Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for car alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Kwenak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for car alarm system

Just looking for any suggestions anyone might have as to what kind of alarm worked best for their 951, and which ones werent so good. Specifically I'm looking for one that will disable the starter when the car is locked or "armed."

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Just get a kill switch and be done with it. Kill switches do more than disable the starter, they cut juice to the DME, etc so that you couldn't push start the car either. If the car in your avatar is yours, then you have the factory alarm and it is a kill switch.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ Agreed. I use my factory alarm and it works excellent. Unless you want a fancy "beep" sound when you lock the car, the factory alarm is all you need for protection. Maaaaybe you might want an aftermarket system if you want glass-shatter detection, but that's about it...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

The other thing to consider is that you really want to tap into and play with the factory wiring harness as little as possible. These cars are getting old and the last you want is to start messing with the wiring for no benefit.

I'd even suggest that glass shatter detection isn't worthwhile. What will that prevent or do? Smash and grab thieves don't care. You'll never be close enough to the car to stop whoever set it off.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

It really depends on what kind of protection you want. The stock alarm will do the basic trick. If you arel looking for alittle more high tech. There are alarms on the market that will acually alert the transmitter if the car is broken into. This way you know when someone is messing with your car. They even have alarm systems that will hook up to certain phone carriers so your phone is acually the transmitter and if the car is broken into it will notify you thru your phone, anywhere in the US. I put more money than I should into my cars. So i dont want them to go anywhere. I am in the business so I know all the latest tech out there. There is alot of cool stuff out there. Go to Autopageusa.com or alertautomotive.com. You will find the info on the 2-way transmiitting alarm system. The age of these cars do not have any factor on running wires. The car is relativly easy to work on.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

I am considering this one: http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=3725 just as security and adding a couple kill switches.
Keyless entry is great with the LCD screen to carry around.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBrown
It really depends on what kind of protection you want. The stock alarm will do the basic trick. If you arel looking for alittle more high tech. There are alarms on the market that will acually alert the transmitter if the car is broken into. This way you know when someone is messing with your car. They even have alarm systems that will hook up to certain phone carriers so your phone is acually the transmitter and if the car is broken into it will notify you thru your phone, anywhere in the US. I put more money than I should into my cars. So i dont want them to go anywhere. I am in the business so I know all the latest tech out there. There is alot of cool stuff out there. Go to Autopageusa.com or alertautomotive.com. You will find the info on the 2-way transmiitting alarm system. The age of these cars do not have any factor on running wires. The car is relativly easy to work on.
Ok. So what will you do when you know your car is being broken into? Smash and grabber is long gone by the time you can do anything about it. Someone who's taking the car will have that thing disabled quicker than you can imagine.

I don't mean to be so negative but what does any of that do to prevent all that money you've put into the car from going anywhere? I just hate to see people wasting all this money on alarms when a simple kill switch is about as effective as it'll ever get.

I've seen pain sirens, two ways, lo-jack, back up batteries, decoy wiring, decoy alarm brains, etc. None of it stops the hardcore thieves, and the simple thieves are stopped just as easily with a kill-switch. Nothing stops a smash and grab.

Yes, age of the car won't impact running wires. You can run wires in anything. But tapping into the wiring harness to make an effective kill switch? I've worked on enough old german cars to know that one should leave wiring alone if possible.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

ninefiveone. I understand your point but in many ways you are wrong. First by the time they disable the alarm I am already alerted that my car is beening entered. Second I have been doing this for a living for 25yrs. I have worked on all kinds of cars and still do from 65 vintage mustangs to 07 997 C4s that is in my shop right now. These are deteraines. I have 70,000 invested in a 83 911 turbo. Someone tried to get in and the alarm went off and buy the time my lights went on he was gone. Second if you park your car somewhere and it goes off and you are not in the location you can call the police and hopefullyl thely will get there before they are able to get the car. The alarm is only as good as the install. The ones i put in the exspense cars I hide the unit and i put a batery back up in so if you cut the power it will still work. IF you are really worried put a tracking system in. You can see me installing alarms and gps systems on a show called . It takes a theif. It shows at 6pm on the discovery channel. I did 10 out of 40 shows for them. I work on the cars, boats, motorhomes. etc. We make it alittle harder to take the vehicles.
John

Quick Reply: Looking for car alarm system