944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Product - 951MAX Booster

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007 | 04:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

And, Luis, I'm the proof! I took my car to the dyno yesterday and got those numbers.

I already had the computer out and sitting on the floor, so it only took a few minutes to swap chips.

The two runs were back to back -- less than 10 minutes apart. Stock injectors, stock FPR, stock cycling valve, stock KLR chip, stock wastegate (with an 1/8" shim on the spring), stock air flow meter (K&N filter), open exhaust (no cat/no muffler).

Russell has a fine product here. I only lament that the dyno shop didn't let me do a full RPM run.
Old 04-12-2007 | 04:32 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

And Van is not just saying that because he's a local guy nor have I given him any enticement to speak highly of my products.

Pssssst, Van, did you get the briefcase?
Old 04-12-2007 | 05:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
Pssssst, Van, did you get the briefcase?
Old 04-13-2007 | 09:19 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am interested in this concept. My 88 Turbo is basically stock from the factory with very low miles. It is my understanding that the 88 Turbo mapping is slightly different than early 86-87 and the later 88 Turbo S and 89 Turbo. Do you have any numbers on the 88 Turbo sans S? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2007 | 03:53 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by boston951
I am interested in this concept. My 88 Turbo is basically stock from the factory with very low miles. It is my understanding that the 88 Turbo mapping is slightly different than early 86-87 and the later 88 Turbo S and 89 Turbo. Do you have any numbers on the 88 Turbo sans S? Thanks in advance.
Actually the only difference in the 88 from the 86-87 is the computer uses a 28 pin chip and not a 24 pin chip. But here's the thing with 28 pin chips, the computer only sees the top half of it. So the code in the upper 4k of the chip is the same as in a 86-87. Same motor, same turbo/injectors, etc. The dyno above was done on a turbo S which has a bigger turbo and slightly different code. So the chip I make for the 88 non-S is the same as the 86-87 copied to a 28 pin 8k chip. I don't have any numbers on any 86-87 but you would experience a similar performance increase of 10-12HP and improved overall performance and driveability.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:31 AM
944Willie
Instructor

Default chip performance

Am I understanding this correctly. Changing to your chips produced a total 12 HP gain. Is this because it will not increase boost? It accomplishes this by improving the AF ratio and the ign curves?
What would I need for a stock newly rebuilt engine, stock wastegate for 275-300 HP. I would like keep the boost at or under 15.
Am I just dreaming.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:38 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Willie, you are dreaming on a k26-6. The only people to make over 275 at the wheels with that turbo are on optimistic dynos.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:44 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by 944Willie
Am I understanding this correctly. Changing to your chips produced a total 12 HP gain. Is this because it will not increase boost? It accomplishes this by improving the AF ratio and the ign curves?
What would I need for a stock newly rebuilt engine, stock wastegate for 275-300 HP. I would like keep the boost at or under 15.
Am I just dreaming.
This chip is for a completely stock car with no form of external boost manipulation. Meaning it runs stock boost of 11-12psi. The 951MAX DME I Booster chip is the subject of this thread and the dyno above. It achieves the power through optimised fuel/timing as you suggest, no boost control other than the stock cycling valve, and retains stock overboost protection.

To run 15psi you need chips mapped for that, like my 951MAX DME III chips. 275-300RWHP at 15psi isn't dreaming. If you look at this thread on my support forum:
http://forums.maxhpkit.com/viewtopic.php?t=24
You will see a completely stock TurboS with ailing turbo and wastegate make 275HP and 304Lbs TQ at 15psi. Further down you'll see another run by that same car with a good dual port wastegate, 4" exhaust, same chip made 305HP and 345Lbs TQ at 16psi.

But the very least you need to run 15psi of boost is a boost controller, 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator, and a shimmed or upgraded wastegate to hold the boost with my 951MAX DME III chip.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:57 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
Willie, you are dreaming on a k26-6. The only people to make over 275 at the wheels with that turbo are on optimistic dynos.
Hey Mark,

Didn't see this post. My reply above was in reference to a Turbo S with a K26/8. If you have a non-S 26/6 then yes, 275 at the wheels would be a stretch. Not going to happen at 15psi. You might hit it at 20psi, but I doubt it becaue the 26/6 just runs out of steam and when you push it past that you just don't gain anything.

I ran my 26/6 at 24psi boost on track. Not something I would advise anyone else to do, I didn't care if I blew up my car. In fact, I hit 30psi a couple times just to see if it would blow up, it didn't. It broke the tires loose shifting from 4th to 5th. Felt like a lot of HP, also made a lot of noise. The car didn't like this one bit. The head gasket was screaming for its life. But even at 24psi with a strong wastegate it dropped to about 16psi by 6000 RPM just because the turbo is too small to sustain a high boost level. A cheap upgrade would be to go to a used/rebuilt 26/8 if you have a limited budget.

But here's something else to consider, and I believe others may agree. If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing a turbo, go ahead and get a bigger turbo rated at the HP you want, do all practical maintenance to get the engine in top notch condition, and then get chips mapped to the configuration where you can make 300+HP at a modest boost level. This will preserve the life of your engine exponentially. Running high boost on a little turbo gives you little bursts of power, which is what I wanted on the track. But I also knew full well the risk I was taking of running such boost levels on a 26/6, and I do not advise others to do so. That's one thing that threw people a little bit about my ads when my chips first came to market, I said you COULD run up to 25psi, I never said it was a good idea to do so.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-14-2007 | 07:58 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Non-S Dyno Numbers

Has anybody with a basically stock Non-S car tried this chip set yet? Any dyno numbers to post? I would like to see some actual numbers.
Old 04-14-2007 | 03:21 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by boston951
Has anybody with a basically stock Non-S car tried this chip set yet? Any dyno numbers to post? I would like to see some actual numbers.
No non-S guys have the booster chip yet. Even though there are lots of the regular 951MAX chips in non-S cars, but I've yet to recieve any dyno numbers on those either. As with all my chips, if you aren't satisfied for any reason, you have 30 days to return it for a full refund minus shipping. Or you can wait until somone does a dyno and posts a chart. I'm sure someone will at some point. As I've stated previously, dyno numbers don't really mean much to me, all they show you is wide open throttle performance, and my chips address all performance issues across the board. I spend more time working on the part throttle maps to make the car smoother, more responsive, and a broader power band across all ranges. But before you wait too long, keep in mind the promotion price of 149.00 is only good through 4/20, after that the price is 199.00.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:23 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russell,

Great info on your new product. I am certainly intruiged by your single chip concept for the stock 951. I just want to be clear about the application and results as compared to the two chip version. My situation is that I currently possess a brand new set of Weltmeister chips for the 88 Turbo non-S. However, they have never been installed due to potential engine damage concerns.

This creates the two chips vs. the one chip you are producing question. I do not believe that the Weltmeister chips are sold at this time, but I have the set in hand. The total HP with the Weltmeister ships is approximately 225. This is about +8 HP from stock numbers. The single chip you are producing is going to better the HP gains of 10-12 (we think sans any dyno results). More importantly, the single chip is safer for the engine at the same time?

Thanks for all the info and help. Any additional data and clarification is appreciated.
Old 04-17-2007 | 03:33 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

The regular 951MAX DME III chips do not need the KLR chip I send with them, in fact I'm going to stop shipping a KLR with it because the stock KLR chip works just fine. If your other aftermarket chips are designed for higher boost levels and you don't incorporate higher boost the car will always run rich and that will rob you of power. They may or not run rich enough to cause damage over time, depends on the chip and the setup.

The welts I had were the first chips I tried when I had my first 951, I hadn't started doing my own mappings at that point so I've never seen inside one and don't know what the welts do or don't do. I also had Autothority back then as well, I tried about everything that was available at that time. Later I learned through doing some research that autothority actually changes the maps in the KLR chip a bit, and this has caused some people a few issues with false knock detection, pulling timing and causing hiccups.

All of the fuel/ignition maps are in the DME chip, where my stage I differs from the stage III is that it is simply mapped for stock fuel pressure, stock boost, stock injectors, stock turbo, etc. The stage III is mapped for the specific modifications the customer chooses, each one being semi-custom, some being completely custom. Also the DME I keeps the factory overboost protection at near stock levels, rev limiter is raised slightly, but any rev limit value can be requested at no additional charge. The DME III does not use the overboost protection.

I'm with you, I'd like to see dyno numbers on the K26/6 version of the booster (DME I) chip too. I'm sure somebody will dyno one at some point. Now I don't know how the welts/autothority/other chip vendors derive their claimed HP numbers, but some actually refer to HP at the crank, not at the wheels. All my dynos state Rear Wheel HP (RWHP) which is less than crank HP because of drivetrain loss. I remember a thread a while back where PorscheDoc did some dynos of various chips (on NA cars I believe) where the chip claimed XHP and the actual RWHP gain was more like 2-3HP. I see no gain to anyone in exaggerating numbers, which is why I don't like to make HP claims of any kind. When people dyno my chips and send me the dyno sheets I post them on my support forum, and people tend to post them here as well. Again, I gurantee the best overall performance, not peak HP.

Thanks again for your interest, I'm always happy to provide as much info as I can.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-17-2007 | 04:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Boston951, I am very picky about my car, and am very serious about treating it right. It sounds like you are, too. I have, in the past, run Weltmeister chips (which raise boost levels), and eventually blew a head gasket.

I'm thrilled that Russell's chip keeps the stock boost (and overboost protection), and am equally thrilled by the HP and torque gain showed by the dyno -- all with premium pump gas. I will be at the track this weekend, where I'll get to really "feel" the usability of the new chip. I'll post my full impressions afterwards.

On a personal note, I have found Russell honest, knowledgable and excellent to work with. Customer satisfaction seems important to him, and he'll do what he can to make you happy.
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:16 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Van, Thanks for the info assist. I do not want to blow a head gasket for sure. Let us all know how it goes at the track.

Quick Reply: New Product - 951MAX Booster