Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

starter kickback

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 AM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter kickback

I recently replaced a clutch on my 3.0 turbo and I developed a kickback of the starter 50% of the time I try starting the car. The kickback is from advanced ignition but the car runs completly normal.I am using the DME KLR from a 89 turbo. I have swapped DME, KLR, reference sensors,coil,starter,every component that was suspect.There is a 12v signal that goes to the DME#4 in the cranking mode which seems to be fine.All grounds check out and power supplys.The timing at idle is about 5deg BTDC. At cranking it is around TDC.I did try a test with the time light on cyl#1 and cyl#4 at the same time while cranking. When cyl # 1 fired first the car started normal. Sometimes cyl#4 would fire as soon as I turned the key ,before cyl#1 fired and this is when there would be starter kickback.Now the way I see it The #1 cylinder would have to fire first at cranking to reference the timing of the others.If the flywheel pickup was just past the ref sensor wouldnt it have to travel a full revolution before it sent a signal to the coil and it would fire cyl#1 first.Can anyone think of something that would trigger the coil at the first start of cranking. And if something was trigering the ref sensorto fire at the wrong time wouldnt it always fire # 1 cyl first. Thanks for any help
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

There was once a belief that electrical interference from spark plug wires (or other electronics) could cause a false TDC pulse in the ref sensor cables, and cause the starter to kick back. Not sure anyone ever validated that theory though. I thought I had that problem, but it turned out to be a bad starter.

Quick Reply: starter kickback