Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Product - 951MAX Booster

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russel, I was thinking about a high-flow cat after nearly 20 years on the oem. Is that going to be OK with the stock chip you have produced?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boston951
Russel, I was thinking about a high-flow cat after nearly 20 years on the oem. Is that going to be OK with the stock chip you have produced?
Yes, in fact it'll run better with the old cat replaced. Even if it were with another factory cat. But you can get a high flow cat for less money now days. There's really nothing with this chip that should ever cause a head gasket concern, especially in a well maintained car. The dyno chart Van posted shows you the wide open throttle map, which doesn't even have that much done to it above stock, the major difference is in the part throttle maps giving you better low end torque and overall better response and performance. But I also designed in engine longegity, the mappings are well below any dangerous limits.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the help Russell. This sounds like what I have been waiting for. I just ordered the chip. I will let you know how it feels and post results when I can find time for a dyno run.

We just had a nor'easter blow through. Boy am I looking forward to the nice weather arriving so I can get my 951 on the road.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by boston951
Thanks for all the help Russell. This sounds like what I have been waiting for. I just ordered the chip. I will let you know how it feels and post results when I can find time for a dyno run.

We just had a nor'easter blow through. Boy am I looking forward to the nice weather arriving so I can get my 951 on the road.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I wanted to give everyone an update on my chip -- I had the car at Lime Rock on Saturday for a DE, and it performed beautifully! I definitely noticed the horsepower gain from Russell's chip. It didn't miss a beat all day long (I ran 6 sessions).

I wish I could say more about the midrange performance of the chip, but, on the track, I really just keep the RPMs between 4000 and 6500. On my dyno chart we were seeing a 12 HP gain at the high end -- that gain may be even greater in the midrange, but I wasn't at those RPMs long enough to tell...

Thanks for everything, Russell. I think your products are great and whole-heartedly recommend them!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

P.s. I also had the car properly corner ballanced for the first time... What a difference that made, too! Another thing I recommend for everyone.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Good to hear Van, I was wondering about you. A couple of my buddies went to Limerock, beautiful day for it!

One car left here Saturday, another will be on its way here this week or next and I'll get start on its suspension, I'll be pulling your ear a bit on that.

Russell
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading this thread I ordered the 951MAX Booster chip for the stock configuration but had to deal with a myriad of idle-related issues before installing the chip and being able to actually go for a test drive.

I'm pleased to report that so far the chip has exceeded my expectations. In short, the car feels like it now has a much broader powerband than with the factory chip and I no longer have to hold the accelerator pedal all the way down for the boost to kick in. It comes on sooner, and the acceleration feels stronger.

Russell, you really have a nice product and I'm glad I was able to finally try it out on my 951.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

I used the ignition map from these booster chips on my car and it really brought things to life. I dataloged a 1/4 mile run with it and the results are pretty impressive in my opinion. The boost was 10psi (NEVER exeeded 11 at any point). I had the AFR dialed in the mid to high 11s. On 91 octane with a 2000rpm launch it pulled an easy 14.8 at 97mph. The most impressive part for me was the top-end power; it just keeps pulling harder until almost 6000 and theres still a decent amount of power right up to the rev limiter. For 150 bucks I really don't see how you can go wrong with these things!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Why only 10 psi?

Russell, FWIW I plan to buy a Booster chip once I get my preexisting low-boost problem sorted out...haven't even been able to install my LBE...
Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Why only 10 psi?

Russell, FWIW I plan to buy a Booster chip once I get my preexisting low-boost problem sorted out...haven't even been able to install my LBE...
RPHARRIS will probably answer this at some point, but I think he is sticking to stock boost levels as that is what the timing map I gave him is geared toward. Even though he hasn't seen the fuel map, he has it pretty close judging by his AFR, as 11.5-11.8 is the range I shoot for throughout the boost curve. Just before boost it can go as high as 12.2, it'll help spool, but once boost is coming, never over 12.0:1 in my maps. Well, with the exception of cases where an old/weak wastegate is in place and PSI drops back 10 6-8, then if it hits 12.2 or so we're fine.

Glad you got your issues sorted out. That's the smart way to do it. Sometimes people know they have an issue and try to change chips to see if it 'fixes' it. Seldom will a chip change fix anything if the car isn't running right. I'm glad you chose this route.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: New Product - 951MAX Booster