Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Profec B Spec II vs. Profec Type S

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profec B Spec II vs. Profec Type S

What are the functional differences between the Profec B SpecII and the Profec Type S, other than the BII's display capabilities?

I've read that they both have a larger solenoid than the original B. Also, did the original B have dual solenoids, while the newer BII and Type S have single solenoids?

Is either the BII or S better at controlling boost (for a 15psi level)? Spikes, consistency, etc.?

As far as purchasing -- Are ebay or online-only merchants generally safe for these units, or are there grey market units without warranty out there?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I only have the orignal profec B the dual solenoid i dunno if i can help you out.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Type-S in my car, and I have no complaints with it. Seems to hold boost well, however, I think my turbo has trouble at the top end, as my boost seems to bleed out towards red line. I run my car at 15psi everyday, but I have an 18psi chipset, so my "high" boost level on the Type-S is set for 18psi. Both seem to hold well, until red line like I said.

I have a tial wastegate, so I am pretty sure its my turbo that is bleeding the boost.

I went with the Type-S over the BII because I was told the S had a larger solenoid than the BII, however I am not sure if that is actually the case or not. Its a newer boost controller too, so hopefully they improved upon the BII.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

I just re-read the manuals (if they can be called that) for the BII and the S on the Greddy site.

Looks like a possibly significant difference is that the gain adjustment on the S affects both high and low boost settings, whereas the gain setting on the BII can be set independently for each low and high boost settings. Additionally, the BII allows for a "start" boost setting which can (should) be set close to the desired "set" boost setting. Seems like there are two parameters to adjust to fine tune each of the two (high and low) boost settings, as opposed to the S's single gain adjustment for both high and low boost settings.

Both units also use the same single solenoid.

Though I generally don't like extra bells and whistles, I'm seriously leaning toward the BII for its extra fine tuning capabilities. Hopefully I can get it set and then forget about it.

Matt --
I assume you're using the stock K26/6. Whose 18psi chip are you using? How are your AFRs at 15psi? A little rich?

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: Profec B Spec II vs. Profec Type S