Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question(s) for those who have rebuilt their throttle body, stop screw needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question(s) for those who have rebuilt their throttle body, stop screw needed

Last night I rebuilt my throttle body using the Arnworx kit (great kit!!!...perfect 3 beer job HA!).
Everything went together without issue but I'm unsure whether my throttle plate is sealing to the bore correctly. When I first took the TB apart it had the usual light oil coating inside and I didn't notice any airgap between the throttle plate and the TB bore. Now that everything is clean and reassembled when I hold the TB up to the light I can see a hallo of light around the throttle plate. I was under the assumption that the plate closes completely to the bore and at that point idle air intake is controlled by the idle set screw, am I correct in that assumption? Does this look correct?

- throttle plate is in the correct orientation, beveled edges are correct w/ the edges of the bore.
- as pictured the throttle cam stop screw is completely out.
- all thin washers are installed correctly.
- 13mm nut is torqued to 6 inch/lbs.
- circlip is sitting in it's grove.
- no side to side play in the shaft.
- new TPS is adjusted correctly (not holing up rotation of the shaft).
- Return spring is tight/has tension w/ the throttle plate closed.
- one thing I haven't done yet is thread lock the throttle plate screws and peen them so there maybe some slight adjustment there. What thread locker is everyone using?

And anyone have a throttle cam stop adjustment screw? I need a new one, one of the slotted screwdriver tangs broke off on mine.

As always TIA!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
turbo8
Pro

i have the screw, i would think it wold be easier to just go to the store and buy one, might have to modify it.

there shouldnt be a gap between the throttle plate, you need to get in the right place, and make sure its in the right way
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheetah chrome,
Mine is just like you'res, and turbo8 is making me believe something is probably wrong. Yet i have no problems with the car's idle, drivability.......
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

just rebuilt mine and like turbo8 says there should not be any gap. I used an Allen bolt (M4 ?) so's I wouldn't have to keep replacing the damn screw every time it broke.

Hi Sam
Old 01-09-2007, 02:08 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turbo8,
Thanks! I can spot out the difference by looking at your photo.

It's not easy to see in my photo but there is a faded blue arrow on the throttle plate that points towards the idle control screws bypass "tunnel". I put it there before disassembly (per Arnworx instructions) to ensure it got back together as originally assembled. One thing I also noted before disassembly was that the number "4" that's stamped into the plate is opposite of the arrow I drew. So that makes sense...the plate is flipped over end making the beveling appear to be correct upon inspection but not lining up perfect once closed. It lookss as though a PO had swapped my plate around during a previous rebuild. Thanks again...gotta love the 'list!

What thread locker has everyone been using?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
2bridges
Drifting

nevermind - I replied about idle speed screw not stop screw
Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheetah chrome
Turbo8,
Thanks! I can spot out the difference by looking at your photo.

It's not easy to see in my photo but there is a faded blue arrow on the throttle plate that points towards the idle control screws bypass "tunnel". I put it there before disassembly (per Arnworx instructions) to ensure it got back together as originally assembled. One thing I also noted before disassembly was that the number "4" that's stamped into the plate is opposite of the arrow I drew. So that makes sense...the plate is flipped over end making the beveling appear to be correct upon inspection but not lining up perfect once closed. It lookss as though a PO had swapped my plate around during a previous rebuild. Thanks again...gotta love the 'list!

What thread locker has everyone been using?

Looks like i ned to do the same

Hey Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last night I had a chance to tinker w/ the throttle body and still wasn't able to get it to completely close. I swapped the plate around in all (4) possible positions and the only one that comes close to completely sealing is as I had originally disassembled/reassembled it. I then pulled the entire shaft and just hand fit the plate into the bore to see if it would totally seal...and no dice. Inspecting my throttle plate itself: on one side of the plate where the both opposite bevelings meets up in the center (the area of the plate that is "sandwiched" by the shaft there is noticable machining/wear. That may not be the best description...I'll get a picture this afternoon. Anywho, it looks like my throttle plate was either a manufacturing error (w/in tolerance maybe???) or has warn over the years? I got it completely reassembled last night and minimize the "hallo" air gap as much as possible but there's still a hallo of light leaking around it.

Does anyone have a good throttle plate they want to get rid off?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:48 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post. Not much I can contribute but I always mark my plate before I pull it but admit that I've had problems getting it oriented correctly too. The majic marker I ususally use will wash off with most clean-up, some people put a scratch in the plate. I don't think you can rely on the stamped number being the same on all TBs. But you're right to check it close because a little stickiness in the throttle will mean a high or irregular idle, which is very irritating. On the thread locker, I used the common blue stuff, at any autoparts store. Thread locker is an added measure of insurance, not OEM....Bruce
Old 11-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Tampa 928s
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

86 sticking
The Throttle plate is sticking when wot is let off quickly causing a 150-200 Rpm increase at idle. Bearings check out everything looks good but it’s binding on two spots “hard to see in the pictures. Also the factory TP stop screw is not touching the stop and has no effect on its resting position. Everything I read says to leave this adjustment stop alone it was set at the factory but have no idea if it’s been messed with.
Do I adjust the screw to stop the binding or is the plate out of round and needs a little sanding?
I can see at two points that the Throttle Plate that are binding I have tried all orientations of the plate it’s such a small amount there must be a way to correct this.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Question(s) for those who have rebuilt their throttle body, stop screw needed