Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best 93 Octane fuel for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you get 100 octane gas outside of a track? living in So.California.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ehall
octane boosters = crap. Search this forum for Xylene and tuolene.
93 octane =93 octane. There is no difference in quality fuel suppliers. If you go to Joe's cheap *** gas stop, you may well get what you pay for, but even then it will have come from a major refinery with a generic label.
Regardless of brand the only risk is in the handling of the fuel and the maintenance of the tanks.
BTW there are SO MANY more important things to worry about. lol
Negative, Torco , as stated in the above post works very well. You will get orange colored plugs but that about sums it up. The mineral spirits are way to expensive, might as well fill up with racegas which ranges from $5-8 a gallon.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

About the only way I can get 93 around here is to get it with 10% ethanol.

No Cheveron stations around here. Shell is pretty proud of their fuel. Nearly $.10 more per gallons proud in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic told me that 101 Octane gas is very dry and it might melt a piston, told me not bother trying VP Racing fuels, said if I do, to mix it with a little oil...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Show me where Torco is less expensive. It is NOT.
http://www.torco.com/cart.php
The octane boosters I was referring too are the crap you find on the shelf at Pepgirl etc. Torco is an actual racing fuel company and supplier.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I've been thinking about filling up over at infineon, I guess I may just have to tomorrow
Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
In theory, if you car runs MUCH better on higher octane, you have bad tuning. There might be some mild timing advance if running higher octane but that is it. If your car is night and day with it then your timging is being pulled way back for some reason and you should find out why.

Of course this is assuming no change in boost.

15psi on pump vs 15psi on 100 octane you should notice very little difference if tuned properly.
When I put in the 100 before the car was stock with a LBE. It wasn't a super huge difference (aside from smoothness), but it was definitely more than I was expecting.

Also, for the record, I'll just point out that Texaco is owned by Chevron, so its probably the same quality stuff. I'll check with my dad about that though... (chevron exec)
Old 03-24-2007, 10:43 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Default STP

I just use STP Octane Booster, it's cheap and it has jet fuel in it and I do see a difference when I mix it with 5 gallons of gas...

http://www.stp.com/fuel_oct_boost.html
Old 03-24-2007, 03:56 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LFA951
I just use STP Octane Booster, it's cheap and it has jet fuel in it and I do see a difference when I mix it with 5 gallons of gas...

http://www.stp.com/fuel_oct_boost.html
a couple of things. One is that it isn't really boosting your octane. The second is that jet fuel is little more than a kerosene type distillate. The third is that there isn't enough in that bottle to change your octane rating by any more than .1. The last thing is that it is mostly cleaners and detergents. If you use quality gas, like the Chevron gas that you use, then you aren't getting anything out of it.
You butt dyno is lieing to you. It takes a significantly greater amount of octane boosting additive/gal. to raise octane ratings. You already run 93 octane. If you really want to run higher octane find a Sunoco down there that sells 100 octane.
The STP stuff is one of the snake oil products that I referred too earlier. (unlike Torco) but it's your money...
Old 03-24-2007, 04:12 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

?????

Ahh, he deleted the "get a life" comment.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm not sure what any of that was about. I wasn't attempting to be ugly or crass to anyone.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
lejams
Pro

As ehall said, do a search it's been discussed multiple times. Off the shelf boosters are completely ineffective as they add 0.1 of a point increase in octane. They are a effective $ play on our ignorance though - a money making scheme. It's misleading on the bottle when they say it adds points of octane. OTH, Racing fuel or xylene, toluene will truly boost your octane but will not increase performance alone. Higher octane simply let's you increase your engines output more safely by allowing you to increase fuel, timing, boost. Notice a I said more safely, not safely.

"101 Octane gas is very dry and it might melt a piston"
That's a new one...
Old 03-24-2007, 05:29 PM
lejams
Pro

btw, did I say that I've been scammed by this crap. yes I have :-(
Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
a couple of things. One is that it isn't really boosting your octane. The second is that jet fuel is little more than a kerosene type distillate. The third is that there isn't enough in that bottle to change your octane rating by any more than .1. The last thing is that it is mostly cleaners and detergents. If you use quality gas, like the Chevron gas that you use, then you aren't getting anything out of it.
You butt dyno is lieing to you. It takes a significantly greater amount of octane boosting additive/gal. to raise octane ratings. You already run 93 octane. If you really want to run higher octane find a Sunoco down there that sells 100 octane.
The STP stuff is one of the snake oil products that I referred too earlier. (unlike Torco) but it's your money...
Keep in mind, I do not use it on a full tank of gas, instead I use it on 4 or 5 gallons, and if it doesn't work then why does the car feel different? Is it psychological? As far as I know, there are no Sunoco's in South Florida which have the 100 Octane gas...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
As far as I know, there are no Sunoco's in South Florida which have the 100 Octane gas...
There is a VP station in ft. Lauderdale though... they sell many grades, none of it under 100 octane...

Quick Reply: Best 93 Octane fuel for our cars?