UH OH...Possible HG issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UH OH...Possible HG issue

Ok, posted wrong title and do not know how to edit title on the other thread.

Ok, in the last couple of days, on start up I have noticed a coolant smell and the exhaust seems to be full of moisture/noticable amount of exhaust and NO leaks!! I.e. making me think it is leaking into the motor.

A. It has been fairly cold last few days.

B. After I drive it for a bit and come back home and let idle, exhaust is fine.

C. Coolant levels seem to be steady, although, I am tracking it now. And did not see any foaming.

D. Coolant smell goes away after 1-2 mins.

Is there any other cause to these symptoms??

Cuz the first thing in my mind when I smell coolant but no visable leaks is HG.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are the exact symptoms my '89 had when the head gasket died of old age. The sweet smell of coolant in the exhaust is pretty conclusive. In my case, the gasket corroded between one of the water jacket passages and #4 cylinder. It wasn't bad enough to cause major problems (yet), but on shutdown the pressure in the cooling system forced a bit of coolant into #4. I was able to confirm this by removing the spark plugs before start-up and "dipping" the cylinders with a small wooden dowel. The dowel came out of #4 with coolant on the end of it.

Its not that big of a job to change the head gasket. All the "while you are in there" stuff started to add up in my case, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Crap!!!

Well, the HG was changed with the top end rebuild about 2 years ago.

Yea, the car dirves fine as I am thinking like you said, just a small amount gets in under pressure and on start up it burns off.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

How long were you able to go before taking care of it???
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

I pulled mine off the road as soon as it got bad enough to notice. As long as the volume of coolant stays less than the combustion chamber volume (89 mL) it shouldn't do any harm. My fear was that enough coolant would leak in to hydrolock that cylinder. I am not sure that the starter motor has enough power to bend a rod but I didn't want to test it out.

Doesn't sound like yours died of old age.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

It's not unusual for condensation to burn off while the engine warms up. It may be nothing more than that? When/where do you smell coolant? Generally, that suggests an external leak somewhere -- hose, gasket, pump, etc. Do you have any other syptoms -- milkshake in the cap, running hot, air in the cooling system? How is your car tuned?

Originally Posted by toddk911
Ok, posted wrong title and do not know how to edit title on the other thread.

Ok, in the last couple of days, on start up I have noticed a coolant smell and the exhaust seems to be full of moisture/noticable amount of exhaust and NO leaks!! I.e. making me think it is leaking into the motor.

A. It has been fairly cold last few days.

B. After I drive it for a bit and come back home and let idle, exhaust is fine.

C. Coolant levels seem to be steady, although, I am tracking it now. And did not see any foaming.

D. Coolant smell goes away after 1-2 mins.

Is there any other cause to these symptoms??

Cuz the first thing in my mind when I smell coolant but no visable leaks is HG.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's not unusual for condensation to burn off while the engine warms up. It may be nothing more than that? When/where do you smell coolant? Generally, that suggests an external leak somewhere -- hose, gasket, pump, etc. Do you have any other syptoms -- milkshake in the cap, running hot, air in the cooling system? How is your car tuned?
Well, I did not see any leaks or wetness around any pipes/hoses.

The smell is most prominent on the header side of the motor.

I do not get the sweet smell in the exhaust, but not the normal "rich" smell. And just a good bit of condensation, but that could be due to running mostly water in the coolant and not much antifreeze.

No milkshake. Temps are just fine and car runs/boosts fine.

I have Russell's 951 MAXX chips for about 4-5 months and all has been well and A/f are just fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh,I smell it only about 1-2 min during start up/warm up and then it is gone. Which made me think like Waterguy said in that some coolant is getting into the chamber (small amounts) burns off on start up and then is gone.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I guess the easiest confirmation is either dip something in the chamber and see if coolant or do a compression test and see if compression drops down on any cylinders???
Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

How do you pressure check the cooling system??? What hose/line do you tap into??
Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
How do you pressure check the cooling system??? What hose/line do you tap into??
That's sounds like your best next move. Sears sells a pressure tester for about $60 (or you may be able to borrow one from a parts store). They attach to your reservoir (in place of the cap). Pump it up to 10 psi or so and find your leaks! I'm guessing you have one if you smell coolant in the engine bay.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So since I smell it in the bay you don't think headgasket???
Old 01-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Just to clarify, I smelled it at the exhaust tip when the head gasket was gone. The odour coming out of the exhaust had a definite glycol smell - think cheap German wine. My coolant was 50/50 antifreeze/water. That is what I thought you were referring to.

If you are smelling it near the headers, one possible culprit is the heater hose/valve, which will leak onto the cross-over and burn off on start-up. I would second the recomendation on cooling system pressure testing.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Todd, try a dye test to check for combustion gases mixing with your coolant, there are various types of dye tests, here is one example:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/UView...20in%20coolant
Old 01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waterguy
Just to clarify, I smelled it at the exhaust tip when the head gasket was gone. The odour coming out of the exhaust had a definite glycol smell - think cheap German wine. My coolant was 50/50 antifreeze/water. That is what I thought you were referring to.

If you are smelling it near the headers, one possible culprit is the heater hose/valve, which will leak onto the cross-over and burn off on start-up. I would second the recomendation on cooling system pressure testing.
Ok, got it.

I noticed a lot of moisture on my hand at the tail pipe, but not really the sweet smell, BUT I thought that might be because I run a mostly water mix and not much glycol.

I know I had a leak at the hose/hard line over the header and was a quick fix and hoping this might be the same, but that time I could see the leak and now I do not.

I will get the system pressurized asap.

Quick Reply: UH OH...Possible HG issue