Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Late trans, crossmember etc into an early car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 PM
RennBod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late trans, crossmember etc into an early car

All this talk of big powerful turbo engines has got me thinking about building a lightweight 944 turbo 3.0 or 3.2 track only car.

I have been recently offered an early 944 (not turbo) which is fitted with 944 turbo body pannels (front bumper, wings, badge pannel etc) but everything else is early non turbo parts... The other thing about this car, is it has no sunroof, which is something I like for a track only car.

I have also been offered a late model car (with sunroof alas) which has nearly everything missing from it, apart from the transmission, trans crossmember, suspension, front crossmember etc.

I am planning on using a Motec engine management, so the electrical side of things isnt an issue.

The questions are...

1. Is it possible to fit a 944 turbo transmission into this car... In particular, will the crossmember that a 944 turbo hangs from, fit in an early car? would it be possible to drill and tap or modify the shell to accept it? would I have to use a late car fuel tank?

2. Is it possible to fit a late 944 turbo crossmember (aluminium I think) into an early car, which I think has a steel (i think) crossmember (or am I wrong?)

3. Is it possible to fit an early 944 non power steering rack onto a late crossmember?

4. Will the rear suspension beam assembly from a late car fit into an early car?

5. Is it possible to fit a late windscreen into an early car? (both donor cars have broken screens anyway)

My thinking is..... Seeing as the car will be getting a completely new block, head, exhaust, transmission and everything else... and seeing as the shocks and suspension as a whole would be getting changed to KW suspension... the interior is going to be completely stripped, and probably the whole car custom wired up.. I need not destroy a real 944 turbo to make the car I want.

6. Am I mad?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. yes - use the early, or late style mount.
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes
6. yes
Old 01-22-2007, 09:44 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Cheers special tool. nice for the confirmation, and that I am not the only one who thinks I am mad!

I also like the maestro quote in your sig. I have always been a bit of a fan of Mr HP's articles, I was most gutted when I found out he died!

Lastley.. Do you really have 543 BHP and 571 torque!?!? Thats fantastic. Do you have a site with what parts you have and some power plots?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by RennBod
Cheers special tool. nice for the confirmation, and that I am not the only one who thinks I am mad!

I also like the maestro quote in your sig. I have always been a bit of a fan of Mr HP's articles, I was most gutted when I found out he died!

Lastley.. Do you really have 543 BHP and 571 torque!?!? Thats fantastic. Do you have a site with what parts you have and some power plots?

Please don't insult my engine - that run was 543 WHEEL HP (over 600 brake), not brake.

Maestro sent me an e-mail response a couple weeks before he died about my B - nice guy.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

ST I had a dream last night that you hit 595RWHP and then called it quits.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorax
ST I had a dream last night that you hit 595RWHP and then called it quits.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHGHH

NEVER!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Rennbod,

If you need stock part from a 951 I have a couple of them lying around like crossmember, complete suspension, sways 85/2+, header, turbo, etc...

Quick Reply: Late trans, crossmember etc into an early car