Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1 month update on my car.. pics + concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I think the problem is you can't keep your foot out of it and this is killing your gas milage. Not un common for a new toy. As far the as the back fire it is a new chip just installed shorty before I sold you the car it is the 951 Max chip call Dave at LR and he might have an answer for you. Remember it does not have the cat on it and the back fire is un burned gas entering the exhaust.
Haha, I am indeed running a heavy foot. Do you remember the 02 sensor being changed? I will order a bosch replacement anyways.

2&3) I only ran the air a few times so the fan switch problem is new to me. Not sure about the coldness for me it was all about AC-DC and the windows down.
It is out
Thank you for the link beab951

4) Stock shifter it was never changed and not sure what you mean by the play I never had trouble with it and if I had I think you know by the condition of the car I would have had it fixed.
I need to play with someones elses 951 to verify if this is a problem. I am comparing going into reverse and 1st gear.

8) WHen you start the car and it is idleing it bounces back and forth this is normal and did this from when new. When it is cold it will stay more to the rich side to warm it up You will notice when you stomp on it, it goes and stays in the rich section and this is what you want dumping more fuel in to the system. When it is just ideling it will go into the section between rich and lean and settle down and stay there.
Tested and confirmed... thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 AM
bigred1001
Pro

For the a/c question. R-134 is not as efficient as R-12 and will never blow as cold. You may still have a system leak somewhere, however. I had my system rebuilt this year and paid extra to have it still run on r-12 ans it blows ice cold. I sell refrigerators and people always complain that their refrigerators run alot more than their old ones and it's partially due to the less efficient refrigerant.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beab951
It can be done. There are a couple of thermal contact that tend to oxidize. Just do this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=salt
Thanks for that link! I went ahead and sanded all the copper with 120 grit and then used sodering iron on ALL the contacts. Fan speeds work again.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Acetylene
Pro

It is true that r12 cools much better than r134, but you may have a leak. My system has been converted to r134 and it is very cold - even in Central Florida where we experience low 80's in January and miserable heat/humidity in summer.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

I never changed the O 2, but reading my manual for my 928 last night it says every 60K on the milage

Cliff 87 S 4
Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM
eospeed
Racer

134a is for sure not as good as R-12 Im not gonna switch.It just suck to pay 13 bucks a can for the R12
Old 01-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=beab951]
Originally Posted by Ballistic
Thanks for that link! I went ahead and sanded all the copper with 120 grit and then used sodering iron on ALL the contacts. Fan speeds work again.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

the ac is never good at idle, it even says this in the owner's manual. My car is converted and does pretty well after the system has "warmed" up. Everyone is right that 134a is not as good as r-12, even more so when placed into a r-12 system. Just make sure it is charged well and I have learned if you keep it charged and vacum the system every two years and refill it will work much better. P.S nice car, looks great.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amschnellsten
the ac is never good at idle, it even says this in the owner's manual. My car is converted and does pretty well after the system has "warmed" up. Everyone is right that 134a is not as good as r-12, even more so when placed into a r-12 system. Just make sure it is charged well and I have learned if you keep it charged and vacum the system every two years and refill it will work much better. P.S nice car, looks great.
Problem solved. I went for a quick drive and used the A/C... it's freezing!!! The only time I used it was during idle.
(thanks cliff )

Thank you for the Alpine unit also Cliff, I hooked up my ipod to it. Considering the condition and recent clutch replacement, i'm going to call the reverse issue not an issue. If I forcefully place the stick into reverse, it will go without a problem. If I do it granny style, it will give me problems.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

Still glad to hear your enjoying all the money I spent and doing it right. I'll get you pictures of the S 4 when the weather get's nice, now we got snow.

Cliff 87 S4

Quick Reply: 1 month update on my car.. pics + concerns.