Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Change Crush ring between turbo and downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:05 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Change Crush ring between turbo and downpipe

Is it possible to change the crush ring between the turbo and the downpipe without taking out the turbo?

( I have a exhaust leak between the turbo and the downpipe)
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. It's a real PIA. Be sure to soak the 3 nuts really well or they will snap. I f yours is as rusty as mine was you may want to invest in a set of bolt outs like Sears sells, although I don't think you have Sears there. I am doing a second car right now and I hope experience from the q1st one makes it easier. From there it's not too hard to drop tghe rest of the exhaust. You will need someone to hang onto the tailpipe and turn the exhaust to get it to clear everything while you guide it out.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I honestly think you could save yourself some trouble by pulling the turbo off. I have never attempted to pull the downpipe off the turbo with it in the car, but it looks near impossible. I don't know how you would get to the bottom two bolts??? Pulling the turbo really isn't a horrible job, but can be intimidating / frustrating the first few times This is a good chance to replace all the seals and be sure everything is working properly. Use the advice above and soak everything really well, but be prepared to break some harware, or at the very least strip the threads out of some locknuts. I would highly recomend replacing the locknuts as well even if they do come off intact. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Change Crush ring between turbo and downpipe