Engine builder in southeast *** Now project thread with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivai
I had asked John "I'm doing a head gasket replacement, and while I've got the head off I want to do a valve job.. do you know of any local machine shops that you'd recommend?" -- his response was "Sorry, no idea on who does good machine work." -Jeff
Humm, sorry to hear that one if that is indeed the case. That said, I would bump the advice back up to my post on #10. He should look into a few people to ship it too. Anyway that's my $.02 cents.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Well I havent made a decision but here's what Im thinking at the moment.

Im going to send the block to chris to get the sleeves installed and bored to 2.7 for use with the JE pistons, and possibly send the head out to lindsey racing for the stage II head, and then put everything together myself.

Ill also be ordering a 3" exhaust from lindsey for use with the super 61 turbo with the p trim and 10cm hotside..and stage 2 maf.

Maybe - just maybe - I can be the youngest rl'er to break 400rwhp!

I dont want to get to ahead of myself though, as I don't even have the engine pulled at this point.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of going down that route.. until I realized that it'd cost me about $7k before I factored in bigger turbo/exhaust/maf.

btw how old are you? Maybe we should make a contest of it
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Thats why god invented '66 70,000 mile stangs, to fund Porsche projects, duh!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
Thats why god invented '66 70,000 mile stangs, to fund Porsche projects, duh!
Bing! Well actualy I just sold the apple stock me and my grandfather bought 5 years ago and thats covering this... The stang is for college!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I was thinking of going down that route.. until I realized that it'd cost me about $7k before I factored in bigger turbo/exhaust/maf.

Im 17 for another 2 weeks.. and you should put a pic of your car in your avatar its sweet!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Haha, you've got me beat by 2.5 years. Oh well
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. I don't see any reason to do the MID sleeves if you are on a budget, much cheaper ways to go. You never said you were on a budget, I realize this, but I do assume you are.
pozican
Racer

Like I need any more motivation to keep pouring my paychecks into this car
Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
5speed300
Racer

I'm 19, I think I might join you in this little contest muahaha. ivai, I think I'm going to pull the head and do a headgasket in a few months. I dont want to pay someone to do it, is it really a difficult job? Ive removed/installed my headers and a differential, thats about the extent of my mechanical experience, do you think I could pull it off?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Probably... I didn't even pull my headers before removing the head.. The hardest part is tensioning the timing belt... Nothing in particular about the job is "hard", but like many things on these cars, there are many steps involved in pulling the head and putting it back on (clarks garage, zip-lock baggies and permanent marker for labeling are your friends here). Do you have a tensioner to do it? Many people say they get by without using a tensioning tool.. Do a search on this topic and choose your path.. I'd get the tool. Rennbay sells a kit for $185 that includes what you need for the timing belt (tensioner, flat wrench).

-Jeff

Originally Posted by 5speed300
I'm 19, I think I might join you in this little contest muahaha. ivai, I think I'm going to pull the head and do a headgasket in a few months. I dont want to pay someone to do it, is it really a difficult job? Ive removed/installed my headers and a differential, thats about the extent of my mechanical experience, do you think I could pull it off?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you need to get your engine sleeved, Chris White is your man.
I no longer get involved in engine projects, actually I have a collection of complete dissassembled engines (2.5 & 3.0) that will be going on eBay soon.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:33 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lorax
Well I haven't made a decision but here's what Im thinking at the moment. Im going to send the block to chris to get the sleeves installed and bored to 2.7 for use with the JE pistons, and possibly send the head out to lindsey racing for the stage II head, and then put everything together myself. I'll also be ordering a 3" exhaust from lindsey for use with the super 61 turbo with the p trim and 10cm hotside..and stage 2 maf.
Take it easy Tigger! Since you seem to be a regular on here, and appear to believe in Chris's work, so why not shoot him an email if you haven't already? Don't make any hasty desicions or plans yet. Why not talk to an expert and discuss what your options are? Nobody says you have to go out and get it sleeved. I think it would be most prudent to talk to him, let him know your budget, usage, expected BHP goals, time frames, and all those other good things too. And after you have an indepth conversation, then from there you can decide what's best for you. Anyway, that is my 2 cents and what I would do.

Keep us posetd...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Ive already told chris ill be annoying him for the next few weeks while I make up my mind

Im not set in stone on anything yet, just throwing out the best I have so maybe you guys can help me make it better.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I would just go with the 2.5 liter. The cost difference is pretty big $$$

Quick Reply: Engine builder in southeast *** Now project thread with pics