Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone used carbon fiber body panels for serious weight redux?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude I'm going with a full tube frame front and rear section with aluminum flooring in the rear spending waaaay too much to make it as light as possible. Something tells me that I'll still be around 2300 lbs.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by guns951
Dude I'm going with a full tube frame front and rear section with aluminum flooring in the rear spending waaaay too much to make it as light as possible. Something tells me that I'll still be around 2300 lbs.
Man I think you should stop telling us all the mods your doing and just start listing what is going to remain stock on that car??lol I hope someone is taking some good documetation photos of this unique project. When's the eta Gabe?
Oh and Mike, thanks for the explanation but what's going on with the symbols in your last post?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Guns951
Race Car

ETA is September or so this year for the bodywork. I have to talk more with the shop on monday. The brake lights, front strut towers, non sunroof roof panel, A, B, C pillars will remain stock...and that's it.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

To follow up on what Mike explained, there was another owner, DMoffitt, who bought the car from Chris, and then I in turn bought it from him. DMoffitt bought it to turn into a street/track car and sold off the JRZ's and fiberglass doors, because the JRZ were way to stiff for the street and the he wanted steel doors so he could run power windows - blaspheme! This car was really too much of a racecar and while DMoffitt put a lot of money in it, I'm not sure it ever turned into the streetable car he was hoping for. So he sold it but not before selling off some more of the original goodies such as the Kokeln rear subframe assembly and the factory 968 TRS wing to Mike. I'm guessing Mike's symbols are there to represent some of my frustration at needing to "restore" this car back to what it was - I like to bust his ***** about "stealing" MY parts, as well all know that the Kokeln rear end and TRS wing are destined to be on my car. When Chris Cervelli owned this car it was one of the fasted 951 racecars in the country racing in PCA GT1R with a 500+ hp 968 TRS motor and a dialed in suspension – multiple track records, etc. I am just trying to return it to a fraction of what it was. I have tried to get Redlineman to sell me back the fiberglass doors, but no luck there, and I have no idea what happened to the JRZ's - Mike you don't have any ideas who has those do you?

Just in case you’re interested, here is the complete selling description when Chris sold it to DMoffitt:

1986 944 Turbo VIN:

All fiberglass or carbon fiber bodywork. Hood, nose, fenders, and bumper cover is Racer’s Group carbon fiber. Doors are from IFC. Rear bumper and ¼ panels are from GT Racing. The ¼ panels accommodate a 14 inch wide rear tire. The stock rear valance is place. Custom lexan rear window with authentic factory 968 TRS wing.

All bodywork fits and looks perfect. The silver paint has only a few races on it. The whole front end is covered in 3M vinyl.

The interior has all wiring, gauges, etc. No seats are included. A Momo steering wheel with quick release hub is included. The roll cage is a custom Chrome-Moly cage with gussets at key locations.

The front suspension consists of JRZ triple adjustable struts, Eibach double springs, KMR camber plates, Fabcar A-arms and 944 Turbo S hubs and spindles. The rear suspension consists of JRZ triple adjustable shocks, Eibach double springs, Kokeln rear suspension assembly, and 944 Turbo S trailing arms. The braking system consists of 993 Turbo calipers, 3.6 Turbo front discs on the front and 993 calipers and 968 M030 discs on the rear. The front brakes have a cooling kit. The master cylinder has been upgraded to improve pedal feel. The 944 Turbo ABS with reset switch is installed.

The chassis also has a fire system, dual oil coolers, an intercooler, P/S cooler, boost controller, boost gauge, oil pressure, oil temperature and some other engine related systems. The battery has been relocated to the spare tire well. The kill switch is installed where the battery normally goes.

The torque tube is in place. This car weighed in at about 2350lbs with the engine and a 968 trans. Everything on it is first rate and no shortcuts were taken in its construction.

What you will need to supply to go racing: Drivetrain, Seat, and Wheels
I have the build sheet of how it currently stands (assembly in progress) on my website.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve Bassington aka bass GT in 924board.org has heavily modified 931 (GT28RS, ITB-s, DTA EFI) that weighs just tad over 900kg (1995 lbs) and he has much of the panels of CF. If someone knows this car, it has Carrera GT bodywork and is orange colour.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Here's some pics of it:

Old 01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That Orange thing must get up and go pretty quickly!
Skip, thanks for the info. I'll check it out on the site.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 931 ^ looks slick!

Skip, a piece of the Technodyne car lives on in my car as well.....the steering wheel and QR hub.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Ah yes, Forgot Jim had a part too! Skip, I do not know where the JRZ's went, but I will try and find out.

Raceboy, that 924 is gorgeous!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Thanks Mike - not a big deal as there was nothing custom about them - would just be fun to get them back. Right now I have a set of Bilsteins I am getting revalved and modded with spherical mounts. This will tide me over until I can get something else - most likely Moton Club Sports. However, if you have any sway over Redlineman, I would love to get those doors back.

Racerboy - do you have any interior and engine bay shots. Looks like there is a roof skin which would knock off some weight, and the 924 GT flares may be lighter than the widebody rearend. Not sure what else could be done short of tube frame to drop significant weight to get under the 2k lb mark.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

You have a PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

He had a photoalbum with many pics of it but for some reason, it's down.
But here's some info about it in this thread where he tells about his ride: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.ph...ht=name#138981
Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivai
Yes, I've heard that it fogs and scratches easily. You just have to buff it frequently with special plastic cleaner.
You pretty much have to be careful with anything around it. I've got full lexan window's in my drag camaro and when we pull them out I make sure to wrap them in soft fiber cloth so they don't get scratched. I definately wouldn't recommend for use with windshield wipers
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I definately wouldn't recommend for use with windshield wipers "

ROFLMA!!! I would say not. Would be a very expensive lesson.

don't think I will ever again own car w lexan... great weight savings, everything else bad
Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes but it would be ok for the rear hatch replacement and there would be some good weight savings for this alone. I'm just finding it very hard to organise this though. Mike, or anyone else, how difficult is the actual process of taking out the glass and putting in the lexan?

Quick Reply: Anyone used carbon fiber body panels for serious weight redux?