Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Product - 951MAX Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good Russell. A chip is probably all I will ever do to my 951 and the APE chips I have in there now make me a little nervous because i keep hearing that they run rich in midrange. I don't want that to wash my cylinder walls.
Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rberry951
At some point I would like to do a dyno with it just to see what the performance gains are. And I do not quote 'estimated' performance gains on anything because I simply do not want to mislead anyone as every car is different and a car in a particular state of overall health will do better/worse than another. So unless I have a chart someone has given me with numbers on it, I don't spew numbers. This chip will cause the car to run a slightly higher than stock boost level in spots, which is why I have to modify the overboost protection a bit to account for this. I don't want to send people into limp home mode every time they floor it on a long track. The overall performance is what I shoot for, not the peak HP numbers anyway. People who have my chips ALWAYS tell me their car performs better all around than it ever has. Some aftermarket chips just try to achieve the highest peak HP, I don't. I achieve highest overall performance.

Regards,
Russell
So, uh, would you like a guinea pig? I'd be happy to get the chip from you for, say, free, and then take it to a dyno for testing???

I really like the sound of this chip, except for the lowered redline. How much more would it cost (if at all) for you to increase redline back up to 7k? I would like it for autox purposes, and we all know sometimes that little bit of rpm helps.

Finally, another question: how would the performance be affected if a Lindsey Boost Enhancer was installed along with the chip?

Collin
Old 03-22-2007, 04:18 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
So, uh, would you like a guinea pig? I'd be happy to get the chip from you for, say, free, and then take it to a dyno for testing???

I really like the sound of this chip, except for the lowered redline. How much more would it cost (if at all) for you to increase redline back up to 7k? I would like it for autox purposes, and we all know sometimes that little bit of rpm helps.

Finally, another question: how would the performance be affected if a Lindsey Boost Enhancer was installed along with the chip?

Collin
Since the rev limit change is just one value I can do quickly while burning the chip I don't charge extra for a rev limit change, you can have it where ever you want it between 0-10,200 in increments of 40 rpm.

I use guinea pigs for new chip development. They typically go to the dyno 2 or 3 times each testing the development chip against a stock chip, and they get a free chip out of it. This isn't a development chip so I am not in need of a dyno. The dyno charts on my website and forum are donated by customers who want to show their performance, I don't buy dyno runs. Sorry.

Using a boost controller to raise boost with this chip would be the same as raising boost with a stock chip, you would run into the overboost protection if lucky, pop a head gasket if un-lucky. This is a chip for a purely stock configuration, no modifications what so ever to boost. A test pipe won't hurt.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Using a boost controller to raise boost with this chip would be the same as raising boost with a stock chip, you would run into the overboost protection if lucky, pop a head gasket if un-lucky. This is a chip for a purely stock configuration, no modifications what so ever to boost. A test pipe won't hurt.

Regards,
Russell
I was actually referring to the Boost Enhancer: http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...1BOOSTENHANCER

While it technically raises boost at lower RPM, the max boost is still a constant, so it doesn't seem like there's any worry about overboost, correct?

So I was just wondering how the enhancer would affect the performance of your chip, given that the purpose of the chip was to raise performance everywhere in the rpm range. I really like the sound of your chip, and I really like the sound of the LBE...can't I have both???

thanks
Collin
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
I was actually referring to the Boost Enhancer: http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...1BOOSTENHANCER

While it technically raises boost at lower RPM, the max boost is still a constant, so it doesn't seem like there's any worry about overboost, correct?

So I was just wondering how the enhancer would affect the performance of your chip, given that the purpose of the chip was to raise performance everywhere in the rpm range. I really like the sound of your chip, and I really like the sound of the LBE...can't I have both???

thanks
Collin
I'm familiar with the LBE, in fact I used it on my first 951 back in 02, that's the car I did all my 951 chip development on. I liked the boost enhancer because it stayed closed and gave no signal to the weak 20 yr old wastegate until boost hit the limit I set it at. I had no problems with it at all. Having said that, other people have told me of problems with boost spikes when the used it in conjuntion with the cycling valve. I did not use the cycling valve since my chips didn't use the overboost protection, the cycling valve just became another point of potential faillure to me, I bypassed it. So I've never actually used the LBE with the cycling valve. Lindsey's website says it is meant to be used with cycling valve, and at stock boost levels that 'should' be fine. I know using the cycling valve with high boost rates causes all sorts of problems because I experienced that with an accuboost going through the cycling valve with the first chips I had which were either welts or autothority chips. Been too long, I can't remember which that was.

I'm kind of torn on this issue. From the theory side, the LBE shouldn't hurt a thing if set very low. But the boost level it 'begins' to open at can differ vastly from the maximum boost it will reach, or when it fully opens simply because it is a simple 'spring' device that can be effected by factors such as temperature in its function. I don't advise using it for that reason. Also in theory if it takes your boost too high the overboost protection should protect you, but I'm adjusting the overboost protection a bit because I know the power this chip makes is going to raise boost slightly, and the chip will be mapped for that higher boost, but I feel further 'enhancing' the boost could be dangerous. I'm going to stick to my original statement, 'not to be used with any other modification', with the exception of a test pipe.

So again, this chip is aimed at a stock vehicle, with the only change being this chip.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Russell, I can post my dyno chart of the APE Stage II chips if you'd like. Super rich running 15psi.

Otherwise, sounds like a great product!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by WesM951
Russell, I can post my dyno chart of the APE Stage II chips if you'd like. Super rich running 15psi.

Otherwise, sounds like a great product!
I think the consensus is that Autothority chips run fat. No need to see another dyno chart proving it, I've seen quite a few actually. I know my high performance DME III get a little fat on the very top of the WOT map when used with big turbos, they have to. Like George D. running them with the super 75, on the dyno he gets a little puff of black smoke up about 6200 rpm. That I can live with. But guys running my chips on the track aren't spewing a constant cloud as some cars do. The most 'insane' chip I've made is running in a race car Markus Blaszak built up in Canada driven by James McDougall. He wins a lot. The man can drive. And Markus can build. That car sometimes runs almost 30psi of boost, and I've still yet to see any dyno numbers from it. But they wanted HOT, I gave them HOT. If you ran that chip in a 'normal' 951 you might get one good glory run before your engine blew up.

My only point in all that is this, I simply do not have a single mapping that encompasses the 951. I have over 70 variations of my 951MAX chip, and that number continues to grow as people throw more obscure combinations of modifications at me. The Booster chip will be a 'one fits all' chip, for a completely stock 951. Which is why I will charge less for it.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

UPDATE:

Local fellow Van Svenson took the Booster chip to the dyno today. The dyno fellow had him use the Romar method, run through the gears shifting low and running to 6500. He's going to send me the charts tomorrow but they only show 5100-6500RPM, not much use other than it shows peak HP/TQ of the stock chip vs. the Booster chip. Completely stock Turbo S, no boost controller, nothing to change but the DME chip. Raw numbers are:

Stock chip= max at about 5,100 - RPM 252 HP/258 ft-lbs
Max chip= max at about 5,100 - RPM 263 HP/270ft-lbs

I'll post the chart tomorrow, but again, it only shows peaks, no real useful info. Oh well...

Russell
Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Hi Russell,

Have these figures been converted to flywheel numbers or were Porsche ultra conservative in their HP and TQ claims - it seems the stock figs almost exactly coincide with teh claimed flywheel HP & TQ.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I have no idea, I don't even know where he took it or what kind of dyno was used. The two lines in my post are just copied/pasted from his email to me earlier today. Tomorrow I'll have the charts and they should say SAE or other correction if any. As I always tell everyone, different dynos produce different peak results, and different cars even though same configuration/age will dyno out differently as well. I'd like to get a real 2000-6500 run to see the HP/TQ/AFR/BOOST across the board, but this particular shop just didn't do it that way. I'm pleased that just the chip change made 11HP and 12TQ, but peak numbers just don't do it for me. On the last dyno Jessie posted for the 944S chips the peak gain was just a couple of HP, but across the power curve there was as much as 15HP more in places. My goal is always to deliver the most overall power, not peak which is just a spike on the graph. But, that is all some people care about is braggin rights on peak numbers. We call them Dyno-Queens.

I'll post the charts when I get them tomorrow.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Here's the charts as promised, nice constant power, I'm pleased with these.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE:

Local fellow Van Svenson took the Booster chip to the dyno today. The dyno fellow had him use the Romar method, run through the gears shifting low and running to 6500. He's going to send me the charts tomorrow but they only show 5100-6500RPM, not much use other than it shows peak HP/TQ of the stock chip vs. the Booster chip. Completely stock Turbo S, no boost controller, nothing to change but the DME chip. Raw numbers are:

Stock chip= max at about 5,100 - RPM 252 HP/258 ft-lbs
Max chip= max at about 5,100 - RPM 263 HP/270ft-lbs

I'll post the chart tomorrow, but again, it only shows peaks, no real useful info. Oh well...

Russell
Is the fuel pressure regulator stock as well? It was my understanding that a higher rated FPR was needed when chip'ing a 951.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Is the fuel pressure regulator stock as well? It was my understanding that a higher rated FPR was needed when chip'ing a 951.
Hey Luis,

Yes, FPR is stock as well. Most aftermarket chips require a larger FPR to facilitate higher boost levels. Since these chips are designed for a car with factory boost, factory FPR is sufficient. I believe this is the only chip like this on the market, it truly gives you more power without changing anything but the DME chip. It keeps factory overboost protection and as you can see from the dyno chart I kept the AFR almost identical to stock. Everyone is used to adding several mods with their chip to gain power, always thinking that you can ONLY gain power on the turbo car by increasing boost. This chip is for the person who either cannot, or does not want to modify anything on the car but the DME chip. Again, this chip is designed for a bone stock 951.

Retail price on this chip is 199.00 USD, Rennlist promotion running through 4/21 is 149.00 USD.

Regards,
Russell
Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, let me see if I understand correctly. I can stay with my '91 stock set up, and cycling valve and change nothing but the chips? Almost sounds too good to be true. Will the CV still protect the engine well enough from overboost? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
So, let me see if I understand correctly. I can stay with my '91 stock set up, and cycling valve and change nothing but the chips? Almost sounds too good to be true. Will the CV still protect the engine well enough from overboost? Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, that is correct. Everything else stays stock. The chip incorporates factory overboost protection and the rev limiter set where ever you want. I typically raise it to 6760, but can leave it stock if you'd like. Again, you change nothing but the DME chip.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: New Product - 951MAX Booster