How Many Miles Are Low Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weedo
Those of us with mint 951's may be saying "Man, I wish I would have kept that ol' 951 I had years ago, look what it's worth now!". Just never know...
As much as I'd love to believe you, after having owned a few in "mint" condition, I just don't see that ever happening. Maybe we should get Defastest951 to fix his car, call BJ again, and see if they will take his car. I know it's totally modded and not stock, but still. I wonder what now in 2007 they think it's worth on their selling block? If I recall, and I could be wrong, Joe said they could get $60K for it? I'm not sure as I said, so maybe Joe will chime in.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
As much as I'd love to believe you, after having owned a few in "mint" condition, I just don't see that ever happening. Maybe we should get Defastest951 to fix his car, call BJ again, and see if they will take his car. I know it's totally modded and not stock, but still. I wonder what now in 2007 they think it's worth on their selling block? If I recall, and I could be wrong, Joe said they could get $60K for it? I'm not sure as I said, so maybe Joe will chime in.

This is my 3rd 951 and I have yet to see anything even remotely close to it. Agreed, you may find a tiny itty bitty nick from a rock here and there on the front end. But the seats are flawless, the carpet has no issues, the dash is 100% perfect, the rims have been factory refurbished, the paint is shiny and wet in appearance, the engine bay is probably close to showroom... I could go on but you can see the pictures for yourself. If I called it a 9.5 it would mean I'm being hard on the car.

But we're not here to talk about my car!

It will be interesting to see if anything changes in the value in 4 years when the 86 Turbo's become a quarter century old!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Long story short, I'm asking $14,900 which seams insanely cheap. But that's really all it is worth "right now".
Best wishes in selling what sounds like a truly beautiful car.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

....and then you have cars like this. My Turbo S came into the family with 65K on the odo. Perfect interior, but for the four carpet flaps the were opened for a roll bar. The car was lightly modded with dual port Tial and upgraded to 968 M030 specs including factory real coilovers. Window sticker, original factory paperwork, air compressor and all receipts in place since 97 came in the deal.

Likely was first owned by Paul Foster and campaigned in Northeastern PCA Club Races. Later owned by Paul Gissonia, David Barton and entered the family through my brother in Altanta. Car was first sold by Jack Daniels Motors in NJ, came south with Barton who didn't even title it, IIRC. Now resides with me in Maryland.

I finished the job on chassis upgrades, swapping in 30 mm front bar, new control arms with brake diverters and M030 caster blocks. Sorted through engine management, now with OE chips back in place controlled by Lindsey MBC and mechanical boost gauge and removed the factory cat and downpipe for 3" B&B stainless bypass.

Used the third hole in the Lindsey console plate for a VDO analog clock for easier reading. Removed factory radio and equalizer, placed the gauge plate inverted in the radio slot and installed a factory change cubby in the bottom. This also places the boost **** closer to the driver

Car is a survivor. Mechanically 100% perfect. Everything works. Paint is just pretty from 10 ft but shows the ravages of a track career up close. Car was hit once, nothing major but the roll bar hitting the roof caused a small stress crack in the exterior roof panel that I plan to get welded when I finally repaint someday.

It sits with me now at 79K as nice weather driver, all removed factory pieces remain in storage in perfect condition including removed bars, removed control arms, radio and EQ, removed cat/downpipe and OE wastegate and crossover pipe.

My brother paid $13.5 for the car and sold it to me for that same price after only putting 4K on the car in two years. The point in sharing is simply this....IMO, I could easily take this car to 95 point pristine condition for $5-6K at which time it MIGHT be worth $18-19K, making all the work a wash against value AND increasing my heartburn about dings, driving and parking it.

To each his own, of course, but my combo of an always-apart track car NA, nicely prepared but not worth the sum of it's parts....and a mechanically strong, complete but cosmetically average Turbo S is just about the perfect Porsche experience for me

If the market turns around some day, great. If it doesn't, I'm still the cat that ate the canary in smiles per mile.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Weedo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
....and then you have cars like this. My Turbo S came into the family with 65K on the odo. Perfect interior, but for the four carpet flaps the were opened for a roll bar. The car was lightly modded with dual port Tial and upgraded to 968 M030 specs including factory real coilovers. Window sticker, original factory paperwork, air compressor and all receipts in place since 97 came in the deal.

Likely was first owned by Paul Foster and campaigned in Northeastern PCA Club Races. Later owned by Paul Gissonia, David Barton and entered the family through my brother in Altanta. Car was first sold by Jack Daniels Motors in NJ, came south with Barton who didn't even title it, IIRC. Now resides with me in Maryland.

I finished the job on chassis upgrades, swapping in 30 mm front bar, new control arms with brake diverters and M030 caster blocks. Sorted through engine management, now with OE chips back in place controlled by Lindsey MBC and mechanical boost gauge and removed the factory cat and downpipe for 3" B&B stainless bypass.

Used the third hole in the Lindsey console plate for a VDO analog clock for easier reading. Removed factory radio and equalizer, placed the gauge plate inverted in the radio slot and installed a factory change cubby in the bottom. This also places the boost **** closer to the driver

Car is a survivor. Mechanically 100% perfect. Everything works. Paint is just pretty from 10 ft but shows the ravages of a track career up close. Car was hit once, nothing major but the roll bar hitting the roof caused a small stress crack in the exterior roof panel that I plan to get welded when I finally repaint someday.

It sits with me now at 79K as nice weather driver, all removed factory pieces remain in storage in perfect condition including removed bars, removed control arms, radio and EQ, removed cat/downpipe and OE wastegate and crossover pipe.

My brother paid $13.5 for the car and sold it to me for that same price after only putting 4K on the car in two years. The point in sharing is simply this....IMO, I could easily take this car to 95 point pristine condition for $5-6K at which time it MIGHT be worth $18-19K, making all the work a wash against value AND increasing my heartburn about dings, driving and parking it.

To each his own, of course, but my combo of an always-apart track car NA, nicely prepared but not worth the sum of it's parts....and a mechanically strong, complete but cosmetically average Turbo S is just about the perfect Porsche experience for me

If the market turns around some day, great. If it doesn't, I'm still the cat that ate the canary in smiles per mile.
And the best part is that cars like ours will not go down in value. If they're, say, $14,000 now, they'll be $14,000 next year, and the year after. When I bought my last 951 about 4 years ago a friend of mine introduced me to a guy that had a perfect '86 with about 38k on the clock. He wanted $18k if he was going to sell it. It wasn't for sale though. It now is for sale, again for $18k. He was offered $17k but wouldn't take it. Everyone is an expert when it comes to "car values". Something I always remember; I've NEVER sold a car where someone didn't tell me my car was worth less than what I was asking!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the market is good for drivers, not just buyers. People buy 951s because they are great handling fun to drive cars, not collector cars. I'm sure some people who own them wish they were worth more, but for a buyer they are probably the best performance car value out there. I was originally looking for an E36 M3 when I bought my car and I paid about half what a nice M3 would have cost, and got twice the car (my opinion), couldn't resist a deal like that
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Ebay 951s With Low Milage...

In line with this thread, if you guys go to eBay right now, you'll see at least about 3 or 4 cars with very low miles and in excellent shape too. One that stood out to me was the one that is an 1987, some mods, great shape, 33K on it, and "buy it now" price of $26K? This car in particular has been listed now "3" times. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, he isn't going to get that money for that car, at least not from an "educated" or current 951 owner. But go and take a look at these cars. If nothing else, at least you can see some very nice low mileage cars.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

I think anything over 28,000 miles (then add another 3000 miles per year from here on out) is high mileage.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SeaCay
I think anything over 28,000 miles (then add another 3000 miles per year from here on out) is high mileage.
You're nuts....

Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Weedo
Intermediate

In line with this thread, if you guys go to eBay right now, you'll see at least about 3 or 4 cars with very low miles and in excellent shape too. One that stood out to me was the one that is an 1987, some mods, great shape, 33K on it, and "buy it now" price of $26K? This car in particular has been listed now "3" times. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, he isn't going to get that money for that car, at least not from an "educated" or current 951 owner. But go and take a look at these cars. If nothing else, at least you can see some very nice low mileage cars.

Yep, mine's on there now. There are a few nice ones out there right now (which doesn't seem to happen often). I'm not a "red" fan at all, but there are even some nice red ones!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep, mine's on there now. There are a few nice ones out there right now (which doesn't seem to happen often). I'm not a "red" fan at all, but there are even some nice red ones!
Good luck..

Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Anybody buying Joe's car for $60k would be buying something that would cost a lot more to recreate. I still think Joe has one of the most usable cars on Rennlist.
He seems a nice bloke too, and has a babe girlfriend........ Christ don't you hate the guy!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tommo951
Anybody buying Joe's car for $60k would be buying something that would cost a lot more to recreate. I still think Joe has one of the most usable cars on Rennlist. He seems a nice bloke too, and has a babe girlfriend........ Christ don't you hate the guy!!!!
Your funny Tom!

Quick Reply: How Many Miles Are Low Miles?