Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balance flywheel/pressure plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balance flywheel/pressure plate?

Well, to be honest, this hadn't occurred to me until I was reading thru old threads in the process of doing the clutch job. I've had engines balanced before when rebuilding and know how much of a difference it can make. I have a Fidenza flywheel and KEP stage I pressure plate (along with 930 disk) sitting on the shelf. So I ask the community for their opinions:

- Should I have them balanced before putting them on?
- is this something my local machine shop can do (assume they are competent, but do not specialize in anything particular)?
- if not a local machinist, any recommendations?
- would I take/send them the individual components (including disk, thowout bearing, etc.), or the assembly (reading ahead it looks like you need to 'assemble' the clutch components before putting them on)?
- Are there places I should recommend to them for drilling while balancing (or NOT to drill), or would this insult a competent machinists intelligence?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:08 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Each part should already be balanced. However, I am sending my fllywheel and clutch parts to have them balanced with each other. I was told they would come back with index marks as to assembly alignment.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you sending them to? How much time, $? Thanks RKD.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mtnman82, I would definitely get your Fidanza balanced. My Fidenza flywheel as supplied by them was 2.76 grams out of balance... or about 6 lbs effective mass unbalance at 5800 RPM. WAY too much!!!!!!!!
I had Markus Blaszak do this for me while making a custom clutch set up.
I eventually, went with a lightened OE steel flywheel + KEP1 + Feramic disc w/Cup hub.

Your pressure plate, associated bolts, and ring gear should be balanced as an assembly as well.

Any machine shop that does balancing of rotating assemblies should have no problem doing this.
Here is a pic of where my Fidanza was drilled at:
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone experience problems from NOT balancing their flywheel/pressure plate assemblies?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is being done at the machine shop that does Lindsey Racing's work. Mike said it would cost less than $100, but I think that is heavily discounted because of the rest of the 2.8L build I am doing with them.

Quick Reply: Balance flywheel/pressure plate?