Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

may purchase 951S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 04:48 PM
996apple
Track Day

Talking may purchase 951S

I am looking at a "89 Turbo S-------nice condition with some mods---like chip and exhasut-----would this be a good track car-----mostly had 911's but the price is right on this car--------what are pro- cons to doing DE's maybe auto cross thanks 996Aapple
Old 03-26-2007 | 07:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

It's been my experience any Porsche is a good track car. But I think the question really is: is the car suited to your ability/experience? If you've never been on the track, there are easier cars (and cheaper ones) that will give you a very solid foundation of the basics -- but many people then tire of these cars as they look for more speed. I assume you're not a pro on the track, otherwise you probably wouldn't have asked the question.

I think most people would agree that if you have some track experience, a well sorted 951 is a rewarding and quite capable car on the track.

I don't mean to say that if you're a novice you shouldn't get it -- but just that with a more powerful car, you have to be careful not to learn bad habits (relying on your straight-line speed to compensate for being fast in the corners).

It really comes down to comfort level and affordability. I believe that you have to be prepared for the worst on the track (i.e. write the car off if you total it). For some people, that's a new 911 -- for other's, it's a 924. Of course, you don't want to be intimidated by the car either, because it will hamper your learning.

(I once had a student with an early '80s 911 he put a 993 twin turbo engine in. He kept wanting to go as fast as possible on the straights, but was then terrified about the corners, making it fairly stressful and not very "conducive to learning".)
Old 03-26-2007 | 08:09 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

The 951 S is the perfect car for the track. Well balanced, good brakes, stout running gear and drivetrain. Stock it's only 250hp so nothing that will get you in serious trouble as a novice but after a few weekends you will start wanting more.

Wheels and tires
Cage/harness bar and seats/harnesses
HP=MAF, raised boost levels, etc etc
Stiffer springs, stiffer torsion bars and the suspension is perfect (not that it's terrible stock..but it's all relative)

Overall I could not be happier with my car...I've abused it for a decade on the track and it has been far more reliable than it should have been.

If you have found a 951S that is in good shape and a decent price....BUY IT. You will soon decide you like it better than that 911...especially at speed.

IMHO
Old 03-27-2007 | 11:01 AM
Musche
Racer

+1 on Bill's advice. Easy to work on and a great place to start for DE. Not a real good autocross car though. The 951 S is designed for track not autocross. The tall gearing leaves you wanting and waiting for power to come out of the tight corners in autox. A well balanced 951S on the track is a hoot to drive and very capable in the lower run groups. As you progress be prepared to spend some cash to get more out of the car.
Old 03-27-2007 | 12:01 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

IMHO, (and that of many others) a 951S is the most bang for the buck Porsche out there. I DE track my S with mild mods and am very competitive in the fastest run groups. The only guys who can walk away are the Vipers, high end 911s and Zo6s. A late M3 or tweaked Evo/Sti will make great company. None of those can be had and set up for under $20gs. Go for it!!
Old 03-27-2007 | 02:57 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

The 89' 951 is a great track car. It is not an S, that is already assumed for that model year, if it was an 88' thats then it would have the "S" badge. Big brakes, m030 suspension and bigger turbo housing. Its a pillar of excellance. Which is why I cringe when I think of someone putting a car that special on a track. If you have a 996, you got $. If you got $ buy and 87' or 88' 951 and have even better upgrades installed for the money you would have spent on that nice 88' "S" or 89' 951. Or even an 86'. My point is, to me the 88' "S" or the 89' 951 is too nice to track and heavily modify. Its hard enough to find a nice one these days, dont take the chance of ruining something that nice. Just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:06 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
Its a pillar of excellance. Which is why I cringe when I think of someone putting a car that special on a track.
That is EXACTLY why I got mine... It's kind of the GT3 of 944s! I said to my self, "Self, what car can you afford that Porsche prepared the best for the track?" And an '88 Silver-rose Turbo S was it.

(If I could afford a 962, which is arguably a pretty special Porsche, I'd drive that on the track, too.)
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:14 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
if it was an 88' thats then it would have the "S" badge. .
I agree with most of your thoughts except this one. No Turbo S's, 88s or 89s, ever came with an S badge on the back. Yes, you may have seen it before, but it was added on by an owner. Do a search, you will see. These cars were purpose built to be run on a road course. IMO, saving them for powder puff drives or polishing them for display is like locking a beautiful bird in a cage. There are a LOT better cars for daily stop and go traffic. Get a 951S and use it for its intended purpose.
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:16 PM
996apple
Track Day

Question thanks

Thanks for all the input-------just looking for something for track other than my 996 daily driver-------was the turbo S only available in '87 and '88 and not '89----seller claims it is an "S"-------what in the VIN# would indicate an "S"?
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:32 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

She is an "S" and desirable if it is an 89 model. The Turbo S package was introduced mid 88 with a run of silver rose cars, then other colors were made too. Since it is an 89, don't worry yourself anymore about that. Obvious clues to the TS lineage would be club sport wheels, (7, 9 x 16s) adjustable konis, big brakes, speakers in the door panel where pockets used to be, engine ID 52, and other hidden goodies. With a chip and some boost mods, she can fairly easily knock on 300 RWHP. The adjustable suspension, great balance and big brakes make her a perfect track toy. Post pics and details after you have the title in hand. Any sooner and we'll steal it from ya!
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:34 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

996apple, sorry I confused you man, read my original reply again. That car you are looking at is awesome, its the best package the 944 came with. The one you are looking at is an "S" indeed. Basically, if the paint is in better condition than very good, not to mention a nice color, and interior is and 8 out of 10 then dont use if for the track. In my opinion it is too nice for your needs. I wouldnt do that unless it was some ugly nasty color like silver rose or champaine. Anyway, how much is the buyer asking? Whats the conditon?
Old 03-27-2007 | 03:36 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

The 89 is a turbo S. There were no 'normal' turbo's built that year...they are all S's. The 89 or 88 S are the ones to find. Not many out there really, but if you get one you will never regret it.

These cars were purpose built to be run on a road course. IMO, saving them for powder puff drives or polishing them for display is like locking a beautiful bird in a cage. There are a LOT better cars for daily stop and go traffic. Get a 951S and use it for its intended purpose.
My thoughts exactly. A porsche (all of them - pre 996) were built for the track, intended for the track and should be put on the track. A turbo S that is not tracked is an abused car, driven by an abusive man who should have purchased a cayenne instead. They were never meant to be concourse cars. Mine was pristene when I bought it. No rock chips, no seat wear, original everything and a complete garage queen. Poor thing....she's happier now. Passing GT-2 993 twin turbos on the track makes her happier than a garage queen will ever be.
Old 03-27-2007 | 04:17 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

All 89s are "S" spec. You won't regret your purchase. Buy it and drive it hard to extract maximum smiles per mile! It will reward you for taking it out to let it run!
Old 03-27-2007 | 04:24 PM
ApexCars
Pro

I agree with most of what billindenver said, but for a dedicated track car, I think you get better bang for the buck from a "regular" 951. The reason I say that is because most people that start running on the track are going to start modding it and replace many of the things that you are already paying a premium for in an S. Even though the S has many improved items over the non-S, those same itmes are the ones you will soon be upgrading anyway, so why pay for them twice. Now, if you really will leave it stock, then it is probably worth it.
Old 03-27-2007 | 06:23 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Apexcars is saying a good part of what ive been trying to. Think about it man, its more convenient to get an 86', 87', even an average looking 88'. Its your best bet. Or if it is an ugly color like bills and it doesnt matter then just do it. Those ones in 88' that were the first "S" models to be released were probably intended for track. They did not have a sunroof, no power windows and a/c, theres more but do you get my point? An "S" is cool but they are a rarity in the 944 world and a trophy car. There is an 89' in california with a little over 5k on it for sale, $25,000, beautiful 11 out of 10. Black on black. Would you track that??? If you say yes, you have the mind of a chevy.

Quick Reply: may purchase 951S