Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New owner of FD RX-7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put an LS1 in it....

You won't regret it. I have an aquantance that has one of the first Hinson conversions. I have seen and followed this car around at Pocono during a DE day....I would love the make a Hybrid like this.
Take a look at his great site. He has TONS of pictures and videos.

http://209.177.55.37/rx7.htm
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
brent_strong
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! How much would you want for that blown motor?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car we are making 480whp out of is a 13BT, Total cost to build the motor to that spec was 9K.

As far as running against LS1's, We just ran it on low boost (11psi) vs a Head/Cam/Headers/Exhaust/Intake/Nitrous) 99 Vette.

The vette won by about a car from 40-120mph..
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishey
The car we are making 480whp out of is a 13BT, Total cost to build the motor to that spec was 9K.

As far as running against LS1's, We just ran it on low boost (11psi) vs a Head/Cam/Headers/Exhaust/Intake/Nitrous) 99 Vette.

The vette won by about a car from 40-120mph..
Yeah I have to say the c5's are rather disapointing in that department they loose soo much hp. Hell they dyno 275's stock. Where as a ls1 in a ta will dyno 300+hp stock. kinda sad.

good runs though. That guys site with his ls1 swapped 7 was pretty cool.

http://209.177.55.37/scc.htm

hahah and I quote

Years of USCC experience has taught us to be weary of anything powered by forced induction rotary engines, which tend to blow up, short out, overheat, catch on fire or suck in any number of ways when subjected to our grueling death march.

haha thats posted in sport compact car for pete's sake. Even they say the 13b isint reliable at higher hp.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:55 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

And yet when they did their comparison between an LS1 FD and a 13B FD the 13B car put down quicker lap times. Funny how that works.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
And yet when they did their comparison between an LS1 FD and a 13B FD the 13B car put down quicker lap times. Funny how that works.
lol. Re read my post did I say anything about speed? Nah I was commenting on how reliable the 13b is with mods. Infact thats been my main arguement from day 1. When you want big power the rotary don't last. I've seen dozens of 7's blow up. All different types of setups. However the two guys I know with ls's never had their's blow up on them.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
lol. Re read my post did I say anything about speed? Nah I was commenting on how reliable the 13b is with mods. Infact thats been my main arguement from day 1. When you want big power the rotary don't last. I've seen dozens of 7's blow up. All different types of setups. However the two guys I know with ls's never had their's blow up on them.
I think almost all failures can be traced back to stupid engine builders/tuners/owners. The main issue with a rotary is keeping it cool and if you can do that they are very reliable. A perfect example is here local to me with the 3 faster rotaries being very reliable yet the slower one (still over 400whp) has blown up 3 times. This is 100% traceable to the people who built the car being utter retards (Rx7store in C-Bus).
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fishey
I think almost all failures can be traced back to stupid engine builders/tuners/owners. The main issue with a rotary is keeping it cool and if you can do that they are very reliable. A perfect example is here local to me with the 3 faster rotaries being very reliable yet the slower one (still over 400whp) has blown up 3 times. This is 100% traceable to the people who built the car being utter retards (Rx7store in C-Bus).
I have to agree that tuner and engine builder is everything in these cases.

but, having said that i've got some of the best rx7 tuners in the country here in my area.

rx7.com's rotary performance. marvel speed, gothem racing. I could go on and on. Using that list alone you've got world recorder holders in the 7 business. Jesus rotary performance is about 8 blocks from my neighborhood and several of their employee's live in my neighborhood.

There are ton's and ton's and ton's very heavily modded 7's in my area and they all got problems.

Quick Reply: New owner of FD RX-7