ibkevin: Remote control install issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ibkevin: Remote control install issue

Hey Kevin,
I tried to answer your PM but your mailbox is full so just in case you are at the installer this AM here's what I know.

The short answer is I didn't wire my own alarm. Assuming your have working power locks and your hatch release button (down by your left ankle) works, the installer should have no problem configuring a remote to lock/unlock your doors and pop your hatch open. I had mine installed by a shop in Santa Monica and it works fine. I have a two button remove, one locks/unlocks the doors, the other pops open the hatch. An aftermarket alarm can conflict with the built in alarm (if your car has one) but thats not a problem if you don't use the power lock button on the center console.

If your doors had powerlocks and a hatch button that worked prior to your install and they can't figure out how to install the alarm, I'd say you need to take the car elsewhere. If you get stuck, I can get you the name/phone number of the shop that did mine. I would think any circuit city would suffice and the only reason I didn't have them install mine was because they didn't carry the alarm model I wanted.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I got a $49 remote from Circuit City and installed myself by tying into the central locking system. It was a very easy installation -- essentially just power for the unit, and a tie-in to the wire going to the door microswitches. Both doors open/close together this way, but i didn't do the hatch.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Any decent audio/alarm shop should be able to hook up an alarm with door locks and trunk release. It is a walk in the park. For you do it yourselfers go to Bulldogsecurity.com. You can pull up 944( the colors are the same for turbo or non-turbo) and it will give you the wireing colors of the car and were to find them. The truck release is a + trip. All you need is a relay to switch the trunk output to a positve from a negative and tap into the correct wire color(on bulldog security.com) in kick panel and press truck release and wala, trunk opens.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks RK, I've since done a little house cleaning.

I concluded a while back that a car alarm w/o a 2way remote was useless, and units with that feature were not cheap at the time and the prices the dealer wanted for the install made it absurd, so I broke out my DIY project box. The original owner did not order an alarm, electric door locks, cruise, etc. so I have since installed power locks and a working hatch motor switch. Now to bring the two together...

A visit to Circuit City got me a bunch of finger pointing, so I drove across the lot to Tweeter - more finger pointing but this time I got a name at a central store and visited them this morning to find out the master installer had the day off. Can't blame him there, it's an awesome day here!

There is a distinct relay type to be used with our doors and of course it depends on how the alarm is wired, I think the hatch release is much more generic. I'll pick master installers brain on Monday to see if they really know what they are doing.

I always seem to pick the hard way to do these things, BUT, my system components are buried, properly soldered connections, and you will not be able to find the brain.

Thanks for the help Guys!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

You need no relays with a alarm or keyless entry that does +or - output out of the door lock wires
Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

The locking system is a basic system. It is activated by a neg signal to either the lock wire or unlock wire. All keyless entrys and alarms have neg out put door locks. All you have to do is tap the unlock wire and tap the lock wire and plug in the wires form the keyless entry into them. If you installed your own door locks then you need 2 standard relays and wire it up for reverse polarity. It is alittle more complicated. If anyone needs a diagram I can fax it to them. I have to be honest, at my shop even my basic 1yr installer can do these cars. If you go to a shop and they dont know how to do these cars they are not qualified to be in this feild. Todays cars with computer controlled door locks are alot more complicated and reqiure special modules do do door locks in most new american cars. Most japanese are still neg trip.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by ibkevin; 08-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: ibkevin: Remote control install issue