Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt job

It's about time for me to do the timing belt and probably the water pump too. The question is should I have a shop do this or should I get a few fellow listers together and wrench on it myself? I have done all sorts of stuff on the car and could handle it, but how much time would this take? How much is a good price for the job?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing a shop, 900 to 1200, but that's with them buying the parts. I would do it yourself, have a cook out and brew after it's done.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Agreed.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price I got as a quote around here was I think $1100 for belts and water pump. Doing the belts isn't that hard at all assuming you have the tools to get the pulleys off (if needed). I'd recomend doing it yourself if you are able and have the time.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

First timer on a turbo will probably take you 8-10 hours with no air tools. I have done a few belt jobs before and did one on fellow member Mello's '86 951 (It was my first time working on a 951).

It took us about 9 hours to do it, including the waterpump. I can do it on a n/a in about 4-5 hours with the waterpump. The 951 has a few more things that need to come out, like the coolant crossover pipe (PITA) and the heat shield around the starter (major PITA working on your back). It was also a bit harder to work on because i could not get the radiator fans out the bottom due to the oil cooler lines..didnt feel like juggling them out through the top.

There is a learning curve for everything. I find it usually takes me double the book time for first time jobs, the 2nd time around i can usually do it a little faster.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
rocket951
Instructor

I just completed my first belt job last weekend, I started it in November....the car is not a daily driver and the weather has sucked, so I really took my time. The chore was not all that bad and I learned alot about my car in the process. I highly recommend doing this job yourself, make sure you have the needed tools before you start. I can also recommend tools from Arnnworx, I got his complete set and they were invaluable. You also have an excellent resource right here on the 'list. Go for it!

Quick Reply: Timing belt job