Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New owner of FD RX-7

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OHH ****. Stop talking! I start to want one again. Already now people call me carzy, if I would get a FD it would be the 7th car of my fleet...

What about the ergonomics? I remember that when sitting in the RX7 the steering wheel was BETWEEN my legs in a not very good position. Compared to that, the 944s are absolutly perfect, fit like a glove.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:12 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brent_strong
I can accept that, my reasons for the swap are mostly that I don't want to deal with the rotary quirkiness when, for similar money, I can have a well known and supported engine making great power and torque. I go for simplicity and value. I think the LS1 takes that hands-down.
How do you figure that for similar money you can have an LS1 powered RX7 making the same power as a 13b RX7? The LS1 makes 350 - 400 hp at the flywheel and the swap will cost you $20k. You can make similar power with the stock twins on an FD and still be reliable by installing injectors, Power FC, free flowing exhaust and turning up the boost. There is no way that you can use an engine swap being more economical than the stock set up. Hell if 400 hp is not enough for you get a big single and tune it. Even if you use your $15K price tag it's not a good thing to do based soley on economics.

The LS1 swap is not necessary to get power into an RX7. It's not necessary if you are looking for big power in an RX7. It's not necessary to get reliable power into an RX7. It's not necessary at all and when done I don't think you end up with a better car than you started with. You just end up with a different car. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by brent_strong
I don't have shops work on my cars. Until I can afford to spend $150+/hr on labor, all I'd get is half-assed work and attempted scams. I do my own work and I do it on my own schedule so it's right.
Your estimated cost to complete the job is based upon you doing it yourself and not hiring someone. In that case your costs would be considered optimistic for most people. I agree that one can do a great job themselves - often better than the work you get from a shop because you actually give a damn about how it comes out. However, doing the swap yourself should not really be considered the base line cost wise for doing a swap.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Keep the rotary engine in the car but get it built correctly and properly maintained. There is nothing wrong with the rotary engine if it is maintained and built well. An LS1 conversion will cost you more than it's worth in my opinion. The same guys who say go LS1 on the FD would say to go LS1 on our 951's for pretty much the same reasons. I have had an RX7 for years and usually the reason the engine gets such a bad rap is because idiots modify them without knowing what they are doing or the cars are bought by the financially unstable and thus don't get the proper maintanence or they get someone who thinks they know a little something about the engine and everything gets messed up. I've seen it over and over again. Keep the rotary in the car and not only can you make really good power it can be made easier than on our 951's and your resale value won't be **** when you go to sell it.
I think i'd have to disagree. Jermey's car went for 22k and it was just a ls1 with some other minor things.

It also went realively fast.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Right. Good luck with the sale. If you were honest about the swap you would have to say to convert an FD to LS1 would be the same cost as doing a 951. It's not a $25k swap done properly by a professional shop. These arguements have been had over and over again and the guys who have had it done have paid much more - especially when the cost of buying the car is included.
Umm yeah it is. I know of several shops in my area that can do a pro install for 13k plus the motor. Considering you can buy a ls1 for several grand pretty easy you can do the math.

gotham racing will do you one up all day long for that amount of money.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

The LS1 swap is not necessary to get power into an RX7. It's not necessary if you are looking for big power in an RX7. It's not necessary to get reliable power into an RX7. It's not necessary at all and when done I don't think you end up with a better car than you started with. You just end up with a different car. To each his own I guess.
I've been in and drove around plenty of 500-600hp rx7's Anyone who says they hold up at that power level is crazy. Even at 430hp my boddy jon is having to completely redo his motor AGAIN.

stephen had 570hp and went through 3 motor's and sooo many problems with that car. We have a strong rx7 club down here....everyone bitches about the relability of the stock FD powerplant. If left stock sure they will last but, if you are wanting to mod it....a ls motor is agreat way to go.

Hell the white on here locally put's down over 500hp on 93 octane with a stupid powerband all day long and he beats the **** outta that car and nothing has happened to the motor or the tranny.

I've never been around a 500hp rx7 thats been able to be ragged on like that at the track and still live. just my expeirence ofcourse
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

With the prices you guys are quoting a guy would make a good business doing swaps. Spend $15K doing the conversion and sell the car for $22-$32 afterwards. Something tells me that it's not that simple.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Umm yeah it is. I know of several shops in my area that can do a pro install for 13k plus the motor. Considering you can buy a ls1 for several grand pretty easy you can do the math.

gotham racing will do you one up all day long for that amount of money.
Ok, 13K for the install, maybe $4k for the engine and another $7K for the shell plus any other maintenance things. That's 24K so far - not far off of my $30k number. The numbers being quoted are not just for the swap - they are saying all in they can do it for $15k.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I've been in and drove around plenty of 500-600hp rx7's Anyone who says they hold up at that power level is crazy. Even at 430hp my boddy jon is having to completely redo his motor AGAIN.

stephen had 570hp and went through 3 motor's and sooo many problems with that car. We have a strong rx7 club down here....everyone bitches about the relability of the stock FD powerplant. If left stock sure they will last but, if you are wanting to mod it....a ls motor is agreat way to go.

Hell the white on here locally put's down over 500hp on 93 octane with a stupid powerband all day long and he beats the **** outta that car and nothing has happened to the motor or the tranny.

I've never been around a 500hp rx7 thats been able to be ragged on like that at the track and still live. just my expeirence ofcourse
First of all how much does it cost to build a 600 hp LS1? They were talking stock numbers. Secondly, you guys need to make a trip to Japan sometime and get an education on how long a 500 hp RX7 will last. Built with the right parts and proper tuning they are no less reliable than your LS1. Definately not "****" like you've proclaimed.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
I love how upset RX7 owners get about converted cars. It amuses me.
LS1 Swapped RX7's are everywhere now but funny thing is around here there are about 6-7 of them and only 3 single turbo cars. Not a single LSX Swapped car is faster then any of the single turbo rotary cars. I find that funny myself expecially when I look at the cost into these rotary cars..
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

First of all how much does it cost to build a 600 hp LS1? They were talking stock numbers. Secondly, you guys need to make a trip to Japan sometime and get an education on how long a 500 hp RX7 will last. Built with the right parts and proper tuning they are no less reliable than your LS1. Definately not "****" like you've proclaimed.
I've seen the stuff in japan and its pretty nuts out there. In american the japanese stuff just doesn't seem to perform as well. Prolly because out there they have been doing it since the begining of time and really know how to push the envelope. After all thats what its all about isint it.

But, how did we get from discussing a ls swap to bring you're car to japan and get it done? lol I wonder what that would cost.

Ok, 13K for the install, maybe $4k for the engine and another $7K for the shell plus any other maintenance things. That's 24K so far - not far off of my $30k number. The numbers being quoted are not just for the swap - they are saying all in they can do it for $15k.
Yeah you can get them done for 15k if you are doing the work yourself which alot of guys do. You said in a above post that you couldn't get a pro shop to get it done for less than 25k out the door and im telling you, actually you can and I have friends that have done it.

It's not a $25k swap done properly by a professional shop.
See I wasn't lying.

jeremy bought his as a roller chassis for 5k and it came with built suspension and wheels already not to mention gauges and tons of other little tid bits. The converstion cost him 13 grand and he bought a heads/cam/SCT ls1 for 5k fully done up.

All in all he had about 23 grand in that car and it made 440rwhp on 93 octane pump fuel and had a powerband that was to die for. He would smoke 500+hp single turbo fd's all day long. I watched him do it. In the end he sold the car for what he had in it. So he got to drive and build the car for free essentially.

where as I have two other friends that opted not to go ls(btw they both wish they did now) and have spent ten's of thousands of dollers on custom turbo kits and built motor's. All professionally done ofcourse. And they didn't last that long either. I think jon got 1.5 yrs outta his and know he needs a new motor and stephen got even less(ofcourse stephen was 570hp on race fuel). Jeremey drove his car in that 440 configuration for several years and sold it as is. No problems other than usual wear and tear items.

You talk to any serious rx7 owner thats dumped a bunch of money in a 400-500-600hp single turbo 7 and they will all give you a long list of problems they have had.

Im not saying the stock motor is ****. Im saying if you are modding the thing you wanna seriously look at something else. Unless you will be happy with 320-330ish hp which those cars will make all day long on stock or JDM twins. If you want bigger power the standard motor just isint well suited for it.

Btw you are building a 20b. There is a guy here locally with a built 20b turbo FD. Makes stupid power I don't even remember how much. We all went out and ron(300shot srt-10 viper) raced him in mexico and the FD blew up.

Its on youtube. lol. You can do a search and find it. They are lovely cars just lovely. Im absolutely in love with how they look. Im just not in love with the motor.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

*shrug* I can think of 5 LS1 swapped RX7's locally and about 3 single turbo RX7's. I think all but one of the LSx swapped cars are faster than the 400-450whp rotaries.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
*shrug* I can think of 5 LS1 swapped RX7's locally and about 3 single turbo RX7's. I think all but one of the LSx swapped cars are faster than the 400-450whp rotaries.
yeah its called area under the curve powerband. lol. Peak power aint the end all be all.

The car with the fatter powerband on the street is what wins. Unless ofcourse you are talking huge differencies in power range..and the its obvious.

jeremey's car at 440 was killing 500hp fd's.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah its called area under the curve powerband. lol. Peak power aint the end all be all.

The car with the fatter powerband on the street is what wins. Unless ofcourse you are talking huge differencies in power range..and the its obvious.

jeremey's car at 440 was killing 500hp fd's.
We spool 1.32 A/R off at 3500 and full boost at 4000 on our RX7. Making alittle over 480whp on 18.5psi and 24psi is still to come. Most of the LS1 Swapped cars are running 118-120mph traps. The Rotary cars are 124-130mph so take it how you want.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice score Sean... I had 1st and 2nd generations but never got the 3rd for some reason. I was actually looking for the 3rd generation when I ran into Dr. Porsche's creation and haven't turned toward Japan since ;-)

Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: New owner of FD RX-7