968 control arm mounted brake cooling scoops

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moook
Have any of you chaps got any pics of the Frozen Rotor brackets?
Just a few posts above Techno Duck stated he ordered the brackets. So when he gets them, maybe he can take some pics of them for you?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the steering rack bushing in today. I figured it was going to take an hour or so, was going to take out my a/c today also. Well, it took more like 3 hours. Mainly due to some issues getting the sway bar clamp, KLA sway bar brace and droplink holes all lined up (this is always an issue). Anyhow the instructions made this look easy, and it was relativley simple..but a pain in the neck. Have a pry bar handy! I changed the passenger side bushing with a new OEM rubber bushing.

Anyhow i honestly dont notice much of a difference yet. I have not and really cant push the car hard as the roads still have alot of half melted snow and random blocks of snow in the middle of the road waiting to rip my front valance off and put a hole in my radiator. I did do some 'tire warming' down the block (right to left quickly) and the feeling in the steering wheel is subjectively more direct. Kind of like there is less of a delay from when you actually turn the wheel to when the car changes direction. That could be in my head!

The brackets for the scoops should be in sometime this week..wont be home until friday. I will post pictures of them then. The actual scoops will probably be another week and a half.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

As promised, here are the brackets for the control arm brake cooling scoops.

Im going to install them later today, i just need to take the dust shield off. I knew i should have left it off when i did my wheel bearings two months ago. I have the top portion of the scoop also, however my struts are Koni conversions from a n/a and do not have provisions for them. Ive got some ideas about mounting them with a hose clamp and some simple brackets around the housings.

Total cost of the scoops was $57 for all 4 scoops from Sunset and $50 for the brackets. I thought the scoops were going to cost an arm and a leg (like most things from the 968) but they were only $13 each about.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have pictures of how the brackets connect to the control arm? Or can you at least explain it to me. I have some of these scoops I need to get mounted!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

It connects right ontop of the droplink stud. I choose to lay the bracket ontop of the droplink nut, then thread another nut ontop of that. I did not know how that bracket was going to like being sandwiched inbetween the washer for the rubber bushing.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed these scoops on my car and what a difference on track days. The first thing I noticed was that there is very little brake dust on the wheels on the wheels at the end of the weekend. Before the installation my wheels would be coated black with dust as I burn about 1 or 2 mm of pad away per day. These really move the air through the rotor. I originally used the bracket with the kit. It works but is very flimsy. If you bump the lower scoop getting the car off the trailer it would rub the wheel and have to be readjusted. I later installed a set of low mileage 968 arms with the mounting tabs and it is a much better setup. I have a set of the brackets if anyone is interested.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Musche, I'm interested in those brackets. PM sent.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:32 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you put the scoops on your turbo in addition to the stock cooling ducts Musche, or have you gotten rid of the brake ducts?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

As a comparison has anyone run both the ducts and later the scoops? Maybe Rob has? Can you comment if so? I have had the scoops and I'm sure they help but I bought the Lindsey dust shield replacements with a welded on 3" spigot to attach ducting to. Problem is that the vent at the front is rectangular and there's not much clearance to run ducting when the wheel is on full lock. Any ideas or experience to pass on anyone?
T.I.A.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Billthe3,
No I still have the 4 plastic pieces on, just mounted to 968 control arms instead of the factory 951 arms with the flimsy bracket. I figure Porsche engineers spent a good bit of time designing something that is simple and very effective. (Who am I to over engineer them?) I am very pleased at the efficiency of these pieces to move air through the rotor. As I mentioned before, after a track weekend my wheels would be almost black (and they are white to begin) with brake dust with the 951 metal scoops. But with the 968 pieces, the front wheels show very little dust as the scoops are blowing dust and air out of the rotor and wheel. Temps have probably dropped about 150 degrees but I only took one reading. I can verify that later. One side note though, I do get more pieces of spent rubber plastered inside the wheels as the scoops tend to direct these chunks that fly off cars that are in front of me on the track....before I pass them of course! (insert evil laugh here)
Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh wow, thats a huge temp drop. I may have to get some of these myself. Having your brake fluid boil over on you and loosing your brakes while coming down the corkscrew at laguna seca is not a fun experience...
Old 04-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still need those 968 scoops, I may have a set.

Let me know,

Jason
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

I installed these scoops on my car and what a difference on track days.
I just mounted the 968 ducts last week on my 951 S and despite the cold weather at Summit Point really felt they allowed breaking points not at, but close to GT-3 and E - 46's. I am also hoping it improves the pad life.

If you don't want to blow out a fog light, this appears a great alternative. And by the way, on the early 911 cup cars, this was suppose to be the design they used so it must have some proven validity.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I still need to fit the top portion of the scoop. The struts on my car are Koni convereted n/a struts with just about every mounting tab cut off of them from the guy i bought them from. Im on the look out for cheap late offset turbo struts. Mileage dosent matter as they will be converted also.

Something i never mentioned is i needed to trim some material off the bottom edge of the scoop. It was rubbing on the inside of the wheel when i was at full lock. Probably because the brackets space the scoops slightly farther out.

Also if your car is a daily driver like mine, i highly recommend taking them off in the winter. These things drag on the snow very easily.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

The four part factory 968 plastic scoop set is pretty darn slick. Like Musche, I have a set of them on my Turbo S. Over the course of two previous PO's (one of whom claims to be my brother), my 89 was retrofitted with a full 968 M030 suspension including the rear coil overs and the front control arms.

Although I haven't used the car yet for any track events (would like to get my lien paid at the local credit union first , I'm thinking that the two part plastic scoop system may be superior in cooling potential to aftermarket direct duct "dryer hose" air scooped in through the fog light buckets.

Here's why. If you look closely at the factory 968 system, the top scoop is designed to catch air ducted by the bat wing and factory front fascia directly into the center of the hub and brake disc. The lower control arm deflector sits well down in the accelerated undercar air flow (as various scrapes on the deflectors show) and blows directly on the outer areas of the brack disc.

The 968 system may not look as rugged or exotic as a hub mounted cooling hose, but I'll bet the total air flow on the brakes greatly exceeds a single hose and the fact that it directly cools both the center of the hub AND the outer disc contributes much to the impressive 100 degree plus cooling benefits.

Quick Reply: 968 control arm mounted brake cooling scoops