Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intake design

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

reno: I trust that you mean the maximum on a 944 N/A is 2.5 inches. I know of Periperal Ported rotary engines that need larger than that.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solo i wasnt reffering to a Rotary engine but thanks for the info i didnt know that.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
tommo: If I'm not mistaken the Ferrari F1 engines are normally aspirated - not turbo. On normally aspirated engines having too big of an exhaust can lead to lower power - something to do with reversion I am told.

They are indeed, but the Renault & Brabham Alfa were not and they had tiny tubes. If somebody would like to explain the benefit of a 4" tube for driving between 3000-5500rpm my ears are open
Old 01-21-2007, 05:44 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I think we are getting of the intake subject guys. We can start another thread for that if you would like but I think its been beat to death.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:22 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I'm building one in 3 months. I will have a before and after Dyno sheet. EVERYTHING will be the same - apples to apples comparison. - 18psi. 60-1 turbo. Before and after. Only manifold and throttle body will be different. (70mm) I'll let you guys know if it made ANY power. It will be based on JG's intake manifold for the Honda's. It has clearly made more power than any of the others (On 300+ hp cars. any lower and not much or nothing at all was realized) I Had the luxury of dyno testing many cars upgrading from numerous styles of intakes and only intakes.

This is not one for sale. or the like. Just going to let you guys finally know if it's worth it or not.
If any one wants to let me borrow any aftermarket one to test, I will be happy to swap out and compare that day. (beginning of May.) Lindsey, Extrudehoned. whatever. You WILL get it back. I don't want them!

If someone wants to do this earlier. GREAT! I won't have to. But my quest for knowledge is too stong. I have to know. But it won't be until then.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Stage one.
Re-do the runners so they extend about 1.5 inches into the plenum like velocity stacks. This is similar to how the runners work on a 928 dual plenum intake. It would still have a bias towards higher rpm and flow because of the large plenum, but the lower rpm/flow performance would be increased due to the longer runners.

Stage two.
Make the plenum even larger and separate the plenum into two halves, 1,2, and 3,4. Put a connector between the two halves with a choke type valve that opens around 3400 rpm. This would give a smaller plenum at lower flows then open to a larger plenum for higher flows. Again very similar to the 928 intake. The main problem with this design would be fitting it under the hood.

Just an idea.
That would be incredibly complex for little to no reason, and in the end that 1.5" you'd add to an already well designed manifold would vastly change the harmonics in the manifold. The plenum volume has much less of an effect on overall manifold performance than the runners.

Runners provide the acceleration, the resonance, and dictate the powerband of the manifold. The plenum volume is more or less a steady state available volume to the engine. If it is undersized then typically it will provide slightly increased velocity that may benefit the low end via an inertial supercharging effect. However this will come at the cost of the top end power.

After looking at Lindsey's manifold it is somewhat near what I would construct for a 944 Turbo engine by just looking at the pictures. However because of the broad scope of usage you get in a turbo engine they seemed to have opted for a middle of the road design.

I'm not 100% sure of the head inlet diameter but that can be ported to some degree. Here's what I'd aim to use on a high output 951 motor.

46mm Non Tapered Runners
195mm Runner Length
2500cc Plenum Volume
70-80mm Throttle Body

You'd probably lose low end (sub-3000 RPM) but once the turbo started to come online around the 3500 - 4000 RPM point you'd see a positive increase in power over the Lindsey manifold. With that above setup you'd start to see marked torque loss after 7000 RPM. This is more as a result of the head beginning to choke due to airflow velocity.

On a lower powered car you'd probably want to use a 210mm or possibly longer runner to maximize the powerband you have to work with.

If you want to actually see what I am saying about the cylinder head choking you only have to look at Special Tool's car. The reason he hasn't broken the 600whp mark isn't necessarily the turbo sizing but the fact that he has a choked condition in more than one point of his intake tract. This condition will create reverberations in the local pressure which then leads to turbulence. In order to create more mass flow he is having to run quite a bit more boost pressure. He is actually overaccelerating the airflow; creating unstable velocities and their resulting inlet Mach #s. Because he has such a reduced upper volumetric efficiency he must resort to high cylinder pressure (read: boost / torque) in order to try and make the numbers he wants. This is creating another problem; head lift.

For comparison sakes a modern Japanese 4-cylinder head is capable of flows of 340 - 360 CFM on the intake side and about 250 - 270 CFM on the exhaust side. These are at 0.500" lift @ 28" H20. That is why they can make such large HP numbers on relatively less boost pressure. The mass flow is roughly the same, just they require less pressure to overcome flow losses.

I personally feel that you really need to introduce a bell mouth entrance at the top of the velocity stack otherwise you will need to overcome rather large friction losses. Lindsey doesn't have a picture of their inlet manifold so I'm not sure if they are integrating this into their design.

Some people have also created a radiused floor entry in the design. I'm not certain how they compare to each other, but I would imagine the floor entry would create some sort of negative affect because of the shorter radius taper height. I'd imagine it wouldn't allow sufficient development time in the flow.

So many people want to discredit me for not having a 944, but I assure you I enjoy learning and modding just the same as you all. I'm not trying to make this into a "x engine is better than yours thread" I am just trying to illuminate what I see is the problem in the upper power range and see if we can come to some degree of solution.

Discuss.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your first comment. To accurately and completely build the "perfect" intake for a setup, of course it will be necessary to used CAD/CFD design, elaborate calculations and tests to come up with an absolutely perfect design. That would take tons of time and money. Though, IMO, I think far too many people in our community get caught up in the mind game of over-engineering things. You can acheive probably 90%+ of the same effects of a properly "engineered" intake component simply by trial and error plus a bit of simple math and common sense. This stuff isn't rocket science and you don't have to pour cubic $$$ into your car to do this stuff.
I agree with this point as its the one I was making. Chris is dealing with companies from all over the world to get the best stuff - the intake design won't be "perfect" i'm sure but will be very close. The point being is that it will be leaps and bounds above the stock design and even better than most other 951 designs.

The plenum that Jon Milledge went with looks an aweful lot like the honda one you showed earlier, and I garuntee that this intake will be extremely more effective at delivering equal quantities of air at an increased flow rate. But simply hacking up a honda intake and doing some trial and error on a motor to me is more wasteful than doing the mathematical calculations and creating something from scratch that will work. This is the approach Chris is taking as its the best for the car and not something 'adapted' to work on my car. No shortcuts but at the same time its not costing as much as many think. Expensive? Yes...drastically and uncalled for expenditures? No. I can justify the cost in terms of drivability and new characteristics given to the motor along with the increased output.

Respectfully of course
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post Drifto. What's your take on the inlet to the plenum on the Lindsey Racing intake? From an intuitive fluids standpoint, it seems like having the intake come in directly into the center of the plenum and perpendicular to the plenum would cause friction loss issues for the #1 and #4 cylinders.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with drifto, on a couple points but, I don't want to get off the "intake" theme.

If anyone here has taking the time to flow these intakes, aftermarket, stock/moddified stock, you would know that most, if not all, out flow the 951 head.

Even big valve heads can't flow big numbers. You are limited to the ceramic ports on the exhaust side. I have increased exhaust valves and did the most I could with the valve seats/bowls etc.. and a modded/stock intake still out flows it.

I don't care if you have 1 - 70-80mm t-body or 4 ITB's you are limited by the head.

Drifto(even though you don't have a 944,lol) is right Japanese motors with 350/200+ cfm heads are far better.

At a .450 stock lift the exhaust valve flows a terrible 181cfm. There is a huge difference in just 20cfm and thats hard to get!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

How does the int/exh flow of an S or S2 head compare to the typical Japanese head?

With the flow of the 8V head being the limiting factor, do you guys think a 2.5L has reached it's limit at the +/- 500 whp/tq with whatever intake and/or modified head that is used? I'm gathering that at this power, "superior" intake design is only going to shift the delivery of power and not so much add to it.

I completely agree with Dave's perspective on cylinder head flow as I have had a chance to test stock and modified cylinder head flow numbers on a flow bench. So, if a stock or modified stock intake can outflow the most tricked out 8V cylinder head, what's the point in designing a new one? Do you guys think that the flow increase of a custom intake will justify the expense? If you're shooting for the highest numbers possible, I guess every little bit helps.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard figures og 300+ cfm for stock 16v head and 440cfm from a modified 968 head. Both figures are from intake ports. Though I can't verify that information. But, if you look at the 16v head, it's one of the best stock designs to have and so said my machinist who have extensive experience in 16v heads.

When fabricating an intake, one has to tune the runners according to intake resonance frequency. In ideal circumstances, it would be best to set them to 1st wave, but that leads to extensively long runners (length in meters not mm's) and usual practice is to use 4th wave. It has it's losses but the benefits outweigh the losses that come out of the very long runners restriction.

And bellmouth/trumpet, whatever you call it, is A MUST!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
You can get plenty of ideas from simple and common designs such as this Sr20 Intake. Hell, you could buy an intake like that off Ebay for $200-500, hack it up, modify it to fit a 951 and you'll still end up with a better than stock intake as far as increased power levels go, plus you could accomplish that under $1k pretty easily. Focus on the basics. You want more power, well that means you will be running more boost and flowing an increased volume of air. An increased volume of air means you are going to need a larger plenum, larger throttle body, larger IC pipes, larger intercooler, etc etc. You can elaborate from there by identifying potential issues and identifying solutions to those issues simply with a bit of common sense and a basic understanding of physics and/or fluid dynamics. For example, you need a larger plenum for your increased power level and that will result in decreased airflow velocity. To combat this, you can introduce a shallow angle taper to increase airflow velocity (much like the SR intake from the link above). It seems to me like many people around here are simply afraid to try some things like this out. You don't have to be an engineer to build a better part like this.
Yes , maybe , but you could also go backwards with this change if not executed correctly .. as your 1 st assumption is that there is something amiss with the stock intake ..it is better than you think ..
Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommo951
Sorry I disagree on this one. It is a fallacy to think that a bigger exhaust is the solution to the problem. I have posted this subject on here a few times and it never ceases to annoy a few people with 4" straight throught systems.
The example I always quote is the Renault 1.5 litre Turbo formula 1 cars of the 1980's. They had 2" exhaust Straight through and produced 1000bhp
In fact if you look at a modern F1 Ferrari producing over 700bhp the exhaust is less than 2.5"
I have seen Audi Quattro Turbo's that have lost a considerable amount of low end power by fitting 3"+ Exhausts. By the time the power has come in they could have been long gone.
For racing and track where your power is high in the rev range a larger exhaust is a worthwhile conversion. I still believe from experience that 2.5 is ideal for the front pipe graduating to 3" at tail pipe. I always get slammed on this one., usually from peoplke who have spent money on a 3"+ system.
When I convert my car to track racing I will go 3" from the turbo back but for now I seriously believe that what I have is optimum for road.

Waiting for the flames!!!
Ok, but the F1 renault engine had 2 , 2inch tail pipes.. , most if not all turbo cars with a single exit will benifit from a 3 inch pipe., IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT LEVEL OF HP. 530 BHP FROM A STOCK 951 intake is doable , it has been done , need's a 3 inch exhaust min. , a larger exhaust on a turbo engine wil not cost T/q , this is controlled by the turbo exhaust housing , too big a rear housing will cost you T/q , as well as too small will kill your HP. It is all about Horses for courses'. where would you like to go and what do you want to do .
Old 01-22-2007, 03:03 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I have to agree with drifto, on a couple points but, I don't want to get off the "intake" theme.

If anyone here has taking the time to flow these intakes, aftermarket, stock/moddified stock, you would know that most, if not all, out flow the 951 head.

Even big valve heads can't flow big numbers. You are limited to the ceramic ports on the exhaust side. I have increased exhaust valves and did the most I could with the valve seats/bowls etc.. and a modded/stock intake still out flows it.

I don't care if you have 1 - 70-80mm t-body or 4 ITB's you are limited by the head.

Drifto(even though you don't have a 944,lol) is right Japanese motors with 350/200+ cfm heads are far better.

At a .450 stock lift the exhaust valve flows a terrible 181cfm. There is a huge difference in just 20cfm and thats hard to get!
Dave could you give us the total info on the flow numbers , 181 flow rate at what inchs of merc. this way we can compare..

BMW and Honda heads , flow better than any other stock head tested , 300 Plus cfm from a stock 968 16 v head is hard to believe , 260-270 is more likely. the honda and BMWs' give the most specific output /litre that i have seen from Factory Street n/a/ motors . When built . 160 bhp /Liter is possible with the Honda 4 cylinder engines in road race trim , a BMW M engine is slightly behind.
In stock trim at there best power outputs the BMW M 3 L engine is a good 50 bhp stronger than the 968 . it does not flow 300 cfm in stock form...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Dave could you give us the total info on the flow numbers , 181 flow rate at what inchs of merc. this way we can compare..

BMW and Honda heads , flow better than any other stock head tested , 300 Plus cfm from a stock 968 16 v head is hard to believe , 260-270 is more likely.
In stock trim at there best power outputs the BMW M 3 L engine is a good 50 bhp stronger than the 968 . it does not flow 300 cfm in stock form...
Sure, Test Pressure @ 28”, Barometric Pressure 29.89 steady, Air Temp 60.00F, Air Density 0.0762

Port Velocity measured at Port Center at Valve Stem Centerline below Guide Boss.

And YES! 300+cfm intake side is true on a 968 head.

Quick Reply: Intake design