Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

headgasket/wp/belts project

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill... several good techniques apparant and you seem to have patience which is the most important tool. One small note though, holding the record for the most stripped water pump studs/bolts is a BAD thing...;]
No way, I would go that deep and not do the seals, we're talking $50 and less than 2 hours work. I would also take a good look at the oil pump leak, I bet it fixable in about an hour.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandiegodude
1988 944 Turbo. Problem - Did not pass smog and water in the oilfill tube when run hard.
I'm doing the same project you are doing. The problem I'm having is setting up the timing. I can't find the OT mark on the fly wheel through the little window that's hard to see anyway. I have a mark on the distributor and the top balance shaft and when I align the marks the distributor does not seem to point to the #1 cylinder. How do they time this engine without timing marks on the bell housing? Do we change the timing belt so much we neverworry about it? Even still it would be nice to have an easier way to find TDC.

Any advice? Thanks, Tony
If you align the timing mark on the cam shaft pulley with the notch on the rear cam pulley cover, the engine will be set at TDC, No. 1 cylinder. Install your flywheel lock and the crank will stay at TDC.

There is a second timing mark on the flywheel that lines up with a notch in the bottom of the bell housing, visible from below. It is an unlabelled groove, and is centred in the bell housing notch at TDC. Much easier to see.

Bruce, are those two bolts on the oil pump supposed to be missing? I mean the one you circled for the "oil pump leaking" note, and the opposite one at about 3 o'clock on the oil pump. The same two were missing on my '86 turbo. I checked, and they are the correct depth and threading to accept the same M6x45 bolt used on the lower portion of the oil pump.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe those 2 bolt holes are for holding the rear timing belt cover on.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dmitry S.
I believe those 2 bolt holes are for holding the rear timing belt cover on.
Thanks Dmitry, I guess I would have figured it out when I went to re-instal the rear cover. Now I just feel stupid.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooops my poor graphics skills are showing again. Sorry for the confusion. But that oil leak is kinda like what Bill has in one of his early photos and I think mine could have been fixed if I had used an oil stone to smooth the two surfaces. Of course for Bill, that would mean pulling the oil pump, and probably the pan which is a whole lot more effort. Bruce
Old 03-24-2007, 05:27 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Bill... several good techniques apparant and you seem to have patience which is the most important tool. One small note though, holding the record for the most stripped water pump studs/bolts is a BAD thing...;]
No way, I would go that deep and not do the seals, we're talking $50 and less than 2 hours work. I would also take a good look at the oil pump leak, I bet it fixable in about an hour.

http://arnnworx.com/SealLeaksFront.jpg
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll get a set of seals and do that while I'm in there. I'll check again, but from what I could tell the oil around the oil filter looked like it was all build up from the power steering system. The car had the engine bay steam cleaned to check for leaks when I did the PPI only 5k mi before this teardown (yeah, I should have done a compression check, lesson learned). They probably missed all the stuff on the top of the oil pump, but the power steering pump was completely coated in oil/fluid as well.

As for holding the record for stripped studs/bolts, two things helped me do that. 1. I just guessed how tight to torque the bolts to and did 15lbs, when they are supposed to be 6lbs. 2. One of the bolts stripped out because (as I realized later) the water pump kit I had bought Paragon that came with new bolts had a bolt that was the incorrect thread pitch. The bolt actually ended up snapping when I tried to install the waterpump a first time, so when I pulled the waterpump off and took out the bolt with some pliers all the threads were gone.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
951sickness
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiousity are you using an OEM headgasket and do you have it already? The reason I ask is I have new OEM headgasket that I would offer to you for free as I sold my 951 last month.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer, but I already have a widefire gasket that I'm going to use.

Quick Reply: headgasket/wp/belts project