944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Optima batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:39 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Wow! Perry, how long do you store your car between starts? I remember when I first came onto these boards and read what you've gone through and how much work you've put into your car. There's no way I think you'd have a draw of any sort even though our cars are prone to that. If you have some sort of draw on your battery, for sure we all do cause that's just the way our cars are I guess.
Old 02-08-2007 | 02:49 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

I never knew these cars are prone to drains. Ill have to check that
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:11 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sometimes it sits for months on end, or when I have it in operation, it comes out on Saturday and Sunday. I use mass transit for work, so no need to run it every day. The quick disconnect gets a workout.

I know I have some parasitic drain, .2 amps with the alarm set. It's about .05 amp with the alarm off. I can kill a battery in a week leaving the alarm on. I think that is how I killed the first red top. The second was due to age, the third due to starting on a very low charge. This 4th one is about 6 months old and seems to be holding up fine.

I plan to clean all my connections again since I'll have the head off this weekend. I hope it reduces some of the draw.
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:40 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Aeronautica is right along with Stinger. Thing is car audio batteries are phoenomenal but when electrical draws come into play, they fall short. Either that or I just got four bum stingers. That's how many I went through from my stereo shop with my custom install in my Porsche. They finally shook their head, gave up and threw in an Optima.
Don't go the hard way and put one in your spare space. That's where your sub goes. Just kidding. The Optimas come with a side post option, you can still mount it straight up. It's not a big deal. It's a gel cell battery. You can mount it upside down if you like.

how do I use those side posts by the way??? Can I take the metal off the top and install them in the side. It looks like you have to buy another piece
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Perry 951
This 4th one is about 6 months old and seems to be holding up fine. I plan to clean all my connections again since I'll have the head off this weekend. I hope it reduces some of the draw.
Gee Perry you are killing me pal. I thought these red ones were awesome from several people I talked to. Now you're making me think, ugh! I know you explained each circumstance, but still, it isn't good.

Old 02-09-2007 | 04:32 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I have killed many red tops in my 911(1 per year). I switched to a yellow top and had better luck. My 944t was going through 1 per year too. Both car suffered from lack of use. Disconnects and battery tenders are the way to go.
My boat uses two blue tops and has made it to 4 years BUT they get disconnected, taking out of the boat and full charged before storing.

I think the batteries are good but you need to take care of them. But thats true of any batteries.
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:46 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

I know I have some parasitic drain, .2 amps with the alarm set. It's about .05 amp with the alarm off. I can kill a battery in a week leaving the alarm on. I think that is how I killed the first red top. The second was due to age, the third due to starting on a very low charge. This 4th one is about 6 months old and seems to be holding up fine.

I plan to clean all my connections again since I'll have the head off this weekend. I hope it reduces some of the draw.

I always had some residual current flow in mine as well, it seemed a bit much for just a clock/alarm. That always caused a small spark when connecting the battery... Its one of the satisfying things with the new wiring in the car now...no spark and no residual current. Still I throw the trickle charger on the Odyssey periodically and it only charges for less than 5 mins before it reaches full charge.
Old 02-09-2007 | 06:01 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

I've toasted 3 Optima red tops in 4 years. They don't do well when stored without a trickle charger. And yes, I disconnected them from the vehicle.

That said, I keep getting free replacements since they come with a 3 year warantee.
Same problem here.

I vowed to never buy one again! It got very annoying having to charge the battery every time I wanted to take the car for a drive, or even just move it. I replaced it with a $50 AutoZone battery, leave it hooked up, and it starts EVERY time. Even unhooking the Optima didn't help.
Old 02-09-2007 | 06:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
Same problem here. I vowed to never buy one again! It got very annoying having to charge the battery every time I wanted to take the car for a drive, or even just move it. I replaced it with a $50 AutoZone battery, leave it hooked up, and it starts EVERY time. Even unhooking the Optima didn't help.
Great another one confirming what I'm hearing now. Thanks for sharing your experiences too.

Old 02-10-2007 | 10:01 PM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perry 951, where did you purchase your red tops and how did you go about getting a free replacement? Mine seems to be dead as well...
Old 02-10-2007 | 10:10 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Advance Auto Parts. Swing up to the Marietta store next Saturday and I'll hook you up if you need a new one. Pep Boys also does the 3 year warantee. Come to think of it, with a valid reciept, I think Optima will take them back directly.
Old 02-10-2007 | 10:47 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

I have a Red Top in my 944 Turbo. It was one of the first things I did when I bought my car. I had to move the battery leads but everything fits fine. I got mine with a 3 year replacement/8 year staggered warranty. I've never had a problem with it, my old battery used to go dead when I went for a while without driving the car.

Here is a picture, I don't have the leads hooked up because the car is stored for the winter. I usually take the battery out and bring it inside.

Here is a close up of the Part Number if that can be of help to anyone.
Old 02-10-2007 | 11:44 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

not strapped down securely, just allowed to slide back and forth? or do you have some method for keeping it in place i can't see? i just picked one up today and i'm working on a good method for securing it and passing tech at the track.
Old 02-10-2007 | 11:51 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
not strapped down securely, just allowed to slide back and forth? or do you have some method for keeping it in place i can't see? i just picked one up today and i'm working on a good method for securing it and passing tech at the track.
I just use the stock hold down piece. Haven't had a problem yet, but one of my small winter projects is to fabricate something a little more secure.

Quick Reply: Optima batteries