AC troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC troubleshooting help

Hi,
I am trying to figure out why my AC is not working and wanted to do a few tests on my own to narrow down the problem before I bring it into a shop next summer.

Firstly, I noticed that when I unplugged the cap on the AC line and pushed the pin, I heard air being released. Can I assume that there are no freon leaks based on that and that there is freon in the system? Or does it always make the sound of air being released even if the system is empty?

Where should I start troubleshooting the AC system?

I know this is vague, but I have little knowledge of AC systems.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You either released freon or compressed air into the atmosphere when you pushed the valve stem.
Was the a/c blowing air, but just not cold air? Do you know what the compressor looks like and where it is located on your car? If so, with the engine running, have someone turn on the a/c while you have the hood up and looking at the compressor. The front of the compressor should start turning when they turn it on. If it doesn't, it could just be low on freon. There is a safety switch that will not allow a compressor to kick in if it is low on freon.
Please find a good Porsche mechanic and have this serviced properly. It will be worth it in the long run.
Cooter
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info...I'll check compressor as a next step.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you get it working right, it is good to run the compressor at least once a month year round to circulate the freon and oi in the a/c/ systeml. This will keep the O-rings at all the connections from drying out and help keep leaks to a minimum. This isn't hard to remember here in Texas, but it might be there in Canada.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: AC troubleshooting help