Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Equalizer question and somemore !!!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Depape
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Equalizer question and somemore !!!!! :)

hey guys,
ive been driving around for awhile with no radio, which isnt that big of a deal because i was going to turn my 944t into a track car..... but times have changed.

i removed the equalizer from my '89s to make room for the LR gauge plate (as many others have) , but now i dont have radio. is there anything i need to connect or change to make my head unit work?? ( im not much of a sound system guy..... so i dont really mess with it that much) the previous owner did but a alpine head unit on.... but i cant seem to get it to play w/out (or now w/) the equalizer.
IT WILL TURN ON, just no tunes

- oh and my boost guage (autometer) has been reading its "zero" in the vacuum range ( like negative) and going up ffrom there. is there something i can do so that it will start at 0 and go into the positive. (still reads right amount of boost pressure.... just starts from around -20 vacuum)

Thanks guys...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Depape
Racer

about to go to sleep, would like to have some advice by sometime tomorrow afternoon

thanks guys!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the stock EQ? It probally didnt work anyway.

You should be able to hook it up regardless.

If its turning on, just not playing any tunes, that a good sign the volume is turned down. JUST KIDDING... It usually means that some wires are crossed or touching somewhere, and the head unit wont play anything as a safety. It may still turn on.

Look to see if the wiring is ok, see if there are any exposed wires touching the chassis and grounding out.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:19 AM
AlexE
Pro

........ ? equalizer. Normally you have the outs coming from the eq....... so if you removed it. What did you do with all the speaker outs? No disrespect but you are over your head. Find someone who will hook up the deck properly.

........ autometer boost guage working as design. You are seeing 20mmhg (vacuum) this is normal.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:09 AM
JE_951
Pro

are you running an external amp?

If so:

there should be a RCA (or two) going from the head Unit to the equalizer. THere would then be a RCA (or two) going from the equalizer to the amp. In order to make this work you will have to connect the amp to the headunit (canceling the equalizer)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Depape
Racer

no everything soundsystem wise is stock....

so i might relocate the equalizer to the glove compartment. it just wont play when everything is hooked up.

just to make sure, where do the 2 wires (ones black with brown strips, other is black with green strips, iirc, go??)

- heres what im hooking up in the equalizer, the round external plug with about 10-15 pins (didnt count just estimating) plugs into a female end from the head unit.
-then there is all the speakers, right front, left front... etc (what color goes with what?? double checking)
-then theres 3 plugs that just slide into the equalizer.
-and then theres the two wires that im not sure about... (ones i talked about earlier)

i took this out last year so im not sure if im doing all this right shoulda labled it all.

thnks
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Tms951
Pro

It might be worth your time and money to buy a new cheap CD player and pull the old stock stuff and just kkep the speakers. Installing a head unit is really easy you just need a 12v source ground and then plug in the speaker wires.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Depape
Racer

^^ the PO put in a alpine cd player head unit. but was still running the equalizer.... only problem is, i took out the equalizer for rooms sake, and now i cant get the damned thing to work again!?!?!?!....
Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the eq just has power and ground which you can just cut off and tape, then the speaker wires coming in from the radio, and out to the speakers. What you would need to do is cut the head unit from the eq, then the eq from the car. Then connect all the speaker wires direct from the radio to the harness accordingly. This should help also http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqst.html
Old 03-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Depape
Racer

ok ive decided im just going to put the equalizer in the glove compartment.....

only problem is, i cant get it wired up right?!?!?! (dont exactly remember which color goes with what speaker, and dont know what to do w/ the stray wires in the corner)

anyone have a pic or diagram of how its all connected??

Quick Reply: Equalizer question and somemore !!!!! :)