Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Racing Super 61 turbo with webcam 274

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 08:31 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Tms951
Wow thats a good spread. So since you are comparing them with out boost or octane listed does that mean they were all done on the same boost and octane? Or were the timing, octane, boost, and A/f different on each set up? Because if they were then is not quite fair to put all those numbers back to back as it makes each physical upgrade seem it does more than it really does. What boost and octane were run on each of those runs?

Interesting compairing these two turbos and your response. Lindsey Racings Super 61 is a 60-1 hifi compressor wheel and a T-350 turbine wheel, but they offer it with either the #8 or #10 hotside and to4b or to4e compressor housing. When you say the S3 is not smaller do you mean not smaller than the #8 or #10 hotside and the to4b or to4e? Or are you just refering to the CHRA? When you say not smaller do you mean the compressor wheel has a 61mm inducer as well or is it bigger? And does the S3 also have a tubine wheel the same size or larger than the t-350?

I have a similar set up which should help you make a choice. I have a 2.8L with a web 274 solid lifer cam, and a turbonetics 60-1 hifi. The exact specs of the turbo are to4e housing, 60-1 hifi comp. wheel, wet/ball bearing, T-350 turbine wheel, T4 .50a/r housing, lindsey racing 3" downpipe. It is the same comp wheel, comp. housing and turbine wheel as the lindsey turbo, but it has a much larger hot side housing. I make 15psi under 3000rpm and this is with the BIG T4 hot side, it also has the bigger to4e housing. My car is also not dyno tuned yet. So I would think that with a smaller hot side like the #8 the Lindsey turbo would be great on a 2.5L, it is also a great deal for a quality turbo. I also like my turbonetics turbo from Sped force racing, If I had a 2.5L I would use the same turbo but with a #10 turbine housing.
He asked what it was "ultimately capable of"
That's why I quoted him.
Old 03-14-2007 | 12:52 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

ST,
What is the compressor inducer diameter of that stage 3, and what is the compressor CFM rating?
Old 03-14-2007 | 03:31 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
ST,
What is the compressor inducer diameter of that stage 3, and what is the compressor CFM rating?

Lol, good luck getting any info on the VR turbos

Rogue
Old 03-29-2007 | 07:39 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Seat of the pants it's hard to tell because the [turbo A] has a really sharp power rise when boost comes on that gives that push in the back we are all addicted to. [turbo B] pulls more like an N/A car and didn't give me the same boost rush that [turbo A] did even though the car was accelerating harder.
I see this type of statement a lot, but it never really makes any sense to me and my understanding of velocity and acceleration.

If you feel more "boost rush" with turbo A than you do with turbo B, then turbo A is actually accelerating harder than turbo B.

Now, one turbo can accelerate more linearly than another, but that is not the same thing as accelerating "harder". Think of two curves on a graph. If both curves start at (0,0) and end at (10,10) but turbo A starts out nearly horizontal than shoots up vertically to reach point (10,10), that is what you could call very hard acceleration. If the other curve is more of a straight diagonal line, that would be linear acceleration. -- So which one is actually accelerating harder? The first one.

Now even if the more linear curve (Turbo B) goes all the way up to (10, 12) on the graph representing higher speed in the same time or distance, but still has a linear curve, the first one is still accelerating harder than the second one even though the second one reaches a higher speed. But you get the point...

*Turbo names removed since it is irrelevant to what I am trying to say and I don't want to start a vendor war.
Old 03-29-2007 | 09:32 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by danny951
Now even if the more linear curve (Turbo B) goes all the way up to (10, 12) on the graph representing higher speed in the same time or distance, but still has a linear curve, the first one is still accelerating harder than the second one even though the second one reaches a higher speed. But you get the point...
Turbo A would be accelerating harder during the time its curve was steeper than Turbo B's. However, there would also have to be times when Turbo B's acceleration was geater "harder" than that of Turbo A. And its average acceleration would also be greater.

If in the example you are talking about the absolute maximum rate of acceleration possible at any time during the run, then Turbo A wins... but only for a short time.
Old 03-30-2007 | 01:21 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Not that it matters, but I think that danny951 was trying to show that the "steepness", degree of rise, of the line is what makes it feel harder. A greater gain on the Y-axis vs. the X-axis feels stronger, unfortunately, the linear turbo will always win out in a racing situation all things being equal.
Old 03-31-2007 | 05:12 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Yup, I was just going by which turbo would "feel" harder, or push you into the seat... that seat of the pants feeling. Turbo A would give you that feeling, and possibly would even give you a higher HP/TQ number (since it is indeed pulling harder for a certain period of time), but Turbo B would give you a faster car over a longer distance, lower HP/TQ (possibly) and a great area under the TQ curve.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing Super 61 turbo with webcam 274