Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780

I nominate this as the Rennlist Quote of the Day!
I 2nd that nomination.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bolted on the new clutch and flywheel assembly. Had to drill out three flywheel bolts to get the old stuff out. The disc was BADLY worn after under 15K miles. The flywheel showed wear and too much slippage.

Installing new CV boots and associated stuff tomorrow. The fork was worn and Sean is building it back up, or we will get a new one.

Review on the clutch to come very soon.

George
Old 01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
The disc was BADLY worn after under 15K miles. The flywheel showed wear and too much slippage.

George
Was this the 930 disk and KEP PP on the 400+ hp motor?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
George D
Drifting

I would consider 30PSI, but I can only register up to 25psi. I'll hit that one of these mornings and see what happens. Russell, I hit 13/1 AF at 6500 yesterday at 23psi. Once the car is back from the clutch, I'll hook up my laptop to the Mafterburner software and see if I can't richen up the fuel at high rpm's and bring the boost up higher.

Your chips are at 10.5 at 5K at 23psi! I think I can richen things up with a little tuning at high boost.

George
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM
George D
Drifting

Was this the 930 disk and KEP PP on the 400+ hp motor?

No, this is a different car with a STOCK cup clutch, but with over 400 wheel hp, but only 350wt. It would hold till about 5K then, at times, hit the revlimiter if the boost was over 20psi. This was fairly often, so the clutch was FRIED.

The pressure plate is fine, of course. Flywheel going to Gomes for my core!

George
Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I would consider 30PSI, but I can only register up to 25psi. I'll hit that one of these mornings and see what happens. Russell, I hit 13/1 AF at 6500 yesterday at 23psi. Once the car is back from the clutch, I'll hook up my laptop to the Mafterburner software and see if I can't richen up the fuel at high rpm's and bring the boost up higher.

Your chips are at 10.5 at 5K at 23psi! I think I can richen things up with a little tuning at high boost.

George
You need to lean up that mid range and get 5K to 11.5-11.8, 6500-7K should be between 11.7-12.1. I think with the map you have you can make those numbers with the mafterburner easy enough. That's a big turbo, if you can get the 2800-3500 range in the 11.7-12.1 range you'll spool up a little quicker. I would like to see another dyno with the new clutch, don't blow it up till then please
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I have a feeling might be doing this in the next year. Any bay area people can help
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM
DivineE
Racer

Unhappy

I took him out in my car yesterday so he could see how badly 400whp slips a cup clutch. There won't be any more of that with this new clutch and flywheel setup.
This does not sound good!!! My car is currently being built with a figure of 400rwhp in mind (hopefully at least) the clutch waiting to go in is a cup clutch! Gulp!

Are you sure this is not a faulty unit because if it is seriously not going to be adequate I will have to make phone calls PDQ to inform the nice chap building the car. I had hoped that with a clutch that is supposedly solid for 400+ flywheel hp it would simply spin the wheels before clutch slip became a problem?! What size tires are you using and are they road tires?

Ben
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
George D
Drifting

Ben,

It's false economy to put a stock clutch (cup) in your car if you are going over 300 wheel hp. Don't do it, as you will be replacing it if you are driving aggressively much sooner than designed to last.

If you are staying under 400 wheel hp, the Kennedy PP and 930 disc is the better option for your car. It will last twice as long as the cup components.

It's not that much more than the cup clutch, and you will really like the setup.

George
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
George D
Drifting

I'm running 275/40/17 on the rears of my car.

George
Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would consider 30PSI, but I can only register up to 25psi. I'll hit that one of these mornings and see what happens.
Wow, that daring eh? Now you are heading at the Special Tool boost levels. This should be very interesting, let us know if you actually do runs that high. And make sure you have dyno charts and datalogs too, for I'm sure everyone would love to see those.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
George D
Drifting

RolexNJ,

I won't go above 25psi. Granted, I'd like to build a bigger motor, but I don't want to be an IDIOT either. What I meant was that when I get my car tuned better at high rpm's, I'll attempt 25psi. The car hit 24 the other morning, but the clutch slipped really badly and couldn't hold. The A/F went up to 13/1 when this happened, and that's just too lean.

George
Old 01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RolexNJ, I won't go above 25psi. Granted, I'd like to build a bigger motor, but I don't want to be an IDIOT either.
I got it. Why don't you list your mods under your signature so people know what you have, just a thought? Some people do it.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:18 PM
DivineE
Racer

Ben,

It's false economy to put a stock clutch (cup) in your car if you are going over 300 wheel hp. Don't do it, as you will be replacing it if you are driving aggressively much sooner than designed to last.

If you are staying under 400 wheel hp, the Kennedy PP and 930 disc is the better option for your car. It will last twice as long as the cup components.

It's not that much more than the cup clutch, and you will really like the setup.
Oh I didn't know the standard clutch was referred to as the cup clutch!

Sorry with the barrage of questions but what was the name of the clutch used in the 944 turbo cup car, was it different to the standard turbo? That’s the one I thought was being specified, or it might have been the 968 turbo clutch I can’t remember? Was this a stronger unit than the standard 'cup' clutch? Also I meant I was hoping for over 400rwhp. Would the clutch you’re installing be suitable at all for road use? I don't want to end up with a clutch that drives like the spec products but not sure I can avoid it if I drive hard?

Regards,

Ben

p.s. I love those wheels you have on your car. What was the name again and are they available with a deeper dish for the early offset turbo's? If so I could be tempted!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
George D
Drifting

Oh I didn't know the standard clutch was referred to as the cup clutch!

Sorry with the barrage of questions but what was the name of the clutch used in the 944 turbo cup car, was it different to the standard turbo? That’s the one I thought was being specified, or it might have been the 968 turbo clutch I can’t remember? Was this a stronger unit than the standard 'cup' clutch? Also I meant I was hoping for over 400rwhp. Would the clutch you’re installing be suitable at all for road use? I don't want to end up with a clutch that drives like the spec products but not sure I can avoid it if I drive hard?

Regards,

Ben

p.s. I love those wheels you have on your car. What was the name again and are they available with a deeper dish for the early offset turbo's? If so I could be tempted!

Ben,

The cup clutch is stronger than the standard 951 clutch. They have different part numbers. If you go with the Kennedy Pressue Plate and the 930 disc for your car, it will run almost just like stock. You will have a clutch that will stand up to the hp that you are considering for your car.

My cup disc was fried when we took it out after about 15K miles on it. This car was hitting 430 at the wheels and the disc was almost completly worn. These clutches are a pain to install, so put in a good one.

Regards,

George

Quick Reply: Rennlist