exhaust.

I agree a 4" or 5" might make more power, but one should probably consider getting the stock choking piece out first (head) before a 4 or 5" exhaust.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
So by dumping my wg to atm saved me how much $$$$ ????

Absolutely, but the noise is too much for most street car users and you would get black flagged on pretty much all track events, at least in Europe.

Plus I don't think the yearly inspection would be impressed with exhaust piping existing under the car.

Quick Reply: Any sound clips of Lindsey 4" Exhaust?